Samsung asks New Yorkers to compare Apple's iPad Air to Galaxy Tab S in new ad

12346»

Comments

• Reply 101 of 104
    Originally Posted by cnocbui View Post

Do elucidate.

Show me any of those commercials where Microsoft, Dell, HP, or any companies are mentioned. They’re not.

This isn’t a laundry detergent commercial where they’ll outright say, “20% more effective than Tide!” The Get A Mac commercials positioned Apple against the rest of the industry as a whole. “Here’s every computer you would have otherwise considered. And here’s our stuff.”

• Reply 102 of 104
    cnocbuicnocbui Posts: 3,613member

Then it's a matter of interpretation and hair-splitting.

Apple have produced ads specifically comparing their products to competing products.  They are adds that invite comparison and which infer 'ours is better than theirs'.  They are completely different to ads that say 'we make widget n, and it has features x, y and z, so it's great, go buy one.

If you want to make a huge distinction that because names were left out the ads, they are therefore a different class of ad, then fine that's your prerogative, but I don't make that distinction and just view the compare and contrast type ads to be of a kind.

Apple's 'I'm a Mac' ads were far classier, subtle and humorous than Samsung's efforts, but their purpose was the same in my eyes.

• Reply 103 of 104
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by cnocbui View Post

Then it's a matter of interpretation and hair-splitting.

Apple have produced ads specifically comparing their products to competing products.  They are adds that invite comparison and which infer 'ours is better than theirs'.  They are completely different to ads that say 'we make widget n, and it has features x, y and z, so it's great, go buy one.

If you want to make a huge distinction that because names were left out the ads, they are therefore a different class of ad, then fine that's your prerogative, but I don't make that distinction and just view the compare and contrast type ads to be of a kind.

Apple's 'I'm a Mac' ads were far classier, subtle and humorous than Samsung's efforts, but their purpose was the same in my eyes.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Comparative_advertising

"Comparative advertising is an advertisement in which a particular product, or service, specifically mentions a competitor by name"

of course it then goes on to mention Mac vs. PC down below, but PC isn't a company or model.