Alleged 'iPhone 6' NFC chip and working hardware shown in latest leaks

Comments

• Reply 61 of 102
    nolamacguynolamacguy Posts: 4,758member
    rogifan wrote: »
    I don't think more RAM would be considered unnecessary. Certainly not on the iPad. My 5S is better than my iPad Air in that regard but I do have occasional app crashes. Hopefully there are improvements with iOS 8. Safari especially needs it.

why are you bringing up iPads when were discussing iPhone?
  • Reply 62 of 102
    bobschlob wrote: »
    To clarify; it's not an aesthetic thing (so much) as a use thing. The fact that the device will no longer lay flat on it's back (not to mention it no longer standing flat on it's edges), loses a lot of practical use along with a good quantity of apps.
    Also seems to me that along with the increased size, that little protruding ring will quickly wear a hole through (stretched) rear pants pockets.

then maybe your pants are too damned tight.

using the phone flat on a table top is an atypical use case. mine is always in hand or propped up.
  • Reply 63 of 102
    nelsonx wrote: »
    It only has 1Gb of RAM!!! I'm not buying this! Not in 2014!

yes, you will.
  • Reply 64 of 102
    antkm1 wrote: »
    Ug-ly.  Don't like the bands, don't like the size, don't like the protruding camera.  I won't be getting this.  I've had an iPhone in my house since Gen-1...i have had every model of iPhone (except for the 4s and 5)...and i honestly think that if they drop the "small" iPhone, i'm done.  I wasn't even crazy about the 4" screen but i have one, and it frustrates me every time i have to tap the top of the screen (reach issues).

so which android will you use? not one with a big screen, huh?
  • Reply 65 of 102
    antkm1 wrote: »
    nope, i still hated the look of the 4, I waited quite a while to get one, and hated having to use a case.  in my mind i would get paranoid about the glass cracking if i set it down or dropped it.  I had seen so many of my friends that had crack screens or backs.  Plus the sharper edges i never got used to after owning the 3g & 3gs for so long.

too bad, because the glass back took all of three minutes and fifty bucks to replace. oops.

I needed a case on my 3g and 3GS as well. the plastic cracked when dropped or knocked off.
  • Reply 66 of 102
    rogifanrogifan Posts: 10,669member
    nolamacguy wrote: »
    why are you bringing up iPads when were discussing iPhone?
    Because right now they're using the same chip in both devices so if iPhone gets 1GB ram wouldn't iPad too?
  • Reply 67 of 102
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Mac-sochist View Post

that area filled with a metal panel surrounded by plastic (or something), obviously an antenna, which the lens will be flush with.

I dunno. I don't think the bands are going to protrude. It looks like the plan is for them to be flush with the back. If that's the case, the camera lens will protrude.

I think it would actually be kinda cool if the bands did stick out from the surface of the back a bit, especially if they're made of rubber. It would provide a nice way to lay the phone on its back without it sliding around, and would provide some grip points to prevent it flying out of one's hand and hitting the pavement. Twice. Not that something like that would ever happen to anyone WE know...

• Reply 68 of 102
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by NolaMacGuy View Post

using the phone flat on a table top is an atypical use case.

Then I must know a lot of atypical people. I see co-workers doing it all the time, and both my wife and daughter do.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by NolaMacGuy View Post

mine is always in hand or propped up.

Oh, well in that case, never mind. Whatever you think is best is fine with me. Do you want us to pass along the message that they're using it wrong, or will you be issuing a memo?

EDIT: Forgot to include whatever emoticon means "Lighten up and have a laugh!"

• Reply 69 of 102
    droidftwdroidftw Posts: 1,009member
    Quote:

Quote:

Originally Posted by antkm1 View Post

nope, i still hated the look of the 4, I waited quite a while to get one, and hated having to use a case.  in my mind i would get paranoid about the glass cracking if i set it down or dropped it.  I had seen so many of my friends that had crack screens or backs.  Plus the sharper edges i never got used to after owning the 3g & 3gs for so long.

so which android will you use? not one with a big screen, huh?

If Apple continues to follow the screen size trends, then there will be an iPhone mini in the future that will offer a smaller screen size for those who prefer it.

• Reply 70 of 102
    Originally Posted by Rogifan View Post

Because right now they're using the same chip in both devices so if iPhone gets 1GB ram wouldn't iPad too?

That’s not what the rumor says.

The rumor had BETTER be BS, by the way.

• Reply 71 of 102
    ronmgronmg Posts: 163member
    I dunno. I don't think the bands are going to protrude. It looks like the plan is for them to be flush with the back. If that's the case, the camera lens will protrude.

