Samsung asks New Yorkers to compare Apple's iPad Air to Galaxy Tab S in new ad

Comments

• Reply 41 of 104
    If you want to get into the commercial praise Samsung! lol
  • Reply 42 of 104
    crossladcrosslad Posts: 527member
    No thanks Samsung. I bought a Tab 2 7" tablet to take on holiday with me rather than take my iPad 2. Had to return the first one with a faulty screen. Second one developed a hairline crack in the plastic case near the headphone socket. Tab 2 was fine at first but is now really laggy and screen us not very responsive at the edge of the screen. I have replaced it with an iPad mini retina now which is much better than the Tab 2. iPad 2 is still going strong and never shows any signs of lag. The Tab 2 is definitely the last Samsung tablet I will purchase. Once bitten, twice shy.
  • Reply 43 of 104
    A lot of hurt feelings here.
  • Reply 44 of 104
    blazarblazar Posts: 270member
    The fact that apple are in a position where they dont have to do the mac vs pc ads anymore speaks volumes.

If you have tell people you are king... You aren't the king. (Paraphrased from Game of Thrones)
  • Reply 45 of 104
    crossladcrosslad Posts: 527member
    beltsbear wrote: »
    Not a hard ad to make.  Show products, toss out pro Apple responses.  They don't even need to guild the respondents if they have time enough.  Sleazy ways to make their job easier:

Go outside in bright light and turn down Apple product.
    Use older Apple product.
    Use blown out color profile which looks better at first glance but is glaring and inaccurate. 
    Talk up spec war crap (like pixels the human eye cant see but eat battery life and speed)

I would never trust a Samsung advert to give a honest view. Remember when they got caught paying students to post poor reviews on HTC phones.
  • Reply 46 of 104
    mstone wrote: »
    I'm sure the screen is bright and saturated, but is it color accurate? It makes sense to stick with your own ecosystem though. If you have a Samsung phone then a Samsung tablet fits. My ecosystem is all Apple so I would never consider a Samsung device. All the important people in my life have iOS so iMessage and Facetime are must haves for me. 

All the import people in my life are also on iOS except my wife who will be Gazelling a note 3 once big iPhone is out
  • Reply 47 of 104
    koopkoop Posts: 337member

I own the Tab S and the iPad Air. Other than the screen, the Tab S isn't a very good tablet. It stutters, lags and has a ton of bloatware. The screen is better than the iPad however, so far those who just use it to watch movies and read comics, it's a better buy. For everything else? Not even close.

• Reply 48 of 104
    apple ][apple ][ Posts: 9,233member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by koop View Post

I own the Tab S and the iPad Air. Other than the screen, the Tab S isn't a very good tablet. It stutters, lags and has a ton of bloatware. The screen is better than the iPad however, so far those who just use it to watch movies and read comics, it's a better buy. For everything else? Not even close.

Even if it were true that the Samsung screen scores slightly higher than an iPad Air screen on tests, it still makes no sense to get one, even if watching movies and reading comics is the priority because of the other things that you mentioned. 

And the iPad Air has a very nice display, better than what 99% of average people have ever used in their lives.

• Reply 49 of 104
    cnocbuicnocbui Posts: 3,613member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by MagMan1979 View Post

It's beyond pathetic actually, it'll be the single greatest cause of their eventual demise, right behind the fact their products are such junk!

And I've seen those Super AMOLED screens in person, the excessive colour saturation their exhibit cannot be described until you see it for yourself, it's amazing how unnatural the image is!

I thought that as well at first, but when you forward frame-by-frame, you'll eventually notice that it's actually just the letter boxing of the image they used. Once the sun reflects off the iPad, you can identify the thinner side bezel which is the iPad Air. As much as I despise Samsung and their ways, this time they didn't fake that scene.

I was going to say I bet this was all fixed by cash handouts, because Samsung has been caught doing this in the past on blogs. I wouldn't put it past them. But on the same token, I actually know people who are so dumb and tech illiterate they take Scamsung's word at face value and don't question the marketing speak. Those people deserve whatever Scamsung feeds them, because both are equally stupid.

Unfortunately I know people who are stupid enough to believe this crap at face value, and denounce anyone with anything negative to say about Samsung. I've argued with some of my co-workers who are die-hard Samsung'ers, and they're really sad people.

Samsung products are not junk.  Apple uses their products in almost every piece of significant hardware they make.  Apple have tried very hard to part from Samsung as a supplier but have clearly been unable to.  Time and time again we get AI articles about LG, Sharp, TMSC and others being rumoured to be in line as suppliers, and more often than not, they turn out to be false and Samsung eventually gets the gig.  Even when they do get a gig, the alternative suppliers frequently can't turn out a quality product and Apple has to go back to Samsung cap-in-hand and ask nicely if they wouldn't mind picking up the slack so they can put decent screens in their Macbook Pro Retinas or iPad Minis.

Weren't Apple rumoured to have invested billions in  Sharp to try and help them get up to Samsung's speed and quality?  Hardly necessary if Samsung only makes junk.

I have had two Samsung phones.  One is 5 years old and the other 4.  The 5 year old one I gave to my son 4 years ago and has just been retired because the battery wasn't holding much charge, I am still using the other one and it's still on it's original battery.  Both phones have worked perfectly given daily continuous use with the batteries being the only aspects not like new.  In stark contrast, I bought my daughter an iPhone 5 and it's battery was completely stuffed after only two years and I replaced it just before Apple owned up to the problem and instituted a replacement program.  Perhaps they should have had Samsung supply the batteries.

