Apple 'actively investigating' celebrity photo leaks for possible iCloud connection

1246711

Comments

  • Reply 61 of 210
    gtrgtr Posts: 3,231member
    hentaiboy wrote: »
    Next you'll be saying that Samsung is behind it :rolleyes:

    I highly doubt that Samsung, a company with such high levels of integrity, would stoop to such a lowly tactic.

    I mean when you're as originally innovative as they are, with products that practically sell themselves without any need for excessive marketing budgets, are totally honest with customers regarding your products benchmarking capabilities, are above slagging off the competition AS WELL as the competition's customers, have no trace of criminal history, and have very little to lose financially, I would consider them well above any and all suspicion.
  • Reply 62 of 210
    Quote:

    Originally Posted by DroidFTW View Post

     

    Kirsten Dunst seems to believe that her iCloud account was hacked.

     


     

    She seems to be thanking iCloud for the pizza and self-serve chocolate ice cream.

  • Reply 63 of 210
    rogifanrogifan Posts: 10,669member
    PR nightmare for sure.

    [IMG]http://i59.tinypic.com/33uwg20.jpg[/IMG]
  • Reply 64 of 210
    Quote:

    Originally Posted by Rogifan View Post



    This story is on the front page of several UK newspapers. It couldn't have come at a worse time for Apple, especially if they're planning a big mobile payments announcement next week. Fair or unfair it just reinforces the meme that Apple doesn't get the web, doesn't get cloud services, is not up to par when it comes to security, etc. This has the makings of being a PR disaster. If it wasn't an iCloud hack Apple needs to communicate that as soon as possible.

     

    LOL really? Rupert Murdoch's got nothing else to talk about? Or does the UK hate Apple so much because they're full of Microsoft fanboys?

  • Reply 65 of 210
    rogifanrogifan Posts: 10,669member
    LOL really? Rupert Murdoch's got nothing else to talk about? Or does the UK hate Apple so much because they're full of Microsoft fanboys?
    Apple = page views simple as that.
  • Reply 66 of 210
    Quote:

    Originally Posted by Suddenly Newton View Post

     

     

    LOL really? Rupert Murdoch's got nothing else to talk about? Or does the UK hate Apple so much because they're full of Microsoft fanboys?


    I think thats basically a tabloid newspaper...sort of like NYPOST.

  • Reply 67 of 210
    malaxmalax Posts: 1,598member
    Quote:

    Originally Posted by GTR View Post



    This reaks of a public smear a week before the latest iPhone release.



    It staggers me that ALL of the major news sites are reporting this as an iCloud hack in their headlines before briefly mentioning deep within the articles that this information has not been verified.



    What the f*ck has happened to reporting these days?

    In my experience, that's not true.  WashingtonPost.com and NewYorkTimes.com are hardly mentioning the possible Apple connection in their stories.

  • Reply 68 of 210
    asdasdasdasd Posts: 5,685member
    You’d be surprised at the number of people who claim this isn’t a valid argument and that people should be allowed to do whatever
    they want.

    It's not a valid argument. People should be able to have whatever they want on a hard drive or in a secure cloud.
  • Reply 69 of 210
    droidftwdroidftw Posts: 1,009member
    Quote:

    Originally Posted by Suddenly Newton View Post

     

    She seems to be thanking iCloud for the pizza and self-serve chocolate ice cream.


     

    Maybe she's just thanking them for the publicity boost as she's kind of fallen from the lime light.  :)

  • Reply 70 of 210
    asdasdasdasd Posts: 5,685member
    Not that I think this had anything to do with icloud. The Mail is not a Murdoch paper btw.
  • Reply 71 of 210
    asdasdasdasd Posts: 5,685member
    droidftw wrote: »
    Maybe she's just thanking them for the publicity boost as she's kind of fallen from the lime light.  :)

    Nobody's reported any pictures of her so it's hard to know what she is even tweeting for.
  • Reply 72 of 210
    Quote:

    Originally Posted by john12345 View Post

     

     

    That doesn't mean iCloud was hacked.  They found the passwords from somewhere else and used them to log in to iCloud.