I think it would actually be kinda cool if the bands did stick out from the surface of the back a bit, especially if they're made of rubber. It would provide a nice way to lay the phone on its back without it sliding around, and would provide some grip points to prevent it flying out of one's hand and hitting the pavement. Twice. Not that something like that would ever happen to anyone WE know...

I'm hoping the bands protrude a bit and the final product uses Liquid Metal for the bands. It's about time Apple puts more Liquid Metal in their products. As for the comments about 1 GB vs. 2 GB if Apple can get the job done in 1 GB then I am fine with less RAM. They don't need to follow the inefficient android lead in this area.
  • Reply 72 of 102
    bobschlobbobschlob Posts: 1,074member
    Quote:

Quote:

Originally Posted by BobSchlob View Post

To clarify; it's not an aesthetic thing (so much) as a use thing. The fact that the device will no longer lay flat on it's back (not to mention it no longer standing flat on it's edges), loses a lot of practical use along with a good quantity of apps.

Also seems to me that along with the increased size, that little protruding ring will quickly wear a hole through (stretched) rear pants pockets.

then maybe your pants are too damned tight.

using the phone flat on a table top is an atypical use case. mine is always in hand or propped up.

Wow. You really do have all the answers. Thanks so much!!

• Reply 73 of 102
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Lorin Schultz View Post

Quote:

that area filled with a metal panel surrounded by plastic (or something), obviously an antenna, which the lens will be flush with.

Have the bands stick out? I'm sorry, but that's a rubbish idea.

• Reply 74 of 102

I'm sad about the protruding lens and the ugly bands. Looks terribly bulky as well. Oh well, no doubt it'll look better on 9th.

Edit: I perhaps sounded a bit gloomy. I love the thinness of this phone and the rounded edges. Should make it pleasanter to hold.

• Reply 75 of 102
    You guys are blind. Look at the pictures! You saw the camera lens in one drawing "protruding" .77mm from the bare metal of the backshell. Then you saw a picture of the bare metal backshell, revealing that this area is recessed a similar distance below the main area of the back. Now you've seen this recess filled in with an antenna and its plastic (?) separators. Obviously the camera lens will be flush with this. The lens will not protrude! You're just getting this from one word in the title of one post from weeks ago, and all the photographic evidence that disproves it just goes in one eye and out the other! It's positively amazing!
  • Reply 76 of 102

Apologies, then. Do try to remember it next time; we get an awful lot of people who believe (“believe”) the strangest things. ????

Same way they released the iPod touch with a protruding lens. If it means better image quality than it would have otherwise had, there’s no reason to complain. You don’t complain that your camera has a protruding lens! I’d have been fine had they just made the entire thing thicker to compensate for the laws of physics, but I’m used to an iPhone 0.46” thick.

Wild-assed speculation: wouldn't it be cool if Apple designed the phone to have a sapphire backing, with the lens actually a part of the material, in one continuous surface?
  • Reply 77 of 102
    Quote:

You guys are blind. Look at the pictures! You saw the camera lens in one drawing "protruding" .77mm from the bare metal of the backshell. Then you saw a picture of the bare metal backshell, revealing that this area is recessed a similar distance below the main area of the back. Now you've seen this recess filled in with an antenna and its plastic (?) separators. Obviously the camera lens will be flush with this. The lens will not protrude! You're just getting this from one word in the title of one post from weeks ago, and all the photographic evidence that disproves it just goes in one eye and out the other! It's positively amazing!

We're looking at the video which shows it protruding.

• Reply 78 of 102
    dasanman69dasanman69 Posts: 13,002member

There'll be some initial teeth gnashing if the device in the video is indeed the new iPhone, but I just bought my son a iPod touch and the protruding lens is a non issue. Ready the Worcestershire sauce for the crow eaters.
  • Reply 79 of 102
    Quote:

Originally Posted by dasanman69 View Post

Quote:

Originally Posted by Benjamin Frost View Post

There'll be some initial teeth gnashing if the device in the video is indeed the new iPhone, but I just bought my son a iPod touch and the protruding lens is a non issue. Ready the Worcestershire sauce for the crow eaters.

I always try to look at both sides of the story.

On one hand, it might be handy having the lens jut out; it would mean that you could discern its orientation in your pocket more easily than now. But my worry is dust and dirt building up round it, it catching on things, it feeling awkward when holding in landscape, for starters. Ideally, I would prefer it flush. But if it's discreet enough, it may be acceptable.

• Reply 80 of 102

I can only imagine this video you're talking about is in the box labeled: "The Connection Was Interrupted"? The text says that's from these Russian Gomers who cobbled together bits and pieces to build some Frankenphone. Why would you imagine they know what they're doing? Look at the pictures of the actual parts and you'll see I'm right. The recess has been filled. The camera "protrudes" from the backshell, but that's (.77mm?) behind this antenna assembly.