The reason the colours on those Amoled screens are so saturated is because the users haven't gone into the settings and chosen the one that delivers accurate colour reproduction.  When reviewers enable that mode and test them, they tend to turn in a very decent performance. Arguably Samsung should enable the accurate saturation as the default but they seem to think the pop will appeal to more people.  The Amoled screens are not junk.

Don't believe me?  Perhaps you might believe Anandtech:

Quote:

As it’s the most accurate setting, I ran all of our comparison data with the basic mode enabled. In this mode the Galaxy Tab S’ display is among the best we’ve ever tested. On top of having good color accuracy, the new display delivers the awesome contrast ratio that AMOLED displays are known for. As you’ll see later on, there are definite power benefits as well when it comes to watching movies on these displays.

The Galaxy Tab S is easily the most compelling tablet family Samsung has ever released. The devices are incredibly thin, very light and boast displays that can be easily configured to be among the most accurate in the industry.

http://anandtech.com/show/8197/samsung-galaxy-tab-s-review-105-84inch/2

As for this marketing strategy, I remember the "I'm a Mac" ads.  They were humorous, far more tastefully done and just so much more slick, but they were fundamentally still comparing A to B and saying ours is better than theirs.

I do think Samsung shouldn't be constantly running ads comparing their products to Apple's.  It smacks of desperation and is likely counter-productive for many as it obviously portrays Apple products as a standard to beat.

• Reply 50 of 104

I honestly wouldn't know about Samsung's screens as I could care less about their inferior products...

• Reply 51 of 104
    gumbigumbi Posts: 148member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by MagMan1979 View Post

Wrong, they don't make the best, not by a LONG shot! And BTW, DisplayMate lost me when they rated Scamsung screens as #2 and #3 behind Surface. While the Surface does have a nice screen, visually in person it's a tie with the iPad Air. The Scamcrap screens are so over-saturated and unnatural I now don't trust DisplayMate anymore with their ratings.

Except that they didn't rate them #2 and #3 behind Surface.  The Galaxy Tab S 10.5 was still #1 - just barely edging out the SP3.  SP3 is #2.  iPad is #4.

So, how do they not make the best screen when they have the #1 screen currently on the market?  So, who in you mind does make he best screen?  It's not apple since they don't even make their screens (I believe LG is making the screen for the iPad Air)..

• Reply 52 of 104
    chabigchabig Posts: 641member

It's not often that AppleInsider so badly fails at headline writing. The headline should read, "Samsung Uses Scripted Actors to Compare Apple's iPad Air to Galaxy Tab S".

• Reply 53 of 104
    gumbigumbi Posts: 148member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Apple ][ View Post

Even if it were true that the Samsung screen scores slightly higher than an iPad Air screen on tests, it still makes no sense to get one, even if watching movies and reading comics is the priority because of the other things that you mentioned. 

And the iPad Air has a very nice display, better than what 99% of average people have ever used in their lives.

It's not just slightly higher.  The iPad Air is like #4 on the list now.

• Reply 54 of 104
    dasanman69dasanman69 Posts: 13,002member
    jupiterone wrote: »
    My ecosystem is all Apple too.....so much so that I didn't even consider a Samsung refrigerator last weekend when I had to go out and buy one. ;)

So how's that Apple refrigerator working for you?
  • Reply 55 of 104
    @indianacajones - Yes it is. The iPad Air is the first full sized iPad to have the thinner bezel on the side, which this one clearly has. If it were an iPad 4, it would have the thick bezel all the way around.
  • Reply 56 of 104
    512ke512ke Posts: 782member

Samsung's profits have been declining for a while now, while Apple's are rising.  Clearly, Samsung's current strategy of relentlessly copying and comparing itself to Apple is not working.  Therefore, Samsung simply made an irrational decision to continue doing what is not working.

• Reply 57 of 104
    mstonemstone Posts: 11,510member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by 512ke View Post

Samsung's profits have been declining for a while now, while Apple's are rising.  Clearly, Samsung's current strategy of relentlessly copying and comparing itself to Apple is not working.  Therefore, Samsung simply made an irrational decision to continue doing what is not working.

For a company like Samsung, it is difficult to say specifically what is working and what is not with their advertising. They have announced that their profits are down due to things like smartphone saturation, but they have never had much luck with their tablets. The thing that Samsung lacks compared to Apple or Microsoft, is an operating system. Apple has a halo factor working for them because they have unique phone, tablet, computer and aTV box. Microsoft has all of that too, but Samsung can't get a halo going with their stuff because dozens of other manufacturers have Android phones and Android tablets. People like synergy and Samsung doesn't have it.

• Reply 58 of 104
    paxmanpaxman Posts: 4,729member
    sog35 wrote: »
    Successful?

Samdung's profits are down 25%
    They wouldn't keep ragging at Apple if it didn't work. They would change tack. When you say Samsung's profits are down you need to be specific. I'm not doubting you but they are a massive company with so many products in so many areas that simply stating that their profits are down is a meaningless way to asses the effectiveness of a single campaign for a single product segment. Their tablets have been selling poorly so perhaps coat tailing Apple and comparing specs are dramatically increasing their sales.
  • Reply 59 of 104
    lol, SameSong is so desperate.
  • Reply 60 of 104
    mvigodmvigod Posts: 172member

I wonder what the comments would be if this same ad was posted on one of the android forum websites?  Amazing what confirmation bias will do for responses to the very same stimulus.