Apple says iCloud is safe and secure, stolen celebrity pics were targeted accounts

Comments

• Reply 21 of 178
    slurpyslurpy Posts: 5,384member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by alphafox View Post

so none of the photos came from an iCloud photo login being hacked? the article is confusing.

Some may have come from iCloud, but the login wasn't "hacked". These moronic celebrities had easy to guess passwords and security questions. Oh, and they were also moronic enough to have narcissistic, whorish, nude photos of themselves in the cloud. I have little sympathy. Pro-tip to celebs: If you don't want your nude photos leaked, maybe don't take such photos. And if you REALLY can't help yourself, don't upload them.  It's not that hard of a concept. It's like me putting all my valuable shit on the driveway, and then being outraged when something is stolen. Yeah, the theft is still a crime, but I should also take responsibility for my idiotic actions that led to it. It's not "slut-shaming" to point out that everyone is also responsible for securing themselves, and not being grotesquely negligent in this regard. 

• Reply 22 of 178
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Freshmaker View Post

Man you sure do love to generalize and make assumptions

"Sure"? "Love to"?

Hmm... sounds like a generalization and an assumption, respectively, to me.

• Reply 23 of 178
    fallenjtfallenjt Posts: 4,054member
    I said this in other forums: don't use stupid passwords, it's users' fault. Dont blame Apple.
  • Reply 24 of 178
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by meofcourse View Post

Why does Apple get all the blame? Videos were stolen too. iPhones and iCloud do not upload videos. So where were they hacked & stolen from. If ANY of those reporting on this had a clue of reporting and journalism they would investigate. But Apple in a headline gets them clicks.

Oh and the nudes I've seen of these "stars" - they all look better with their clothes ON.

No sympathy for selfless or the stupid people that buy a phone and don't know how to use it.

If I have your iCould credentials (your apple ID) I can restore any backup you have on the cloud to my device. When I do that, I get the whole phone os, camera roll, mail, and the logged in state and message history of any apps at the time the backup was made. You can also install older backups and see photos or videos that may have been deleted after.

• Reply 25 of 178
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Phone-UI-Guy View Post

Indirectly this is in some way confirming the authenticity of stolen photos and videos by saying that accounts were compromised. 

Sounds to me more like a phishing attack.

Person receives fake Apple email to their private email account, which was obtained previously (maybe from one of those large credit card hackings, like at Target) and they are prompted to confirm some innocuous information and their password... Boom.

• Reply 26 of 178
    Quote:

Originally Posted by John.B View Post

While this may or may not be true, it doesn't excuse Apple from not having rate-limited iCloud login attempts:

http://thenextweb.com/apple/2014/09/01/this-could-be-the-apple-icloud-flaw-that-led-to-celebrity-photos-being-leaked/

This doesn't appear to have anything to do with a brute force attack.

• Reply 27 of 178
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Slurpy View Post

Pro-tip to celebs: If you don't want your nude photos leaked, maybe don't take such photos. And if you REALLY can't help yourself, don't upload them.  It's not that hard of a concept. It's like me putting all my valuable shit on the driveway, and then being outraged when something is stolen. Yeah, the theft is still a crime, but I should also take responsibility for my idiotic actions that led to it. It's not "slut-shaming" to point out that everyone is also responsible for securing themselves, and not being grotesquely negligent in this regard. 

Hard to argue against most of this, if in doubt don't take selfie specials etc & upload them anywhere.

If you really have to use a rock solid password, something such as password should do it :)

• Reply 28 of 178
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Tokolosh View Post

I think Kirsten Dunst owes Apple an apology. ;)

Why? For buying everyone pizza and soft-serve chocolate ice cream?

• Reply 29 of 178
    apple ][apple ][ Posts: 9,233member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by SpamSandwich View Post

It could be, but either way, the user is fully responsible.

I mean, I'm sure that plenty of people get emails from Nigeria, but if they actually respond and believe those emails, then whose fault is that?

Personal responsibility is sadly something that many people do not believe in anymore. If somebody does something stupid, then that is their own damn fault, and they should take responsibility for their own actions, and not point their dirty fingers elsewhere, falsely accusing others for their own self made problems.

• Reply 30 of 178
    apple ][ wrote: »
    Haha, there we go!

