Apple adds 'Sharing Selfies' section to iOS App Store

Posted:
in iPhone edited September 2014
Apple on Thursday added to its App Store a section dedicated to apps that make it easy to share "selfies," a term coined to describe self-portraits users of smartphones and other devices post to social media networks.

Selfies

In all, Apple lists 12 different selfie apps that either interface with existing social networks or operate independently as a sort of selfie sharing service. The category joins other App Store lists like "Best New Apps" and "Spectacular Stories: Games."

Selections range from well-known apps like Snapchat to up-and-coming services SnapDash and Shots, the latter of which has been making the rounds after being promoted by top Instagram and Vine users.

While the number of titles is a bit wanting, the scope is wide and includes selfie editors, archivers and games.

The new section can be found highlighted in the iOS App Store and the apps section of iTunes.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 11
    tallest skiltallest skil Posts: 43,388member

Why would I ever want my daughter to grow up in a world where this is a thing? :(

• Reply 2 of 11
    richlorichlo Posts: 46member

Hasnt something always been the concern of all parents since as far back as history goes? 

"Rock and Roll will corrupt our youth!"

• Reply 3 of 11
    Why use an app while your pictures can simply be published by a hacker that found a vulnerability in FMiP / weak password¿

http://tinyurl.com/okfjxuu
  • Reply 4 of 11
    Why would I ever want my daughter to grow up in a world where this is a thing? :(

Gods, I hate that term..."selfie." Makes my skin crawl. Only a completely self-absorbed, incurious generation could latch onto self-portraiture in such a revolting way.
  • Reply 5 of 11
    Gods, I hate that term..."selfie." Makes my skin crawl. Only a completely self-absorbed, incurious generation could latch onto self-portraiture in such a revolting way.

Is it really any different from when the muckety mucks would commission artists for self portraits?
  • Reply 6 of 11
    dasanman69 wrote: »
    Is it really any different from when the muckety mucks would commission artists for self portraits?

A self-portrait is one painted or photographed by the artist. You're talking about a portrait.
  • Reply 7 of 11
    crowleycrowley Posts: 10,453member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by SpamSandwich View Post

"The young people of today think of nothing but themselves. They have no reverence for parents or old age. They are impatient of all restraint ... As for the girls, they are forward, immodest and unladylike in speech, behaviour and dress."

- Peter The Hermit, 1274 AD

• Reply 8 of 11
    crowley wrote: »
    "The young people of today think of nothing but themselves. They have no reverence for parents or old age. They are impatient of all restraint ... As for the girls, they are forward, immodest and unladylike in speech, behaviour and dress."
     - Peter The Hermit, 1274 AD

Stupidity is timeless!

http://www.npr.org/templates/story/story.php?storyId=90755433
  • Reply 9 of 11
    MarvinMarvin Posts: 15,323moderator

If the technology had been around centuries ago, it would have been used the same way. There has always been vanity and that's what selfies are a result of. You can see this everywhere you go:

[VIDEO]

[VIDEO]

Women go around with mirrors and makeup every day:

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/technology/news/10788116/Women-significantly-more-likely-to-take-selfies-than-men.html

Taking a photo of yourself is a good way to see yourself as others see you because mirrors flip the image over but cameras don't. Women use the front-facing camera on their phones to check their makeup.

There's a competitive element to it. Usually between fat and thin. Some women like to show how good they look after just being pregnant and it gets other women really annoyed because they haven't been able to slim down. The latest trend is #fatkini where larger girls want some appreciation in their bathing outfits too:

http://www.mirror.co.uk/news/world-news/fatkini-see-incredible-pictures-real-4037399

They're not all self-taken pictures but it would be hard to fit everything in at arms length.

People simply have an inherent desire to be liked by other people. Facebook likes, Twitter retweets/favorites, sharing, trending, thumbs up (even on this site), it's all for the same reason: to be seen, to be heard and to be liked. People share their opinions online for the same sense of satisfaction that their opinions resonate with other people and an online identity is the makeup. Look in the mirror and you can see that the selfie is just another incarnation of what everyone does.

It's not necessary to shave every day, put on nice clothes, get your hair done nicely, put on nice smelling deoderant, brush your teeth, be polite or considerate to others but we do it because we don't want other to have a negative perception of us. We try to mold the way that people see us all the time. Celebrities are molding their selfies with Photoshop so we see them how they want us to:

[VIDEO]

http://www.buzzfeed.com/jessicamisener/29-people-caught-photoshopping-their-own-photos
  • Reply 10 of 11
    A self-portrait is one painted or photographed by the artist. You're talking about a portrait.

Yes in that you are correct, but the vanity, and narcissism is the same in both cases.
  • Reply 11 of 11
    dasanman69 wrote: »
    Yes in that you are correct, but the vanity, and narcissism is the same in both cases.

Of course, however a self-portrait is quite different from another person or artist creating a portrait.