Samsung officially unveils Galaxy Note 4, Gears S, and new Gear VR partnership with Oculus

Comments

• Reply 21 of 84
    dasanman69 wrote: »
    His opinion is based solely on form, and not on function. I believe even if and when Apple releases the iWatch its functions won't be fully realized until developers get their hands on it.

He was surely saying the same thing about the iPod, iPhone and iPad.
  • Reply 22 of 84
    pazuzupazuzu Posts: 1,728member
    dasanman69 wrote: »
    His opinion is based solely on form, and not on function. I believe even if and when Apple releases the iWatch its functions won't be fully realized until developers get their hands on it.

Not really. What functions can it possibly give me that my iPhone can't? What is the advantage of lifting my arm up to read something tiny rather than lifting a iPhone out of my pocket with a better reading screen? To monitor my heart rate??? Really???
  • Reply 23 of 84
    solipsismx wrote: »
    He was surely saying the same thing about the iPod, iPhone and iPad.

Not at all. However is bet you'd just go for whatever Apple releases without a second thought. I bet you even bought the disastrous supermini iPod Nano too.
  • Reply 24 of 84
    pazuzu wrote: »
    Not really. What functions can it possibly give me that my iPhone can't? What is the advantage of lifting my arm up to read something tiny rather than lifting a iPhone out of my pocket with a better reading screen? To monitor my heart rate??? Really???

Did you think you'd be able to do half the things that you do on your smartphone? I totally get where you're coming from, but I'd rather wait, and see before I pass judgement.
  • Reply 25 of 84
    Not at all.

Sure¡
    However is bet you'd just go for whatever Apple releases without a second thought.

If you paid attention you'd know I make no decisions without careful consideration which means I make no decision on a product site unseen.
    I bet you even bought the disastrous supermini iPod Nano too.

First determine what need I have an iPod Nano. Second, tell me what is a supermini iPod Nano. The smallest I remember is the one people made into a watch that was quite popular.
  • Reply 26 of 84
    Originally Posted by itpromike View Post

What's unfortunate 

Learn how to format.

...the iPhone 6 5.5 inch if it does come out will be destroyed by the Note 4 with actually getting work done.

Completely and utterly wrong.

There are so many features that the Note series now carries that are actually geared toward getting things done which many people need/would prefer. 

None of which are in use.

Apples larger iPhone will just be that... the same iPhone we have now (obviously with hardware improvements) but just bigger so there won't be any thought on how to take advantage of the extra real estate to get things done... 

Take your FUD and shove it. Go find another website to spew your lies.

• Reply 27 of 84
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by pazuzu View Post

It's not necessarily function, it's workflow.

To get the same information... if I have a choice of:

- a wrist flick and a quick glance, vs.

- a pocket/purse excavation, waking up the device, etc.

I'll take the convenience of the former any day.

• Reply 28 of 84
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

Learn how to format.

Completely and utterly wrong.

None of which are in use.

Take your FUD and shove it. Go find another website to spew your lies.

Because you’re a paid Samsung shill.

And a moron to boot.

And a little bit insane.

Awwwe, just insults? That's all you got mate? Real information a bit lacking? Ahh I see. You're talking to a guy who has owned almost every Apple product (with exception of the Newton and a few others).

Apple II? check!

iMac (original)? check!

MacBook (black)? check!

Mac Pro? check!

Mac Mini? check!

Mac Pro (2014)? Planned in the next month

MacBook Pro 13"? check!

MacBook Pro Retina 15"? check!

iPhone (original@$600)? check!

iPhone 3G? check!

iPhone 3GS? check!

iPhone 4? check!

iPhone 4S? check!

iPhone 5? check!

iPhone 5S? check!

But yeah bub, I'm a paid shill of some sort sure. Whatever makes you feel better and not feel enraged and butthurt because I have a different opinion than yours that's based on actual usage and experience rather than blind loyalty just because... I make my decisions based on what's best for my needs and what gives me more for my money regardless of company manufacturing it. It just so happens to be Apple who has provided that up until this point.... but when they don't, I don't owe them anything or any loyalty... they've already got plenty of my money.

• Reply 29 of 84

iPhone:
    Pull phone from pocket. Use Touch Id to unlock phone. Locate and open BMP app. Place finger over the LED flash on back of iPhone and then press the start button. Wait for the required time for the app to complete. Note your BMP. Close app. Lock screen. Put phone back in your pocket.

iWatch:
    (scenario 1)
    Do nothing. it does it periodically on its own without any user intervention.

