Samsung officially unveils Galaxy Note 4, Gears S, and new Gear VR partnership with Oculus

Comments

• Reply 41 of 84
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by mrboba1 View Post

* - currently Samsung apps only

There's your problem!

What developers are writing apps for this type of thing? I really don't think it will become popular.
  • Reply 42 of 84
    kevliu1980 wrote: »
    Most iterative stuff as expected, though early reviews seem to be praise the screen similar to the 1440p S5 LTE-A screen. These newest AMOLEDs seem very impressive and don't have the same power drain and brightness issues as LCD 1440p screen in this size.  

The Gear VR is pretty darn cool though - no doubt it's still more of a toy and not a prime-time thing, but if the price is right, I might get one just to play around. Watching movies is going to be immersive and I don't mind beta-ing a bunch of new 3D games and app. This is going to be a fun space and I'm looking forward to seeing it evolve (vs. waiting for it to be polished). 

VR is destined to remain as a small market for hobbyists simply because the use cases are so limited and use other than at a desk or in a chair is even more limited.
  • Reply 43 of 84
    Kudos to Samsung at least with the new Note 4 Edge they showed some innovations. It reminded me of the Steve Jobs Era. The virtual reality gear is pretty cool too. The phone is amazing. I hope Apple will introduce the new IPhone with 3 gigs of Ram as well to take full advantage of the 64 bit architecture. 1 Gig is pretty anemic. Can't wait for the Apple keynote. Interesting month there's a tech devise for any taste.
  • Reply 44 of 84
    Quote:

Originally Posted by pazuzu View Post

Why would I pay attention to you? LOL as if? Not interested in reading all your personal attacks.

Somehow, I doubt that personal attacks (real or imagined) have anything to do with your attention span.

• Reply 45 of 84
    Originally Posted by stylorouge View Post

Samsung... ...showed some innovations.

It reminded me of the Steve Jobs Era. 

...3 gigs of Ram as well to take full advantage of the 64 bit architecture.

Come off it. Still, that rumor about the iPad getting 2 gigs and the iPhone having 1 better not be true. It’s obviously true...

• Reply 46 of 84

I really like that watch especially because you don't need a phone anymore. Let's see what Apple comes up with.

• Reply 47 of 84
    Quote:

Originally Posted by stylorouge View Post

Kudos to Samsung at least with the new Note 4 Edge they showed some innovations. It reminded me of the Steve Jobs Era. The virtual reality gear is pretty cool too. The phone is amazing. I hope Apple will introduce the new IPhone with 3 gigs of Ram as well to take full advantage of the 64 bit architecture. 1 Gig is pretty anemic. Can't wait for the Apple keynote. Interesting month there's a tech devise for any taste.

Steve Jobs would not have released anything shown at Samsung's unboxing event.

The iPhone takes advantage of the 64bit chip right now. iOS doesn't require more than 700MB idle like that TouchWiz crap does, so 3GB is absolutely unnecessary and would be a pointless drain of battery.

• Reply 48 of 84
    nelsonx wrote: »
    I really like that watch especially because you don't need a phone anymore. Let's see what Apple comes up with.

How much does it cost and when can you buy one? They didn't say, because they have no clue if this plate of spaghetti noodles will stick or slide.
  • Reply 49 of 84
    Quote:

Originally Posted by SpamSandwich View Post

How much does it cost and when can you buy one? They didn't say, because they have no clue if this plate of spaghetti noodles will stick or slide.

Totally agree.

They do not announce pricing at the event because they have no idea what the reception will be like, and thus the pricing.

It screams confidence.

• Reply 50 of 84

Bet they won’t say until the afternoon of the 9th.

• Reply 51 of 84
    Quote:

VR is destined to remain as a small market for hobbyists simply because the use cases are so limited and use other than at a desk or in a chair is even more limited.

Don't know about that POV anymore - it used to be a bit of a fringe idea, but the tech is advancing so quickly that I'm starting to come around. Sure the casual tech user might not be on board, but more and more I think VR may be mainstream in the next couple years. Gaming (Xbox, etc), watching movies, and <ahem> adult activities seem like they will be massively more immersive without a high cost or complexity. 

