Japanese smartphone buyers prefer Apple's anticipated 5.5" 'iPhone 6,' data shows

Posted:
in iPhone edited September 2014
Consumers in Japan -- now one of Apple's most important markets -- are excited by the prospect of a larger iPhone and the increased screen size could be a key driver of sales to new customers in the Asian nation, according to new survey data released this week.

Japanese market research firm MMD spoke to some 3,000 mobile phone users in the month of August --?1,000 each from major carriers Docomo, au, and SoftBank. Of those, 35.7 percent indicated that they intend to purchase Apples's next-generation handset.

Some 33.3 percent of prospective iPhone 6 buyers said that they were interested in the device because it was time to upgrade their smartphone. 29.9 percent, meanwhile, said that the rumored display size increase piqued their interest.

More than 40 percent of those who want a larger-screened iPhone are interested in the rumored 5.5-inch model, while just 20 percent see the 4.7-inch variant as ideal.

Japanese consumers have wholeheartedly embraced the iPhone since its launch, with the device owning over half of the smartphone market that was previously dominated by domestic players like Sharp and Sony. Perhaps even more impressively, the iPhone accounts for more than one out of every three mobile phone shipments in a country where so-called "feature phones," which cost significantly less than smartphones, continue to be top sellers.

Apple's Japanese success comes despite initial skepticism on the part of industry watchers, who believed the Silicon Valley company would not be able to compete with Japanese handsets that offered features like television reception and touch-based mobile payments.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 40
    I guess iPhone 5.5 will make iPad mini pretty much dead. And it is a good thing, Apple is better to disrupt themselves than let others to disrupt them.
  • Reply 2 of 40

We'll see if the "other" category is disappointed because that would mean buying the year old 5S.

• Reply 3 of 40
    That thing will be gigantic. I don't know how anyone could walk around with it in their pocket.
  • Reply 4 of 40
    lilgto64lilgto64 Posts: 1,147member
    [QUOTE]Apple's Japanese success comes despite initial skepticism on the part of industry watchers, who believed the Silicon Valley company would not be able to compete with Japanese handsets that offered features like television reception and touch-based mobile payments.[/QUOTE]

Because, ya know, it is just so shockingly unexpected that the "industry watchers" get it so wrong. Shouldn't this be "Apple stock price takes a hit this week when it is revealed that Apple's marketshare is significantly different* than analysts predicted."

*different in this case meaning far exceeding predictions, so clearly there is something wrong at Apple and Doom is imminent anytime a company outperforms the experts' predictions.
  • Reply 5 of 40
    And yet AAPL is falling like a rock today! Run for the hills! :))
  • Reply 6 of 40
    sockrolidsockrolid Posts: 2,789member

Originally Posted by sog35 View Post

The "other' is the 4.0 inch iPhone Color.

Basically the 5S in a plastic shell.

Nope.  Basically the 5 in a plastic shell.  Not 5S.

Pay attention, man!

• Reply 7 of 40
    Quote:

Originally Posted by lilgto64 View Post

Because, ya know, it is just so shockingly unexpected that the "industry watchers" get it so wrong. Shouldn't this be "Apple stock price takes a hit this week when it is revealed that Apple's marketshare is significantly different* than analysts predicted."

*different in this case meaning far exceeding predictions, so clearly there is something wrong at Apple and Doom is imminent anytime a company outperforms the experts' predictions.

Well also the fact that the Japanese are very biased towards home grown products. The iPhone breaking with that tradition is out of the norm.

• Reply 8 of 40
    Quote:

Originally Posted by MacVicta View Post

That thing will be gigantic. I don't know how anyone could walk around with it in their pocket.

No, it's not gigantic. This screen size and around it is the fastest growing segment of the mobile phones right now. It's not a phone anymore. It's so much more.

• Reply 9 of 40
    sockrolidsockrolid Posts: 2,789member
    Quote:

That's the 5C you are talking about.

iPhone Pro 5.5

iPhone Air 4.7

iPhone Color 4.0 (5S in plastic)

iPhone 5C ( 5 in plastic, only in white or black)

Yup.  Just nitpicking.  You said the 5C was "basically" a 5S in a plastic shell.

Nope.  It's basically a 5 in a plastic shell.  (No Touch ID sensor, no 64-bit A7 SoC, etc.)

Are we clear now?

• Reply 10 of 40
    apple ][apple ][ Posts: 9,233member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by jason98 View Post

I guess iPhone 5.5 will make iPad mini pretty much dead. And it is a good thing, Apple is better to disrupt themselves than let others to disrupt them.

That couldn't be further from the truth.

There is a huge price difference. The iPhone 5.5 will be around $700-$800 probably, and how much is an iPad Mini again?

Oh, that's right, you can get one for $200 recently at some places.

And also, 7.9 is a bit bigger than 5.5, and also, not everybody wants a phone or wants to pay for a phone plan.

• Reply 11 of 40
    Other category about size of 5.5, I'm guessing there wanting 4.5 or less.
  • Reply 12 of 40
    If I can't put the MOBILE phone in the front pocket of my jeans comfortably, I have no use for it.
  • Reply 13 of 40
    Quote:

Originally Posted by RedRaider2011 View Post

If I can't put the MOBILE phone in the front pocket of my jeans comfortably, I have no use for it.

Then buy a smaller phone.

I have no preference for 4.7 VS 5.5, as I probably wont be getting any new phone this year, but I bet that Apple will sell plenty of both models.

• Reply 14 of 40
    Quote:

some people carry purses

Real men don't carry purses.

• Reply 15 of 40
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Apple ][ View Post

There is a huge price difference. The iPhone 5.5 will be around $700-$800 probably, and how much is an iPad Mini again?

Well, I did not mean literally dead. But as dead as iPod Touch is. :)

• Reply 16 of 40
    Quote:

half the planet are not men

And how do you know what the poster you responded to is, since you suggested they get a purse?

I think that plenty of people, both males and females will be buying the 5.5.

• Reply 17 of 40
    blackbookblackbook Posts: 1,361member
    apple ][ wrote: »

And also, 7.9 is a bit bigger than 5.5, and also, not everybody wants a phone or wants to pay for a phone plan.

When you look at it this way, it seems to me that if the 5.5 inch iPhone is successful, Apple's margins should go through the roof.

Higher margin iPhones plus a new payment system could mean even more blockbuster quarters for Apple going forward.
  • Reply 18 of 40
    No doubt sog made up half of those 5.5" votes.

I would be in the other camp. My glimmer of hope regarding a new A8-infused 4" is fading fast :(
  • Reply 19 of 40
    512ke512ke Posts: 782member

What you are not realizing is that, alongside the anticipated 5.5" iPhone 6, Apple will also be releasing a new line of Burberry-designed pants and shirts that will feature 6 inch pockets.

I predict that 2015 will be the year of the 6 inch pocket. 

• Reply 20 of 40
    Surprising.