Apple releases 7th preview of OS X Yosemite to developers

Posted:
in macOS edited September 2014
The next version of Apple's desktop operating system drew closer to release on Tuesday as the company pushed OS X Yosemite Developer Preview 7 to registered Apple developers.

The update, which Apple as usual says is "recommended for all users," can be downloaded via the Mac App Store or from Apple's developer portal. It has not been made available to members of the Yosemite public beta program, who were given access to a second prerelease version in late August.

In an accompanying seed note, the company cautions that developers will not be automatically logged in after installation of Developer Preview 7. Those with the FileVault disk encryption service enabled will find their system shut down if they do not login shortly after the reboot.

Apple also continues to acknowledge issues with Family Sharing, Gatekeeper, Handoff, iCloud Drive, Aperture, iPhoto, and Safari. Shared purchase history remains disabled on the Mac App Store, for instance, while using Handoff to pass an untitled TextEdit document between two Macs may not work properly.

In addition, Apple's photography applications may exhibit user interface issues like clipped text improperly displayed checkboxes. Importing and exporting could also be slower than normal.

Web developers, meanwhile, should take care to test their websites thoroughly in Safari. Subpixel rendering is now on by default, which may cause layout issues in sites with tight design constraints.

Accompanying the new Yosemite beta are updated beta versions of Xcode 6, OS X Server 4.0, and Apple Configurator 1.7.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 34
    So, early adopters...are the recurring issues you've noted here now fixed?
  • Reply 2 of 34
    wizard69wizard69 Posts: 13,377member
    So, early adopters...are the recurring issues you've noted here now fixed?

I haven't installed yet so I will get back to you in a few hours on that question. However I seem to have more problems with iOS betas than the Mac Betat. I probably shouldn't be surprised as I use iOS more these days.

However I will be looking closely at multi monitor support as that does seem to be a weak spot when I do get it installed. Is there anything specific you are worried about?
  • Reply 3 of 34

Looks like Apple’s going to be updating their hard drive icons. I imagine everything in the OS will get the once-over by the time the GM hits.

• Reply 4 of 34
    focherfocher Posts: 687member

I've actually been pleased with the stability since about Preview 2 or 3. There's still periodic wonky behavior but nothing consistent has stood out for me. Granted I don't really use some of the features highlighted in the notes so I might not be a good test.

iOS, on the other hand, always amazes me during the betas. I'm always surprised how many apps crash which says a lot more about the poor design of those apps (I understood it happening with the huge shift of iOS 6 to 7, but 7 to 8 shouldn't be as big of a change).

• Reply 5 of 34
    wizard69 wrote: »
    I haven't installed yet so I will get back to you in a few hours on that question. However I seem to have more problems with iOS betas than the Mac Betat. I probably shouldn't be surprised as I use iOS more these days.

However I will be looking closely at multi monitor support as that does seem to be a weak spot when I do get it installed. Is there anything specific you are worried about?

No. Just looking forward to observations and impressions.
  • Reply 6 of 34
    Every release is better than the next!

I haven't completed the OS X install yet -- not convenient to reboot * at this time.

I just installed XCode6 beta 7 and it looks good so far ...

* In the way way back, I remember a Steve preso where he said that you'd be able to install Mac OS X upgrades with[B][I] no reboot required ...[/I][/B]

... maybe I'm just holding it wrong :D
  • Reply 7 of 34
    pmzpmz Posts: 3,433member

Seems much the same as 6, besides some icon tweaks.

Thinner Fonts too...not so great on 1080p monitors or anything less than Retina.

• Reply 8 of 34
    MacProMacPro Posts: 19,727member
    pmz wrote: »
    Seems much the same as 6, besides some icon tweaks.

Thinner Fonts too...not so great on 1080p monitors or anything less than Retina.

I am the other end of the USA from home at the moment so can't install but are you saying the fonts changed with this latest version or earlier? If they are illegible on non retina screens I would have thought there would be a user option to cover this.
  • Reply 9 of 34
    Ya' know ...

I wish that Apple would drop [anticipated] new releases in the early AM or on weekends/holidays (these drops were due yesterday).

That way avid developers would get faster downloads because they would not be fighting all the business daytime traffic and the teeny boppers posting to FB et all.

