Samsung asks New Yorkers to compare Apple's iPad Air to Galaxy Tab S in new ad

Comments

• Reply 61 of 104
    mhiklmhikl Posts: 471member

Apple is biding its time. Like a cougar, its pounce will be swift to successful.

Expect “Mac vs. Samsung” Ads coming to a TV in your home. I would suggest animation: a floating pig and the graceful swan.

• Reply 62 of 104
    For some reason this ad reminds me of the Microsoft "PC hunters" ad campaign from a few years back, where a so-called "real" consumer magically prefers a Windows laptop over a Mac, because Microsoft was going to buy it for her. Equally pathetic.

• Reply 63 of 104
    slurpyslurpy Posts: 5,382member

What a lazy, shitty ad. Anyone could make any such "reality tv" ad with any random product. Very childish, deceitful, and insulting to the audience, without an ounce of creativity. As if we're supposed to believe these people weren't coached on what to say, and the ones that didnt say what they were supposed to weren't edited out. 

• Reply 64 of 104
    Just as you think they couldn't get any more disparate. Yes because every person on earth with a brain would buy a fake pics of shit over an Original. They've hired acters just like the way they changed negative reviews to positive for the galaxy s5.
  • Reply 65 of 104
    magman1979magman1979 Posts: 1,292member
    cnocbui wrote: »
    Samsung products are not junk.  Apple uses their products in almost every piece of significant hardware they make.  Apple have tried very hard to part from Samsung as a supplier but have clearly been unable to.  Time and time again we get AI articles about LG, Sharp, TMSC and others being rumoured to be in line as suppliers, and more often than not, they turn out to be false and Samsung eventually gets the gig.  Even when they do get a gig, the alternative suppliers frequently can't turn out a quality product and Apple has to go back to Samsung cap-in-hand and ask nicely if they wouldn't mind picking up the slack so they can put decent screens in their Macbook Pro Retinas or iPad Minis.

Weren't Apple rumoured to have invested billions in  Sharp to try and help them get up to Samsung's speed and quality?  Hardly necessary if Samsung only makes junk.

I have had two Samsung phones.  One is 5 years old and the other 4.  The 5 year old one I gave to my son 4 years ago and has just been retired because the battery wasn't holding much charge, I am still using the other one and it's still on it's original battery.  Both phones have worked perfectly given daily continuous use with the batteries being the only aspects not like new.  In stark contrast, I bought my daughter an iPhone 5 and it's battery was completely stuffed after only two years and I replaced it just before Apple owned up to the problem and instituted a replacement program.  Perhaps they should have had Samsung supply the batteries.

The reason the colours on those Amoled screens are so saturated is because the users haven't gone into the settings and chosen the one that delivers accurate colour reproduction.  When reviewers enable that mode and test them, they tend to turn in a very decent performance. Arguably Samsung should enable the accurate saturation as the default but they seem to think the pop will appeal to more people.  The Amoled screens are not junk.

Don't believe me?  Perhaps you might believe Anandtech:

http://anandtech.com/show/8197/samsung-galaxy-tab-s-review-105-84inch/2

As for this marketing strategy, I remember the "I'm a Mac" ads.  They were humorous, far more tastefully done and just so much more slick, but they were fundamentally still comparing A to B and saying ours is better than theirs.

I do think Samsung shouldn't be constantly running ads comparing their products to Apple's.  It smacks of desperation and is likely counter-productive for many as it obviously portrays Apple products as a standard to beat.

Your defence is quite weak... Samsung makes only a small fraction of the screens for iOS devices these days, as most are made by OU Optronics, LG, and Sharp, and guess what? They are magnificent, sRGB-certified screens that go into iPhone's and iPad Air's. As for the Samsung panels, guess what again? Those screens are made to Apple's requirements and specifications! These are NOT Samsung-designed screens, they are simply built by them! The panels must meet Apple's requirements and specifications. And let's also not forget the fact much of Samsung's OLED technology was stolen from LG.

The screens that Samsung puts in their devices, which BTW, they must ALSO outsource certain panel orders to third-parties if they cannot fabricate enough units for their own needs, are designed, engineered, and manufactured by them, and no one else. They call the shots, the specs, and tolerances of the displays. So I stand by my statement, Samsung panels in Samsung-branded devices are CRAP. I was just at Costco today where they had the proverbial suspect TV lineup: Sharp, Sony, LG, Samsung, and Vizio. The Sony and LG were the best looking, and most of the people around me were agreeing, on not just those few models. But, look around the store what do I see? Samsung billboards around the electronics department EVERYWHERE! Yeah, they are good at one thing, plastering themselves all over the place like a politician on a campaign trail!