(scenario 2)
    Depress button or touchscreen to start app. Note your BMP when it's over or simply read it after it syncs with the Health app on your iPhone.
  • Reply 30 of 84

Awwwe, just insults?

Learn how to read.

You’re talking to a guy who has owned... 

No one gives a crap. At all. This does nothing to validate your “argument”.

But yeah bub, I'm a paid shill of some sort sure. Whatever makes you feel better and not feel enraged and butthurt because I have a different opinion than yours that's based on actual usage and experience rather than blind loyalty just because... I make my decisions based on what's best for my needs and what gives me more for my money regardless of company manufacturing it. It just so happens to be Apple who has provided that up until this point.... but when they don't, I don't owe them anything or any loyalty... they've already got plenty of my money.

Still does absolutely nothing to validate your “argument”.

• Reply 31 of 84
    Quote:

What's unfortunate is the iPhone 6 5.5 inch if it does come out will be destroyed by the Note 4 with actually getting work done. I'm not talking about the silly rounded edge Note, but the Note 4. There are so many features that the Note series now carries that are actually geared toward getting things done which many people need/would prefer. Apples larger iPhone will just be that... the same iPhone we have now (obviously with hardware improvements) but just bigger so there won't be any thought on how to take advantage of the extra real estate to get things done... how do I know this? Because the iPad which is even bigger does nothing to take advantage of the extra real estate to get things done (the current state of the music app for iPad shows this). And I'm not talking about 3rd party app design, I'm talking the OS itself being designed in a way that takes advantage of the extra screen real estate and being designed with features to get things done. Multi select, split screen apps with data sharing between the 2, and other features where Samsung (samsung of all people) has thought through and given users the ability to do more. The lawsuit with Apple awoken the sleeping dragon and slowly but surely Samsung has been adding features to differentiate itself from the slavish copier it was (at least in terms of software). Copying is in their DNS so they have continued to copy other things and other companies. Gimmicks are also in their DNA, they continue to have gimmicky features that no one uses. However one thing is for sure, with every few gimmicks they introduce there is at least 1 feature that's actually useful that I wish Apple would adopt but probably never and more and more of those features are adding up.

So much crap I don't even know which end to start shoveling from.

As soon as you said iPad Apps don't take advantage of screen real estate you made yourself look like a fool. It's Android tablets that don't know how to use screen real estate, not the iPad. Android developers are too lazy to optimize for tablets, so they let their "phone" Apps scale up. That's the worst method to use when adapting for a larger screen.

There's no Office for Android. So how are you going to get work done on the industry standard productivity suite when you can't even run the software? The Note comes with KNOX for Enterprise use, but it's been a dismal failure with only a fraction of users actually enabling it. Of course, this makes sense since the iPhone dominates Android phones by more than 2:1 for Enterprise use while the iPad dominates Android tablets by 9:1. You better hurry up and let them all know they're using a device that isn't productive or takes advantage of that screen real estate.

Then we have IBM, who partnered with Apple for Enterprise offerings. This makes sense since IBM is one of the analytics companies that does reports on mobile usage. They know iOS mops the floor with Android in actual usage, which is likely a very big reason they went with iOS.

• Reply 32 of 84
    As soon as you said iPad Apps don't take advantage of screen real estate you made yourself look like a fool. It's Android tablets that don't know how to use screen real estate, not the iPad.

This can ve verified by simply looking at Google's own states for rating device sizes. Note the overlap and lack of specific aspect ratios, point densities, and resolutions.
  • Reply 33 of 84
    Sure¡
    If you paid attention you'd know I make no decisions without careful consideration which means I make no decision on a product site unseen.
    First determine what need I have an iPod Nano. Second, tell me what is a supermini iPod Nano. The smallest I remember is the one people made into a watch that was quite popular.

Why would I pay attention to you? LOL as if? Not interested in reading all your personal attacks.
    It was the one without any buttons. Maybe it was a shuffle? Whatever I bet you love it- no?
  • Reply 34 of 84
    Why would I pay attention to you? LOL as if? Not interested in reading all your personal attacks.
    It was the one without any buttons. Maybe it was a shuffle? Whatever I bet you love it- no?

1) They all have at least one virtual or physical button.

