Alleged 'iPhone 6' NFC chip and working hardware shown in latest leaks

Comments

• Reply 81 of 102
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Mac-sochist View Post

Quote:

Originally Posted by Benjamin Frost View Post

We're looking at the video which shows it protruding.

I can only imagine this video you're talking about is in the box labeled: "The Connection Was Interrupted"? The text says that's from these Russian Gomers who cobbled together bits and pieces to build some Frankenphone. Why would you imagine they know what they're doing? Look at the pictures of the actual parts and you'll see I'm right. The recess has been filled. The camera "protrudes" from the backshell, but that's (.77mm?) behind this antenna assembly.

I've just checked; the video is still up. 

• Reply 82 of 102

What if the lens is movable? That is, when focusing it's capable of moving out past the surface, but normally it remains flush.

• Reply 83 of 102
    Quote:

Look at the pictures of the actual parts and you'll see I'm right. The recess has been filled. The camera "protrudes" from the backshell, but that's (.77mm?) behind this antenna assembly.

Can you tell me which photo you're looking at? I'm trying hard to grok what you're describing, but I'm not seeing it. Maybe we're looking at different pictures.

• Reply 84 of 102
    philboogiephilboogie Posts: 7,675member
    Apple has reached an agreement with American Express to work on iPhone payments system

http://tinyurl.com/o92be77
  • Reply 85 of 102
    Quote:

Originally Posted by PhilBoogie View Post

Apple has reached an agreement with American Express to work on iPhone payments system

http://tinyurl.com/o92be77

The only way I can see Apple doing payments properly is if they become the payment processor cutting out the middle man and dealing with banks directly.

If all Apple does is allow you to make payments using EXISTING systems then their system will be a failure. If I have a contactless Visa in my wallet, then why would I use my iPhone to make a contactless payment? It's actually slower as I'd probably need to have an App open before I can make a payment. Or I'll have to use Touch ID to authorize the payment. I'll just tap my Visa card instead like I've been doing for some time now.

Apple has to bring some NEW benefit to payments. If there's one thing Apple does when introducing a feature is they make sure it's actually useful and better than old methods (Touch ID is a perfect example of this). For Apple to do payments they need to offer something that makes it clearly better than current methods people already use. If the benefit is not in speed of use (which I don't think they can ever beat, only possibly match) then it has to be somewhere else. Perhaps lower processing fees for merchants (due to increased security/reduced fraud) or some type of reward or loyalty program for consumers.

Simply duplicating my Visa to my iPhone isn't good enough.

• Reply 86 of 102
    Quote:

Originally Posted by EricTheHalfBee View Post

Simply duplicating my Visa to my iPhone isn't good enough.

You could leave home without it.TM

The benefit I see is consolidation. Reaching into my pocket for an iPhone is no more hassle than reaching into the other pocket for my wallet. Maybe my iPhone can free up the wallet pocket for something else.

Payments could be just the beginning. If Translink ever gets the Compass transit fare system working, it's conceivable that your iPhone might someday be your bus pass. The card I wear on a lanyard for traversing the "Get Smart"-esque labyrinth of access-control doors at my workplace might also be replaced by my iPhone.

Even if the only benefit is that I can reduce the number of cards I carry, that'd be enough for me.

• Reply 87 of 102
    Look at the pictures of the actual parts and you'll see I'm right. The recess has been filled. The camera "protrudes" from the backshell, but that's (.77mm?) behind this antenna assembly.

Can you tell me which photo you're looking at? I'm trying hard to grok what you're describing, but I'm not seeing it. Maybe we're looking at different pictures.

I'm looking at the sequence of pictures we've seen.

First there was a drawing showing the camera lens standing .77mm above the metal surface it emerged from. That's when everybody started hyperventilating about it "protruding" from the back of the phone.

Then we saw an actual picture of the naked metal backshell, and clearly saw that this area at the top and bottom is recessed below the main area of the back. That should have put an end to this meme about the lens "protruding", but for some reason it didn't.

We've now seen, in this very thread, that recessed area filled flush with a metal plate, separated from the main back with an insulating strip and surrounded by an end cap of the same material. This must be an antenna of some kind (NFC?), and it's obvious the lens will be flush with this plate, .77mm I suppose above the level of the naked metal backshell.

Those Russian Gomers probably jammed a 5S camera in there because that was all they could get, or didn't know how to fit it in. I wouldn't worry for a minute about some Frankenphone they cobbled together.
  • Reply 88 of 102
    flaneurflaneur Posts: 4,526member
    ^ Sounds good, hope it's true. It would save a lot of hot air around here.
  • Reply 89 of 102

This must be one of the most gorgeous iPhones ever!  I want one.

My only qualm is with the protruding lens.  Besides making it impossible to lay the phone flat for use as a level, it strikes me as a potential durability problem.  The lens could catch on hard surfaces, or serve to concentrate all the pressure on it if one forgets the phone is in a back pocket and sits on a hard surface.  Even more troubling is that the lens can unexpectedly catch when drawing the phone out of a pocket, causing one to drop the phone.

No doubt the protruding lens makes for a better camera, and personally I'll accept the trade-off if the camera is insanely great.  That said, I'd prefer Apple to thicken the phone to match the lens length and stuff a mondo battery into the extra space.  Oh, but then when it had lost 60% capacity at two years, it would still be usable, so the owner wouldn't want a new phone!  Silly me.

