So what are they most convincing iPhone 6 rumors?

Posted:
in iPhone edited September 2014

I have updated this list with more detail.  If there are other rumors that I have missed, or it's felt that I have placed something here in the wrong category (likelihood), let me know.

Rumors that are likely:

1. Name; “iPhone 6”.  Little to indicate iPhone Air or similar.

2. Bigger form factor.  4.7” almost certain (possibly 6.9mm x 138mm x 66mm), 5.5” less likely (possibly 7.1mm x 158mm x 78mm)

3. Bigger screen size

4. Increased screen resolution, probably a resolution that is a multiple of current and would would give the same aspect ratio as the current iPhones.  Would also have to be high enough resolution to stay above 300ppi.  Some evidence to show 3x resolution compared to current, but this may actually be 3x compared to original resolution (where the current iPhone is 2x).

5. Faster Qualcomm MDM9625 LTE Modem 150Mbit/s

6. Somehow improved TouchID

7. iOS 8 (already announced - note that I am not including iOS 8-specific features, limiting this list to hardware)

8. Sleep/Awake switch moved to right side of phone

9. 802.11ac support (currently supports 802.11n)

10. A8 processor, 64gb, 1gb processor ram, 20 nm fab

11. Improved camera

12. Protruding camera lens (is this a “feature”?)

13. Circular unified two-tone flash

14. Series 6XT PowerVR GPU

15. Improved M7 chip (M8?)

16. Volume buttons pill-shaped and recessed

17. Increased battery capacity (1810mAh?). Note that increased capacity does not necessarily indicate increased battery life due to increased power demands of the larger display and other components.

18. LTPS screen technology (same as iPhone 5S)

19. NFC support (processor by NXP) - moved this from the "less likely" category based on new evidence.

20. Expansion of the Secure Enclave possibly related to integrated payment support on iPhone.

Rumors that are less likely, but are possible:

1. Sapphire crystal screen surface

2. 5.5” form factor

3. There is some evidence to suggest differing functional specifications between the 4.7” and 5.5” phones, such as better camera and option for more storage in the 5.5” phone.

4. Optical image stabilization (gyroscopic, active)

5. 128gb memory option

6. Significantly longer battery life

7. Atmospheric sensors (barometric pressure, etc.) - almost placed this on the "unlikely" list.

Rumors that are unlikely:

1. Wireless or solar charging

2. Lower retail price

3. IGZO or AMOLED screen technology

4. Display-to-edge appearance of the screen

5. Redesigned Lightning Cable (dual-orientation at USB side)

6. There are tons of rumors that are just stupid (like pico-projector, slide-out keyboard, holographic display, etc.) that I have not included in this list.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 3
    tallest skiltallest skil Posts: 43,388member
    Originally Posted by Roake View Post

Wireless charging

Lower retail price

Who said that?

• Reply 2 of 3
    crowleycrowley Posts: 10,453member

Would 802.11ac be all that useful on an iPhone?  I suspect that the rest of the hardware wouldn't be able to deal with incoming data at that speed anyway, so it'd just be wasted, and probably carry a battery or size implication.  

Similar to how Thunderbolt would be a mostly pointless addition.

• Reply 3 of 3
    roakeroake Posts: 809member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Crowley View Post

Would 802.11ac be all that useful on an iPhone?  I suspect that the rest of the hardware wouldn't be able to deal with incoming data at that speed anyway, so it'd just be wasted, and probably carry a battery or size implication.  

Similar to how Thunderbolt would be a mostly pointless addition.

There are other benefits to the 802.11ac specification, such as "beamforming" technology and increased range.