Jony Ive reportedly says 'iWatch' will be trouble for Switzerland

Posted:
in Future Apple Hardware edited September 2014
Apple SVP of Design Jony Ive reportedly put the entire country of Switzerland on notice in touting the company's long-rumored wearable device, suggesting a fit and finish comparable to or surpassing that of traditional watches.

According to an unnamed source working on Ive's team, the design guru said Switzerland is in trouble, referring to the rumored "iWatch" release, reports The New York Times. The publication did not furnish an actual quote, but noted Ive used stronger language to express the notion.

Ive's reported aside was wrapped in a story about the general wearables market, which up to this point has failed to deliver on fashion, something of a commodity for traditional watchmakers. More specifically, the piece covered the unveiling of Intel's MICA (My Intelligent Communication Accessory) bracelet, a fashion-forward wearable created in partnership with Barneys New York.

Apple is expected to release its own wrist-worn wearable in the near future, with industry insiders anticipating a product boasting the usual appealing industrial design synonymous with Apple's brand. Recent rumors claimed the company was looking at a retail price of around $400, which if true would make the iWatch one of the most expensive smartwatches available.

The most recent rumblings say Apple is planning to announce the iWatch at an upcoming special event on Sept. 9, which is widely thought to focus on the next-generation iPhone lineup.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 243

Those words send shivers to the knees of Samesong. Sorry, samsung.

• Reply 2 of 243
    jakebjakeb Posts: 562member

• Reply 3 of 243
    apple ][apple ][ Posts: 9,233member

Woah! This is big!

Does Ive ever comment on anything, especially on something that is not released yet?

If Jony Ive is saying something to the effect that the entire country of Switzerland is in trouble, then this sounds freaking awesome! The iWatch will be huge!

Let's crush Switzerland! Apple will lead the way! I never did care much for "neutral" countries anyhow. It's a bit of a cop out, and pretty cowardly, if you ask me.

• Reply 4 of 243
    sflocalsflocal Posts: 6,092member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by AppleInsider View Post

According to an unnamed source working on Ive's team...

I flat-out do not believe someone on Ive's team would disclose something like that.  If so, I hope that guy is fired on the spot.

Unless it comes out of Ive's mouth directly, I say BS.

• Reply 5 of 243

Actually, I was there in the room when Jony said Switzerland will be in trouble .... and google and samsung will get f**** if they try to copy!

• Reply 6 of 243
    OK. If the NY Times does not want to quote, I'll have to do it.

"Switzerland is in deep doo-doo"
  • Reply 7 of 243
    slurpyslurpy Posts: 5,382member
    apple ][ wrote: »
    Woah! This is big!

Let's crush Switzerland! Apple will lead the way! I never did care much for "neutral" countries anyhow. It's a bit of a cop out, and pretty cowardly, if you ask me.

Yeah see, the thing is, noone fucking asked you. Quite pathetic how you feel the need to inject your vitriolic brand of politics and xenophobia into absolutely everything. Do us a favor and keep that useless vomit to yourself.
  • Reply 8 of 243
    rogifanrogifan Posts: 10,669member
    I call BS on this. No no from his design team would ever leak squat. Heck, Ive said last year the he'd love to show us what he's working on but would be fired if he did so. Somebody leaking BS to either make Apple look arrogant (great click bait for tech sites and the likes of Business Insider) and/or completely hype a rumored wearable device to something that Apple could never live up to.
  • Reply 9 of 243
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Apple ][ View Post

Woah! This is big!

Does Ive ever comment on anything, especially on something that is not released yet?

If Jony Ive is saying something to the effect that the entire country of Switzerland is in trouble, then this sounds freaking awesome! The iWatch will be huge!

They're not 'neutral.' They are isolationist. That much Nazi gold in your bankers' vaults will drive you there.

• Reply 10 of 243

While Im hoping for the best, if the comments are true(big if) this sets expectations so high... watches are so personnel in terms of taste, functions etc, seems hard to imagine that an iwatch(or whatever it is called) would upset a whole industry; but I did not imagine an iphone, ipod, ipad, retina MBP, mac pro etc...so what do I know... jack @#$%. :)

• Reply 11 of 243
    gtrgtr Posts: 3,231member
    If Apple botches the iWatch launch somebody'll be getting a slap on the wrist...
  • Reply 12 of 243
    paxmanpaxman Posts: 4,729member
    Maybe he was referring to the hype, saying that if the alleged iPhone lived up to the hype, then ...

I am skeptical to this report. First off JI would not say any such thing in earnest, and secondly I just can't see an iWatch competing with traditional watches, which few people even wear these days.
  • Reply 13 of 243
    apple ][apple ][ Posts: 9,233member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Slurpy View Post

Yeah see, the thing is, noone fucking asked you. Quite pathetic how you feel the need to inject your vitriolic brand of politics and xenophobia into absolutely everything. Do us a favor and keep that useless vomit to yourself.

Do you do anything besides whine about my posts on this forum?

Isn't there like an ignore function or something that you can use, if it bothers you that much? It might help save you from further frustration.

• Reply 14 of 243
    A bit of hubris Johnny ...

I remember a story from my youth where the US was fixated on outdoing watches made in Switzerland ...

As the story goes American technology produced a golden wire as fine as a human hair. Gloating, they sent it to the Swiss along with a message saying: "What do you think of this?"

Before long, the package was returned with a note that said: "Look at this closely."

Examination under a microscope showed that the Swiss had drilled a hole through the fine wire ... Lengthwise!
  • Reply 15 of 243
    gtrgtr Posts: 3,231member
    slurpy wrote: »

Steady on.

He has as much right to express his opinions/views as any of us.
  • Reply 16 of 243
    boredumbboredumb Posts: 1,418member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by sflocal View Post

Quote:
    Originally Posted by AppleInsider View Post

According to an unnamed source working on Ive's team...

I flat-out do not believe someone on Ive's team would disclose something like that.  If so, I hope that guy is fired on the spot.

"Fired on the spot??!?!?"

If it did come directly from Ive's mouth, would you want him fired too?

If they live here in the US especially, I'd like to see neither of them fired...

But really, does anyone seriously believe it was said, in the first place?

• Reply 17 of 243
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Dick Applebaum View Post

A bit of hubris Johnny ...

I remember a story from my youth where the US was fixated on outdoing watches made in Switzerland ...

As the story goes American technology produced a golden wire as fine as a human hair. Gloating, they sent it to the Swiss along with a message saying: "What do you think of this?"

Before long, the package was returned with a note that said: "Look at this closely."

Examination under a microscope showed that the Swiss had drilled a hole through the fine wire ... Lengthwise!

Oh yea... tell that to theses guys-

http://www.najet.com/

Just joshing... ;)  I remember hearing a version of the story also (But from Germany, my family is of german ancestry).

• Reply 18 of 243
    Then, in my teens, Gruen was a make of good quality watches ...

A popular slogan of the time was: "According to my watch, it's 9:00 PM -- It's Gruen time!"
  • Reply 19 of 243

Cook has certainly doubled down on the security surrounding the iWatch. Not one single leaked photo or anything. The iPhone 6 on the other hand.....

• Reply 20 of 243
    solipsismxsolipsismx Posts: 19,566member
    sflocal wrote: »

On the one hand I agree with you about Ive or his team stating to such a thing to anyone not developing the device directly. On the other, I don't think Ive or Apple would be happy with anything that they didn't think wasn't going to be disruptive which is why I think that Ive would definitely say that, assuming there is an Apple wrist-worn device announced next week.