• Reply 52 of 84
    Quote:

Originally Posted by MazeCookie View Post

The iPhone takes advantage of the 64bit chip right now. iOS doesn't require more than 700MB idle like that TouchWiz crap does, so 3GB is absolutely unnecessary and would be a pointless drain of battery.

Lots of reasons not to need extra memory, but battery drain? lol

I do think iOS could use a memory bump however - there are times even mobile Safari can run out of memory if you have a lot of heavy tabs open, causing the tab to 'reload' when you try to view it.  Even with the way iOS handles multi-tasking, a single app can eat up all available memory. For those keeping their iPhone for 2 years, I'd be a bit disappointed if the iPhone 6 didn't come with 2GB.

• Reply 53 of 84
    Quote:

Originally Posted by kevliu1980 View Post

Lots of reasons not to need extra memory, but battery drain? lol

I do think iOS could use a memory bump however - there are times even mobile Safari can run out of memory if you have a lot of heavy tabs open, causing the tab to 'reload' when you try to view it.  Even with the way iOS handles multi-tasking, a single app can eat up all available memory. For those keeping their iPhone for 2 years, I'd be a bit disappointed if the iPhone 6 didn't come with 2GB.

Yes, RAM is a hog on battery life.

I don't disagree. I would also like to see an increase. I just think 3GB is overkill. 

• Reply 54 of 84
    Quote:

Yes, RAM is a hog on battery life.

Source that it is a hog on battery life for smart phones?

• Reply 55 of 84
    mazecookie wrote: »
    Really? So you believe an iPhone with 3 Gigs of Ram is a waste? Imagine then if they put 3 gigs of ram it will be beyond fast. Specs on Apple products are pretty low hopefully next week they will pump up the specs. Competition is ahead.

• Reply 56 of 84
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Negafox View Post

Source that it is a hog on battery life for smart phones?

You really require a source for that?

Is it too hard to understand that giving more applications and processes the ability to stay in volatile memory simultaneously effects battery life negatively?

• Reply 57 of 84
    stylorouge wrote: »
    1. Go check the benchmarks, the 1 GB found in the iPhone 5s is actually faster than the gimmicky 3 GB ram found in Shamsung Gal. Note III, just like the iPhone dual core is faster than Shamsung octa core, this has nothing to do with the iPhone better optimization, they are different measurement, why is Shamesung using this measurement? is to add big numbers on their sheet to fool dumb customers
    Second, this is based ARM architecture not Intel based X86, does not require four gigs this is not a PC
  • Reply 58 of 84
    imember wrote: »
    1. Go check the benchmarks, the 1 GB found in the iPhone 5s is actually faster than the gimmicky 3 GB ram found in Shamsung Gal. Note III, just like the iPhone dual core is faster than Shamsung octa core, this has nothing to do with the iPhone better optimization, they are different measurement, why is Shamesung using this measurement? is to add the Big numbers on their sheet for fool dumb customers
    Second, this is based ARM architecture not Intel based X86, does not require four gigs this is not a PC
    Then problem solved we don't need 3 gigs or quad core processors until of course Apple introduces them and everybody will be in disbelief as to how fast a future iphone will run.
  • Reply 59 of 84
    Quote:

You really require a source for that?

Is it too hard to understand that giving more applications and processes the ability to stay in volatile memory simultaneously effects battery life negatively?

The difference would be negligible at best, not a "hog on battery life" as you put it.  Honestly, it would be offset by less needing to stream assets in and out of RAM which would likely be a larger battery drain.

Or, if true, Apple should introduce a feature to their notebook line to disable half the RAM as a battery saving mode.

• Reply 60 of 84
    stylorouge wrote: »
    Kudos to Samsung at least with the new Note 4 Edge they showed some innovations. It reminded me of the Steve Jobs Era.

What fictional nonsense. "Steve Jobs era"? Please.