This camera, btw, must absolutely rock, because the competition is blowing Apple away on image quality (downsampling a 41 MP image works amazingly well).

• Reply 90 of 102
    Quote:

I'm looking at the sequence of pictures we've seen.

First there was a drawing showing the camera lens standing .77mm above the metal surface it emerged from. That's when everybody started hyperventilating about it "protruding" from the back of the phone.

Then we saw an actual picture of the naked metal backshell, and clearly saw that this area at the top and bottom is recessed below the main area of the back. That should have put an end to this meme about the lens "protruding", but for some reason it didn't.

We've now seen, in this very thread, that recessed area filled flush with a metal plate, separated from the main back with an insulating strip and surrounded by an end cap of the same material. This must be an antenna of some kind (NFC?), and it's obvious the lens will be flush with this plate, .77mm I suppose above the level of the naked metal backshell.

Those Russian Gomers probably jammed a 5S camera in there because that was all they could get, or didn't know how to fit it in. I wouldn't worry for a minute about some Frankenphone they cobbled together.

Hope you're right, but I can imagine Ive putting that protruding lens on there and thinking he's being edgy.  Then without Jobs around to tell him he's full of shit, it makes it into production.  

Somebody needs to reign Ive in.  He's destroying both iOS and OS X.  Function always follows form with Ive, right down to the thin iMac with all the ports in back and completely inaccessible components buried in a poorly cooled space.  That's got to be the dumbest computer design in all of history.  Sexy looking?  At first maybe, but dumb is never sexy.

• Reply 91 of 102
    SpamSandwichSpamSandwich Posts: 33,407member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Junkyard Dawg View Post

Function always follows form with Ive, right down to the thin iMac with all the ports in back and completely inaccessible components buried in a poorly cooled space.  That's got to be the dumbest computer design in all of history.

I agree that the ports on the iMac are very poorly positioned. I'd rather they migrated the ports to the base, where they would be more visible and easily accessible, but still out of the way.

• Reply 92 of 102
    solipsismxsolipsismx Posts: 19,566member
    I agree that the ports on the iMac are very poorly positioned. I'd rather they migrated the ports to the base, where they would be more visible and easily accessible, but still out of the way.

But then your cables are hanging straight down. I can't see that ever happening.
  • Reply 93 of 102
    Quote:

Originally Posted by SolipsismX View Post

Quote:

Originally Posted by SpamSandwich View Post

But then your cables are hanging straight down. I can't see that ever happening.

Quite. Where the ports are now is the only place for them; anywhere else and they would be visible and ugly.

• Reply 94 of 102
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

Same way they released the iPod touch with a protruding lens. If it means better image quality than it would have otherwise had, there’s no reason to complain. You don’t complain that your camera has a protruding lens! I’d have been fine had they just made the entire thing thicker to compensate for the laws of physics, but I’m used to an iPhone 0.46” thick.

My issue is when flat on a desk, and you are touching the phone, if there is no counter protrusion on the lens opposite, then you would incur motion when touching the opposite side, would you not? It would be off balance? 

• Reply 95 of 102
    tallest skiltallest skil Posts: 43,388member
    Originally Posted by Richard Getz View Post

My issue is when flat on a desk, and you are touching the phone, if there is no counter protrusion on the lens opposite, then you would incur motion when touching the opposite side, would you not? It would be off balance? 

Sure, but when does this ever happen?

• Reply 96 of 102
    crowleycrowley Posts: 10,453member
    Quote:

Happened with the G4 Cube.

Yes, the cables would be a bit more visible, but that's kind of the point since you're trying to make them more accessible.  Even a single USB and/or Thunderbolt on the base would be a good idea, since that'd give you that occasional plug and play ability, while your more permanent I/O could be on the back.  The sort of thing that products like this are trying to solve: http://www.bluelounge.com/products/jimi/

I also used to find the cabling on my iMac to need a bit of a tug when I tried to tilt the screen.  That must have been even worse when the ports were arranged vertically on the originally iMac G5s, but I don't think it would be as much of a problem with the cables coming out of the base, or at least it'd be easier to deal with.  

• Reply 97 of 102
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

Sure, but when does this ever happen?

Often enough. It would seem esthetically incorrect to do so. However, if it made the camera THAT much better, it would be worth it. I wonder if this is for optical image stabilization? 

• Reply 98 of 102
    solipsismx wrote: »

I was actually thinking of a base that would be about the same thickness (where it's needed) as a MacBook Pro and the plugs would be on the left and right sides, up off of the table surface, closer to the monitor but visible by looking around the screen at the base.
  • Reply 99 of 102
    solipsismxsolipsismx Posts: 19,566member
    crowley wrote: »
    Happened with the G4 Cube.

Sure, but that's an anomaly in many regards.

I was actually thinking of a base that would be about the same thickness (where it's needed) as a MacBook Pro and the plugs would be on the left and right sides, up off of the table surface, closer to the monitor but visible by looking around the screen at the base.

That would definitely be more useful but I don't see that happening. Even just putting a single USB and single SD card port on the side for those quick plugins would be great but I don't see Apple doing that either.
  • Reply 100 of 102
    Quote:

Sure, but that's an anomaly in many regards.

That would definitely be more useful but I don't see that happening. Even just putting a single USB and single SD card port on the side for those quick plugins would be great but I don't see Apple doing that either.

I don't see it happening either, but sometimes I want to smack Jony Ive in the head for choosing form over function.