As for the batteries, I would look at who actually makes those batteries, because neither Apple nor Samsung make their own batteries. Despite the big Samsung logo on the battery pack, if you look at the fine print, I GUARANTEE you'll find the real manufacturer. And Apple and Samsung have multiple vendors they use for battery packs. What does that tell me? Your particular phone had packs from a quality vendor, which is very rare on Android devices, and Apple unfortunately got a bunk batch from one of their suppliers, simple as that. This point actually shouldn't be used in any argument to defend Samsung.

As for the screen colours, let me get this straight... In order for the Samsung device to obtain near-sRGB colour gamut range, the user must first go into the settings and tweak the damn thing? How many average Joe Blow consumers in the world will actually DO THAT? My iPad, gee, I just pick it up, and it's already fully sRGB compliant and ready to go, no tweaking and colour calibrations needed. While I respect the articles from AnandTech most of the time, I seriously think they dropped the ball on this one. If the screen was THAT GOOD, which having seen them side-by-side to other devices and knowing they are NOT, they shouldn't praise a device that much if it needs to be calibrated first in order to obtain what the competition achieves right out of the box!
  • Reply 66 of 104
    magman1979 wrote: »

<snip>

As for the screen colours, let me get this straight... In order for the Samsung device to obtain near-sRGB colour gamut range, the user must first go into the settings and tweak the damn thing? How many average Joe Blow consumers in the world will actually DO THAT? My iPad, gee, I just pick it up, and it's already fully sRGB compliant and ready to go, no tweaking and colour calibrations needed....<snip>

I don't know about the iPad, but every Mac I've ever had, the first thing I have to do is calibrate the screen. They have an elaborate procedure for doing that in the "Display" section of System Preferences, but they ship with the screen set at an actinic blue glare that's really astonishing. The color temperature must be like 12,000 Kº! They apparently think we live on a planet of Rigel or something.

ETA: Now I know why the TV manufacturers do this—it's in search of brightness at all costs. If you remember your Stefan-Boltzmann Law, the radiation goes up with the fourth power of the temperature. Why Apple does it, I don't know.
  • Reply 67 of 104
    magman1979magman1979 Posts: 1,292member
    I don't know about the iPad, but every Mac I've ever had, the first thing I have to do is calibrate the screen. They have an elaborate procedure for doing that in the "Display" section of System Preferences, but they ship with the screen set at an actinic blue glare that's really astonishing. The color temperature must be like 12,000 Kº! They apparently think we live on a planet of Rigel or something.
    In my last post I was discussing panels going into mobile devices, not laptops and desktops. As for Mac's, I've only encountered a handful of units over the years that needed any sort of calibration; most are pre-calibrated to sRGB from the get go. From the sounds of it, you had a defective unit, because no screen should have a blueish tint of any kind. Also, a lot of people re-calibrate those types of devices anyway to ensure they work correctly in their production environments. Most mobile devices don't get placed into situations that require such exacting colour calibrations.
  • Reply 68 of 104
    magman1979 wrote: »
    In my last post I was discussing panels going into mobile devices, not laptops and desktops. As for Mac's, I've only encountered a handful of units over the years that needed any sort of calibration; most are pre-calibrated to sRGB from the get go. From the sounds of it, you had a defective unit, because no screen should have a blueish tint of any kind. Also, a lot of people re-calibrate those types of devices anyway to ensure they work correctly in their production environments. Most mobile devices don't get placed into situations that require such exacting colour calibrations.

Well, if you go in an Apple store, you'll see all the display models set to the same welding-arc color temperature, so they must consider it desirable from some point of view. Brightness-at-all-costs is the only reason I can think of.
  • Reply 69 of 104
    mstone wrote: »
    I'm sure the screen is bright and saturated, but is it color accurate? It makes sense to stick with your own ecosystem though. If you have a Samsung phone then a Samsung tablet fits. My ecosystem is all Apple so I would never consider a Samsung device. All the important people in my life have iOS so iMessage and Facetime are must haves for me. 

Such a stupid comment.

It doesn't make the blindest bit of sense to 'stick with your own ecosystem' if that ecosystem and the hardware it comes with are piles of shit.

You're effectively saying, 'Just go with what your friends have. Never mind if it's any good.'

You display a shallow, vacuous way of thinking, which does you no favours.
  • Reply 70 of 104
    andysol wrote: »

[CONTENTEMBED=/t/182022/samsung-asks-new-yorkers-to-compare-apples-ipad-air-to-galaxy-tab-s-in-new-ad#post_2586344 layout=inline]<span style="line-height:1.4em;">But let's teach the kids a lesson out there:</span>
    [/CONTENTEMBED]
    Samsung is never the right choice.
    Teach that to Tim Cook.