The media can now all go and screw themselves! 

Anybody who lied about this story should be demoted and they should all receive pay cuts.
    You know this won't be the end of it sadly. Regardless of facts the lies about Apple get more traction than the truth.

How much pissing and moaning did we hear about the antena bs but heard little of the truth that all handssets had this issue and that it wasn't limited to Apple?
  • Reply 31 of 178
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Apple ][ View Post

It could be, but either way, the user is fully responsible.

I mean, I'm sure that plenty of people get emails from Nigeria, but if they actually respond and believe those emails, then whose fault is that?

Personal responsibility is sadly something that many people do not believe in anymore. If somebody does something stupid, then that is their own damn fault, and they should take responsibility for their own actions, and not point their dirty fingers elsewhere, falsely accusing others for their own self made problems.

While I agree that self-responsibility is key, getting hacked is no cup of tea. 

Here's the link to Apple's statement, which seems oddly missing from the main story:  www.apple.com/pr/library/2014/09/02Apple-Media-Advisory.html

• Reply 32 of 178
    Quote:

I dunno.   The statement issued doesn't absolve them if their API code allowing infinite tries was in fact the problem, or if that was just coincidental.

What I did read was... If you're not a celebrity, don't worry, your pictures are likely safe, unless someone has targeted you and we don't know it

• Reply 33 of 178
    Quote:

Here's the link to Apple's statement, which seems oddly missing from the main story:  www.apple.com/pr/library/2014/09/02Apple-Media-Advisory.html

The full text of what's in that link is in the story, though.

• Reply 34 of 178

Meanwhile -- off-topic -- this does seem like the real thing (iPhone 6)? 

• Reply 35 of 178
    Quote:

While I agree that self-responsibility is key, getting hacked is no cup of tea. 

I'm sure that it's not.

I've never gotten hacked online, but I was the target of a telephone scam some years back, by some shady company that had somehow made a few charges to one of my bank cards, without my authorization of course. 

I was seriously pissed off, and I immediately cancelled that card, and then I contacted the State Attorney General, the FTC, and I even spoke to an agent at the FBI, since this was across state lines. To make a long story short, the situation was rectified pretty quickly.

• Reply 36 of 178
    Quote:

Person receives fake Apple email to their private email account, which was obtained previously (maybe from one of those large credit card hackings, like at Target) and they are prompted to confirm some innocuous information and their password... Boom.

where does it sound like phishing?  There are other methods of targeting.

You think these celebs shop at Target during the holidays?  That's a stretch.

• Reply 37 of 178
    slurpyslurpy Posts: 5,384member
    Quote:

Kirsten Dunst ia apparently just as brain-dead in real life as the air-heads she tends to portray in her roles. "Thank you iCloud"? Apple didn't put a gun to your head, and force you to take nude selfies then upload them to the internet. Neither did Apple force you to use a shitty password, and shitty security questions. When in doubt, maybe DON'T take nude photos of yourself from your internet connected phone? Na, that would make too much sense. I have no fucking accountability, so I'll just blame "iCloud". 

• Reply 38 of 178
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Slurpy View Post

Kirsten Dunst ia apparently just as brain-dead in real life as the air-heads she tends to portray in her roles. "Thank you iCloud"? Apple didn't put a gun to your head, and force you to take nude selfies then upload them to the internet. Neither did Apple force you to use a shitty password, and shitty security questions. When in doubt, maybe DON'T take nude photos of yourself from your internet connected phone? Na, that would make too much sense. I have no fucking accountability, so I'll just blame "iCloud". 

And just yesterday, some people here were defending these pea-brained actresses, accusing others of misogyny.:no:

• Reply 39 of 178
    ai46ai46 Posts: 56member
    Quote:

Sorta gives a new meaning to "Eat your words."—?

• Reply 40 of 178
    Quote:

One of the drawbacks to having the phone ask for permission to do things is that it always asking me to authenticate. I have caught myself many times just out of habit entering a pin code or apple id without actually reading the screen. I could see someone making a javascript malware script that popped up a pixel perfect authentication dialog in safari that would look like some other innocuous app in the background needing your credentials. Embarrassingly, I myself have even completed an unintended in-app purchase simply because muscle memory took over before my conscious mind could process what was happening.