Photos purport to show 2915 mAh battery for 5.5" 'iPhone 6,' twice the capacity of Apple's iPhone 5s

Posted:
in iPhone edited September 2014
The stream of component leaks surrounding the rumored 5.5-inch variant of Apple's next-generation iPhone has begun to kick up just one week before the company makes its official announcement, with a new high-capacity battery said to be destined for the "phablet" device appearing from Asia.

The pictured component -- bearing an advertised 2,915 mAh capacity -- is show as having been manufactured by Chinese firm Desay Battery, a supplier long rumored to have won contracts for the "iPhone 6" lineup. French blog NWE indicated only that the part was sourced from China.

A similar battery was included in a list of parts that leaked from Taiwanese sources in mid August.

Apple had previously been rumored to have chosen a smaller, 2,500 mAh unit for the 5.5-inch device. That capacity would have placed it in the middle of the pack when it comes to battery capacity in large-screened handsets, but the new 2,915 mAh figure would bump it toward the top, and would be nearly double that of the 1,560 mAh battery found in the current flagship iPhone 5s.

The battery has also been repeatedly singled out as a source of manufacturing problems, with Apple said to have run into trouble making the power reserve slim enough to fit in the new iPhone's more svelte chassis. Those problems are thought to have been resolved now, however.

Apple will put the rumors to rest at a media event on Sept. 9, and AppleInsider will be on hand in Cupertino. We will bring live coverage from inside the Flint Center as well as hands-on time with any new hardware the company may introduce.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 70

Can not wait for this to be released. This is the iPhone I've been wanting for a long time now. With NFC and a 5.5" screen, it'll be the perfect iPhone.

• Reply 2 of 70
    How much are nowhereelse.fr paying for each leak? Anyone know?
  • Reply 3 of 70
    cnocbuicnocbui Posts: 3,613member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Suddenly Newton View Post

I heard it was around about enough.

• Reply 4 of 70

I have to take a leak... How much are they paying?
  • Reply 5 of 70
    2,915 is "nearly" 2880?
  • Reply 6 of 70
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Mac-sochist View Post

2,915 is "nearly" 2880?

It makes sense if you don't think about it.  ;-)

• Reply 7 of 70
    melgrossmelgross Posts: 33,510member
    This battery size, and the smaller one for the 4.7" model, seems to be just enough to maintain the 8 hour LTE talk time. While that's enough most of the time, there are times when I've wished I've had an extra two hours.

There was a time when iPhones had the best battery life of all normal smartphones. I mean that without including one or two models that have been heavy and bulky because of enormous batteries.

But now, iPhones are atuck right about in the middle of the field, lagging even behind mid range phones. I really don't see why that has to be. With batteries being so thin, even one thin mm thicker could add 25% more life between charges. I strongly believe that most people would trade that 25,4th of an inch thickness for an additional 25% battery life.

Truthfully, phones are thin enough.
  • Reply 8 of 70
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Mac-sochist View Post

2,915 is "nearly" 2880?

except is is actually 1,560 mAh. 1,440 mAh was iPhone 5. 

so, it is actually not even doubled. 

(http://arstechnica.com/apple/2013/09/ifixits-iphone-5s-teardown-finds-larger-battery-improved-lte-transceiver/)

(http://www.macrumors.com/2014/09/02/2915-mah-iphone-6-battery/)

• Reply 9 of 70
    solipsismxsolipsismx Posts: 19,566member
    It's weird how every year Apple has all these production production problems that all magically get resolved right before the release of the iPhone¡
  • Reply 10 of 70
    solipsismx wrote: »
    It's weird how every year Apple has all these production production problems that all magically get resolved right before the release of the iPhone¡

I wish that were completely true. If it were, there wouldn be all the long term shortages we constantly see. Of course, part of that is conservative sales estimates, but still.
  • Reply 11 of 70

How does the leaks on this new iPhone compared to previous versions match up in quantity? If you add the Russian video seems like this one got leaked quite a bit. iPhone user starting with 4s so not here from the start of the device.

• Reply 12 of 70
    If the battery size doubles , won't the battery life be a lot more something like at lest 1.5 x? yes the display is larger so it will gobble up power, but all things being equal this will take the overall battery life up from current 8-10 to over 12 to 15 hours I would guess based on a simplistic calculation, more than enough! This does not include any allowance for battery power saving optimization with new OS either.

current iPhone 5 Internet use: Up to 8 hours on 3G, up to 10 hours on LTE, up to 10 hours on Wi-Fi
  • Reply 13 of 70
    andysolandysol Posts: 2,506member
    I'm finally believing the 5.5" is a real thing. Really look forward to owning one- hoping it's released at the same time!
  • Reply 14 of 70
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by melgross View Post

This battery size, and the smaller one for the 4.7" model, seems to be just enough to maintain the 8 hour LTE talk time. While that's enough most of the time, there are times when I've wished I've had an extra two hours.

There was a time when iPhones had the best battery life of all normal smartphones. I mean that without including one or two models that have been heavy and bulky because of enormous batteries.

But now, iPhones are atuck right about in the middle of the field, lagging even behind mid range phones. I really don't see why that has to be. With batteries being so thin, even one thin mm thicker could add 25% more life between charges. I strongly believe that most people would trade that 25,4th of an inch thickness for an additional 25% battery life.