No; you need to learn that.
  • Reply 71 of 104
    apple ][ wrote: »
    What a crappy and desperate ad!

Only a fool would be fooled by such a deceptive, manipulative and lying ad, coming from the cheats known as Samsung. As their profits fall, their desperation increases, and they have some serious Apple jealousy, that they just can't hide.

What about the hundreds of clips of people who said that Apple is best?

Samsung just threw those away in the trash bin.

With manipulative and selective editing, you can walk around New York City and find people (dumbasses) who will say on camera that ebola is a good thing. There are dumbasses everywhere, and Samsung managed to find a few for their ad. They were also probably paid dumbasses.

They talk about the size and weight, because there's not much else to talk about.

Who cares about the size and weight, when it's running Android? It's like dating a skinny girl, but she happens to have AIDS! That's what an Android tablet is like. The size and weight is irrelevant when the inside is seriously sick and damaged.

So well said, as ever.
  • Reply 72 of 104
    mstonemstone Posts: 11,510member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Benjamin Frost View Post

Such a stupid comment.

It doesn't make the blindest bit of sense to 'stick with your own ecosystem' if that ecosystem and the hardware it comes with are piles of shit.

You're effectively saying, 'Just go with what your friends have. Never mind if it's any good.'

You display a shallow, vacuous way of thinking, which does you no favours.

Pile of shit does not begin to describe you.

• Reply 73 of 104
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Benjamin Frost View Post

Quote:

Originally Posted by mstone View Post

Quote:

Originally Posted by Andysol View Post

?

Samsung is never the right choice.

Teach that to Tim Cook.

No; you need to learn that.

So explain why Tim continues to buy from Samsung.

• Reply 74 of 104
    koopkoop Posts: 337member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Apple ][ View Post

And the iPad Air has a very nice display, better than what 99% of average people have ever used in their lives.

Unfortunately American consumerism doesn't really work like that. 75% of Americans live paycheck to paycheck yes close to that same number have smartphone plans. We constantly spend what we don't have to impress friends and feel good about ourselves. If Samsung is producing a tablet with a better display, buyers will take notice. Having the best, even if it's meaningless is just imbedded into our DNA. Unfortunately for those buyers who listen to Samsung's ads, they'll be stuck with a beautiful screen on a piece of shit device.

• Reply 75 of 104

I have decided to resign from this forum. Goodbye to long time friends. The likes of BF have made my participation too taxing, He wins. So long. I was going to do a Soli when I reached 10K posts but now I will just concentrate on my other interests. Enjoy!

Yeah and continue the hate, I just bought three Asus Windows computers today/

• Reply 76 of 104
    I have decided to resign from this forum. Goodbye to long time friends. The likes of BF have made my participation too taxing, He wins. So long. I was going to do a Soli when I reached 10K posts but now I will just concentrate on my other interests. Enjoy!

1. You take things too seriously
    2. Who cares what you buy?
    3. If you desperately need people to agree with your contrarian views, why post them here?
  • Reply 77 of 104
    rayzrayz Posts: 814member
    paxman wrote: »
    They wouldn't keep ragging at Apple if it didn't work. They would change tack. When you say Samsung's profits are down you need to be specific. I'm not doubting you but they are a massive company with so many products in so many areas that simply stating that their profits are down is a meaningless way to asses the effectiveness of a single campaign for a single product segment. Their tablets have been selling poorly so perhaps coat tailing Apple and comparing specs are dramatically increasing their sales.

When they talk about Samsung profits being down, they're talking about Samsung's mobile division which is the company's most profitable division. Of course it doesn't bode well for the company as a whole if your most profitable business unit is bleeding.

Your assertion that they wouldn't continue with the same line of advertising if it didn't work is clearly incorrect. Samsung's sales and profits are falling, so the ads aren't working, and Samsung is carrying on. The question is why, and the answer is most likely that they're out of ideas. They've tried insulting Apple, they've tried insulting Apple's customers, they've even tried hijacking a charity. They've tried faking tests, faking surveys. They've tried drawing Apple into a spec war. Nothing is working, but they don't actually know how to do anything else. It's a common enough trait in large companies: an inability to think broadly.

Apple's strategy works because their adverts make it look like there is no alternative. Samsung's fails because they insist on showing you the alternative and then somehow make themselves look like liars in the same ad.

Remember their last phone ad that basically said there was no need to wait for a larger screen because Samsung already had one. Implicitly telling people that a bigger screen iPhone is on the way counts as the biggest advertising fail in consumer electronics history. Even bigger than that Osborne fella who broke his own company.
  • Reply 78 of 104
    rayzrayz Posts: 814member

• Reply 79 of 104
    fuckyou samsung
  • Reply 80 of 104
    Please what junk of product. Lol
    iPad is the king