     

    That's not very likely.  If this was a couple of accounts, very possible.  But when it's so many accounts, it's a hack into some system.  May not be iCloud.  But it's some common system.  iCloud/Google Drive/One Drive/Dropbox makes sense since these are photos and if taken from a phone, could be something that does automatic backups.  And one of these 4 are the likely ones from iPhones/Android/WP phones and the last because it's so ubiquitous.  And given these are celebrities, the first one is the most likely.

  • Reply 73 of 210
    solipsismxsolipsismx Posts: 19,566member
    asdasd wrote: »
    Nobody's reported any pictures of her so it's hard to know what she is even tweeting for.

    I've seen them.
  • Reply 74 of 210
    asdasdasdasd Posts: 5,685member
    os2baba wrote: »
    That's not very likely.  If this was a couple of accounts, very possible.  But when it's so many accounts, it's a hack into some system.  May not be iCloud.  But it's some common system.  iCloud/Google Drive/One Drive/Dropbox makes sense since these are photos and if taken from a phone, could be something that does automatic backups.  And one of these 4 are the likely ones from iPhones/Android/WP phones and the last because it's so ubiquitous.  And given these are celebrities, the first one is the most likely.

    Apparently most, but not all, of the metadata in the photos indicated iPhone pictures. Which doesn't rule out dropbox of course.
  • Reply 75 of 210
    [VIDEO][/VIDEO]
    rogifan wrote: »
    This story is on the front page of several UK newspapers. It couldn't have come at a worse time for Applel...

    The UK is not a big driver of stock prices in the US.

    So you can rest easy.
  • Reply 76 of 210
    asdasd wrote: »
    You’d be surprised at the number of people who claim this isn’t a valid argument and that people should be allowed to do whatever
    they want.

    It's not a valid argument. People should be able to have whatever they want on a hard drive or in a secure cloud.

    Indeed. As long as you don't mind getting arrested for it.
  • Reply 77 of 210
    asdasdasdasd Posts: 5,685member
    Indeed. As long as you don't mind getting arrested for it.

    Well anything legal is what I meant. Let's not blame people for taking legal photos
  • Reply 78 of 210
    asdasdasdasd Posts: 5,685member
    [VIDEO][/VIDEO]
    The UK is not a big driver of stock prices in the US.

    So you can rest easy.

    It's a big old Internet world these days. The UK newspapers do well online.


    EDIT:

    Mail online is 8th in the US, Guardian 10th, BBC 13th

    http://www.ebizmba.com/articles/news-websites
  • Reply 79 of 210
    rogifanrogifan Posts: 10,669member
    [VIDEO][/VIDEO]
    The UK is not a big driver of stock prices in the US.

    So you can rest easy.
    But UK media gets plenty of reporting here in the US. It's a headache no matter how you look at it. I just hope if it's nothing to do with iCloud that Apple says so as soon as possible,
  • Reply 80 of 210
    Quote:

    Originally Posted by os2baba View Post

     

     

    That's not very likely.  If this was a couple of accounts, very possible.  But when it's so many accounts, it's a hack into some system.  May not be iCloud.  But it's some common system.  iCloud/Google Drive/One Drive/Dropbox makes sense since these are photos and if taken from a phone, could be something that does automatic backups.  And one of these 4 are the likely ones from iPhones/Android/WP phones and the last because it's so ubiquitous.  And given these are celebrities, the first one is the most likely.


    You're assuming this was all done at the same time.   Most likely, these were pictures that were collected over years by many different hackers.  I'm betting that some of the accounts took LONG time to finally gain access.   Due to how valuable these pictures are, I can see people spending long time to gain access to their phones.  Some/most of these hackers have no lives.  

     

    These celebs need to think of themselves like a bank or a government entity where there are constant hacking attempts. 

    Hmm...maybe I should get into a business of protecting celebs from virtual threats.  They hire body guards, but what about virtual body guards?

    Ok, don't steal my idea.

Sign In or Register to comment.