2) If you don't even know from a Nano or Shuffle should you really be trying to make a point when you don't have a clue?
  • Reply 35 of 84
    iPhone:
    Pull phone from pocket. Use Touch Id to unlock phone. Locate and open BMP app. Place finger over the LED flash on back of iPhone and then press the start button. Wait for the required time for the app to complete. Note your BMP. Close app. Lock screen. Put phone back in your pocket.

iWatch:
    (scenario 1)
    Do nothing. it does it periodically on its own without any user intervention.

(scenario 2)
    Depress button or touchscreen to start app. Note your BMP when it's over or simply read it after it syncs with the Health app on your iPhone.

Again not a hypochondriac- I get complete physicals twice a year. So not interested.
    And it's a tiny screen so that seals it.
  • Reply 36 of 84
    1) They all have at least one virtual or physical button.

2) If you don't even know from a Nano or Shuffle should you really be trying to make a point when you don't have a clue?

LOLOL I must be Apple stupid and you're such.an Apple genius! That's it !
  • Reply 37 of 84
    Again not a hypochondriac-

Neither are people that like to monitor stats to simply measure an increase or decrease in fitness.
    I get complete physicals twice a year. So not interested.

Every 6 months you're getting a physical? Really now?! I'm calling bullshit on that one. The common pattern is annual checkups every year if you're over 50yo, every couple years from 30 to 40, and every 3yo if you're 20 to 30, but most don't even do that much. You're "I'm not a hypochondriac but I get a physical every 180 days" is you just making shit up. It's getting your teeth cleaned that is recommended twice a year. If you don't what a dentist is then google it.
    And it's a tiny screen so that seals it.

That makes perfect sense¡ All those sensors need a large screen on my wrist and in on way to can just work on their own or send data to my iPhone via BLE for recording and analysis¡
  • Reply 38 of 84
    LOLOL I must be Apple stupid and you're such.an Apple genius! That's it !

If you're going to call yourself stupid I'm not going to argue with you.
  • Reply 39 of 84
    itpromike wrote: »
    What's unfortunate is the iPhone 6 5.5 inch if it does come out will be destroyed by the Note 4 with actually getting work done. I'm not talking about the silly rounded edge Note, but the Note 4. There are so many features that the Note series now carries that are actually geared toward getting things done which many people need/would prefer. Apples larger iPhone will just be that... the same iPhone we have now (obviously with hardware improvements) but just bigger so there won't be any thought on how to take advantage of the extra real estate to get things done... how do I know this? Because the iPad which is even bigger does nothing to take advantage of the extra real estate to get things done (the current state of the music app for iPad shows this). And I'm not talking about 3rd party app design, I'm talking the OS itself being designed in a way that takes advantage of the extra screen real estate and being designed with features to get things done. Multi select, split screen apps with data sharing between the 2, and other features where Samsung (samsung of all people) has thought through and given users the ability to do more. The lawsuit with Apple awoken the sleeping dragon and slowly but surely Samsung has been adding features to differentiate itself from the slavish copier it was (at least in terms of software). Copying is in their DNS so they have continued to copy other things and other companies. Gimmicks are also in their DNA, they continue to have gimmicky features that no one uses. However one thing is for sure, with every few gimmicks they introduce there is at least 1 feature that's actually useful that I wish Apple would adopt but probably never and more and more of those features are adding up.

The value of the iPhone had always been its simplicity and even Mac OS is adopting the same UI philosophy. While Mac OS hasn't moved away from, say, overlapped windows, they have added a "full screen mode" which hides "UI chrome" like the toolbars until they are needed. Together with the ability to easily swipe (using multitouch) between multiple full screen desktops, it's an elegant and simple way to use multiple full-screen apps. If anything, this is moving away from arranging apps using windows. So the idea that we should return to 1984 for UI innovations (with overlapping windows, or even split-screen windows, which is how Microsoft Windows 1.0 presented multiple apps) is not where Apple seems to be headed.
  • Reply 40 of 84

Most iterative stuff as expected, though early reviews seem to be praise the screen similar to the 1440p S5 LTE-A screen. These newest AMOLEDs seem very impressive and don't have the same power drain and brightness issues as LCD 1440p screen in this size.  

The Gear VR is pretty darn cool though - no doubt it's still more of a toy and not a prime-time thing, but if the price is right, I might get one just to play around. Watching movies is going to be immersive and I don't mind beta-ing a bunch of new 3D games and app. This is going to be a fun space and I'm looking forward to seeing it evolve (vs. waiting for it to be polished).