I believe, at least according to Apple spec., the LTE talk time on iPhone5  is up to  10 hours not 8

• Reply 15 of 70
    Quote:

I imagine it would add several hours to the talk time, why do you believe the battery increase will not increase battery life? During a phone call, the screen is off, thus the extra battery will power the chips MUCH longer. Also, the chips are more efficient, thus, even better battery life.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Paul94544 View Post

If the battery size is doubles , won't the battery life be a lot more something like at lest 1.5 x? yes the display is larger so it will gobble up power, but all things being equal this will take the overall battery life up from current 8-10 to over 12 to 15 hours I would guess based on a simplistic calculation, more than enough! This does not include any allowance for battery power saving optimization with new OS either.

current iPhone 5 Internet use: Up to 8 hours on 3G, up to 10 hours on LTE, up to 10 hours on Wi-Fi

Am I the only one thinking IGZO? Much like the iPad Air?? The screen size increase should easily be offset by the IGZO technology. The screen will be thinner and use anywhere from 30 to 50 percent less power. Thus, I feel like the screen increase is a push in terms of battery life. 35% increase coupled with more efficient chips and OS. I see about a 35-40% bump in screen time and a 50% bump in talk time.

Am I alone on this or missing something?

See with the iPad, you got IGZO and a smaller battery = thinner iPad with same battery life. 

iPhone 6 = IGZO, bigger screen, bigger battery.   Likely a good bump in battery life.  I would be surprised if anything less than 30% over the 5S. 

Am I missing something?

• Reply 16 of 70
    paul94544 wrote: »
    If the battery size is doubles , won't the battery life be a lot more something like at lest 1.5 x? yes the display is larger so it will gobble up power, but all things being equal this will take the overall battery life up from current 8-10 to over 14+ hours I would guess based on a simplistic calculation, more than enough!

I wish that were true. But it's not just the size of the display, but the resolution. The higher that goes, the bigger battery.

For those of us who have been buying iPads, the answer is obvious. Higher resolution and a stronger SoC adds up to much more battery drain. When Apple went to the iPad 3 Retina model, they had to add several ounces just to maintain the same battery life as the older iPad 2, but even then the battery life was about 10% less. They did an amazing job with the Air, but that maintains the same screen.

But let's get to the actual sizes, assuming that what we've been reading is correct.

4" diag.
    3.49x1.96=6.8404 sq inches

4.7" diag.
    4.1x2.3=9.43 sq inches

5.5" diag.
    4.79x2.7=12.933 sq inches

So a 5.5" screen is just about double the size of the current 4" screen, area wise. This would need a batter that much larger. It's true that the screen doesn't eat up all of the battery, but a faster SoC will use more as well. But the higher Rez will add a good 25% to that battery size! just going by what happened to the iPads.

So it seems to me that unless Apple has done something very clever here, we'll see about the same battery life. We know that Apple was hoping to use a higher quality backlight film that would have required less battery useage than the two films currently used, but QC issues prevented that from being used.
  • Reply 17 of 70
    paul94544 wrote: »
    I believe, at least according to Apple spec., the LTE talk time on iPhone5  is up to  10 hours not 8

Not that I know of.

Just checked, yeah, it's 8 hours on 3G. Still, that doesn't change the fact that Apple's battery life is mediocre these days.
  • Reply 18 of 70
    I have to take a leak... How much are they paying?

Depends. Is it a golden leak?
  • Reply 19 of 70
    seankill wrote: »
    I imagine it would add several hours to the talk time, why do you believe the battery increase will not increase battery life? During a phone call, the screen is off, thus the extra battery will power the chips MUCH longer. Also, the chips are more efficient, thus, even better battery life.

Am I the only one thinking IGZO? Much like the iPad Air?? The screen size increase should easily be offset by the IGZO technology. The screen will be thinner and use anywhere from 30 to 50 percent less power. Thus, I feel like the screen increase is a push in terms of battery life. 35% increase coupled with more efficient chips and OS. I see about a 35-40% bump in screen time and a 50% bump in talk time.

Am I alone on this or missing something?

See with the iPad, you got IGZO and a smaller battery = thinner iPad with same battery life. 
    iPhone 6 = IGZO, bigger screen, bigger battery.   Likely a good bump in battery life.  I would be surprised if anything less than 30% over the 5S. 

Am I missing something?

People use the phone for many more things than phone calls. In fact, that's why talk time is unlimited these days, and you buy data plans instead. People are using their phones less and less for actuall phone calls, and are texting much more. Phones these days are used far more for Internet than calling.

We haven't heard anything about IGZO screens for these, unlike all the talk last year for the iPad Air.
  • Reply 20 of 70
    Quote:

People use the phone for many more things than phone calls. In fact, that's why talk time is unlimited these days, and you buy data plans instead. People are using their phones less and less for actuall phone calls, and are texting much more. Phones these days are used far more for Internet than calling.

We haven't heard anything about IGZO screens for these, unlike all the talk last year for the iPad Air.

I do not see how Apple could hit all their targets without an IGZO screen, including the thinner body and larger battery. Mark my words, IGZO or this will be a big miss in the battery life department. 

Additionally, we haven't had any screen leaks at all, given we don't know the resolution.

Also, notice I said a 35% bump in screen time. The savings of an IGZO will easily offset the bump in screen area and likely most of the resolution increase (processing).

Calling 14 hours or better on LTE, I wouldn't be surprised to see 15