Also, many like myself have things they must do during the business day (or when the market is open ...) -- so they cannot perform a lengthy install/reboot/install until after hours.

I must say, though -- it's a better experience than any Windows install (of released software) that I've ever done.
  • Reply 10 of 34
    mac_dogmac_dog Posts: 1,069member
    i'm a beta tester and mail in combination with anything safari is completely fucked up:
    copying/pasting a url
    sharing anything

also, clicking on any active link (url/email) in mail).

mail generates a blank email for a fraction of a second, then app crashes. then mail stops working altogether%u2014anything having to do with generating a new email. i usually have to restart to get mail to work.

this is the only part of the os that is wonky for me.
  • Reply 11 of 34
    Well, I decided to reboot ...

5.5 minutes pre-shutdown install (after OK to reboot given)
    0.5 minutes reboot
    6.5 minutes reboot install\\

~= 12 minutes lost

Weird thing -- the reboot install was displaying a blank screen with a minute remaining dialog -- then the sound from a YT video [that had been played in Safari] started playing -- then a few moments later the blank screen/dialog disappeared and was replaced with things just the way I left them -- lots of Safari windows/tabs (some needing religion), mail, XCode6 Beta 7, Calendar, etc.

Well played Apple!
  • Reply 12 of 34
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

Looks like Apple’s going to be updating their hard drive icons. I imagine everything in the OS will get the once-over by the time the GM hits.

New Orange-Yellow iMac FTW!

• Reply 13 of 34
    slurpyslurpy Posts: 5,384member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Dick Applebaum View Post

Ya' know ...

I wish that Apple would drop [anticipated] new releases in the early AM or on weekends/holidays (these drops were due yesterday).

That way avid developers would get faster downloads because they would not be fighting all the business daytime traffic and the teeny boppers posting to FB et all.

Also, many like myself have things they must do during the business day (or when the market is open ...) -- so they cannot perform a lengthy install/reboot/install until after hours.

I must say, though -- it's a better experience than any Windows install (of released software) that I've ever done.

So, uhh, what's stopping you from waiting a few hours to do the beta update? Or does Apple put a gun to your head and force you to update as soon as its released? Why are you compelled to interrupt your other tasks just because an update was released?

• Reply 14 of 34

I have been using it since the first DP and there is still a long ways to go, check out the screenshot and I wasn't even looking, I have a long list already sent in to Apple.

• Reply 15 of 34
    Quote:

Originally Posted by O4BlackWRX View Post

I have been using it since the first DP and there is still a long ways to go, check out the screenshot and I wasn't even looking, I have a long list already sent in to Apple.

Looks like you fit a lot of TBs of data on that little 500 MB drive. Nice compression.

• Reply 16 of 34
    cpsrocpsro Posts: 3,198member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by SpamSandwich View Post

Looks like you fit a lot of TBs of data on that little 500 MB drive. Nice compression.

Shhh... Apple quietly acquired Pied Piper last month.

• Reply 17 of 34
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Cpsro View Post

Shhh... Apple quietly acquired Pied Piper last month.

• Reply 18 of 34
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Dick Applebaum View Post

Every release is better than the next!

I haven't completed the OS X install yet -- not convenient to reboot * at this time.

I just installed XCode6 beta 7 and it looks good so far ...

* In the way way back, I remember a Steve preso where he said that you'd be able to install Mac OS X upgrades with no reboot required ...

... maybe I'm just holding it wrong image

I would have hoped for each release to be better than the last, rather than the next  :p

Quote:
    Originally Posted by SpamSandwich View Post

New Orange-Yellow iMac FTW!

The return of the berry colours! It's about time. Although, we probably don't need a handle for the laptops anymore. If you have trouble carrying a 1.6kg laptop, you probably aren't old enough to deserve one.

• Reply 19 of 34

iCloud Keychain was a bag of hurt in DP6, but it seems to be fixed now. Mail is working much better with my IMAP accounts.

• Reply 20 of 34

My issue of using keychain to save my username and password in our SSL enabled internal website still fails.  Each module the page loads requires the login and it never remembers my login information.  This doesn't occur in Safari for Mavericks nor any other browser in Yosemite.  I set it once and it remembers.  It's been an issue since beta 1.  The amount of logins has decreased, but they still occur.  Each time I submit the bug for each new beta, they close it as a duplicate a couple of days later.  Odd.