Apple reportedly in talks with Nordstrom over mobile payment partnership

124»

Comments

• Reply 61 of 65
    Quote:

Originally Posted by SolipsismX View Post

MC, Visa and Amex supporting NFC? Pretty good but that's still just the backend and not the retailer outlets which are needed to really bring it from being a novelty into the mainstream.

Nordstrome supporting NFC? That's good, it's a retail store, but it's not really a huge win for the tech.

McDonald's supporting NFC? Now that's a win for the infrastructure and ecosystem of the tech.

Interesting timing...

• Reply 62 of 65
    Quote:

Originally Posted by mpantone View Post

Quote:
    Originally Posted by YvesVilleneuve View Post

Maybe, unless it was an intended leak, meaning not a false rumor. To be honest, I don't follow how Apple announces things but launching at 1 billion accounts has more impact than launching at 900 million accounts. The blogger's assertion does appear to be reasonable.

Again, there aren't 1 billion iPhone users. 

Plus, one can create an iTunes account with no money. You are not required to have a credit card to set one up. A billion iTunes accounts does not equal a billion mobile payment system users.

More interesting is the number of iTunes accounts with linked credit cards, the revenue for those particular accounts and cardholder demographics. That's probably highly confidential information.

The blogger's assertion does not address any of those factors.

Do I have a credit card linked to my iTunes account? Sure. When was the last time an iTunes/App Store charge hit that credit card? I forget, over three years ago at least. I fund my iTunes account with discounted iTunes gift cards (I usually wait for 25% or 30% discounted cards). That's the smart way to fund iTunes/App Store purchases.

Nope. Tim Cook said that most of the 800 million iTunes accounts had credit cards attached.

• Reply 63 of 65
    Quote:

Originally Posted by SockRolid View Post

Hmmm. So maybe that "mystery building" outside Flint Center in Cupertino is a pop-up Nordstroms. Or Walgreen's. Or Starbucks. Or all three. And tech journalists will be the first to wave their (demo) iPhones to (pretend to) buy things on September 9th.

I was hoping it was a HomeKit demonstration, with a mocked-up house. But I think an Apple contactless payment system will have far more impact on the general public. Home automation has been around for decades, and it's just not all that exciting. Contactless payment is revolutionary (in the US anyway.)

Popup Starbucks.

Tim Cook will FaceTime Steve Jobs in heaven, and get him to order 2,000 lattes for real!

• Reply 64 of 65
    now the question is how quickly will the payment infrastructure get set up everywhere to render the iphone 6's mobile payment feature practical/useful
  • Reply 65 of 65
    truffol wrote: »
    now the question is how quickly will the payment infrastructure get set up everywhere to render the iphone 6's mobile payment feature practical/useful

Not long. For Apple, it's a trifle, Truffol.