Rumor: Apple's 'iPhone 6' event may feature U2 tie-in

Posted:
in iPhone edited September 2015
Bits of circumstantial evidence set the Apple rumor mill churning on Wednesday, with reports hinting U2 is somehow connected with the company's Sept. 9 media event expected to bring word of a new iPhone lineup.

As discovered by The Sunday Times, the rock band closed down Samuel Beckett Bridge in Dublin, Ireland last week to shoot a video some suggest ties in with Apple's iPhone media event.

Music promoter Stephen Browne managed to sneak a blurry-cam photo of the scene, saying on Twitter, "Looks like @U2 new album maybe preloaded on to iPhone6. The focus of the 'video' on the bridge last week was a phone." Seen above, the picture does appear to show a phone, though the "evidence" is anything but conclusive.

With the "iPhone 6" expected to be a highlight of next week's gathering, rumblings out of Dublin claim Apple will preload U2's upcoming album on one or more handset models, a move that would be unprecedented for a company intent on keeping "bloatware" down to a minimum.

Another rumor from Twitter came from CNET reporter Shara Tibken, who heard tell that U2 frontman Bono might make a special appearance at the Sept. 9 event, possibly as a performer. It has been speculated that a two-story structure Apple built outside of Flint Center -- the Sept. 9 event cite -- could serve as an impromptu stage for such a show.

Aside from being a friend of late Apple cofounder Steve Jobs and current SVP of Design Jony Ive, Bono has worked with the company through the (RED) initiative to fight AIDS. As of June, Apple has raised some $75 million for the worldwide charity by selling branded (RED) iPods and accessories.

Late last year, Ive joined forces with designer Marc Newson to auction off (RED)-themed items, including a one-of-a-kind Mac Pro that sold $977,000. Bono even had a hand in designing a pair of gold EarPods.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 64

Hopefully, not to sing "I Still Haven't Found What I'm Looking For."

• Reply 2 of 64
    See? Where would Apple be without Jimmy Iovine? /s
  • Reply 3 of 64
    This makes sense...if Apple uses it to launch their jump into the HD Audio era. Launch a range of Lighning-equipped Beats headphones on the same day, preload an ALAC version of the new U2 album, and then laugh as the rest of the companies whimper and fall even further behind. $200 a share by December? :D
  • Reply 4 of 64

Preloaded exclusively on the iPhone 5.5-inch.

As punishment.

• Reply 5 of 64
    jakebjakeb Posts: 562member

UGH. Please let this not be true. 

No better way to say you're "hip with the kids" than to pre-load some U2 on their phones. 

They can't be this dumb. I don't believe it. Jimmy Iovine would quit in protest.

• Reply 6 of 64
    gwmacgwmac Posts: 1,807member

U2 are so 1980's and 90's. I would much rather see someone more relevant from this decade. 

• Reply 7 of 64

I don't think they would ever preload an album. Makes no sense. But what could make sense is U2 as a featured artist with a new hi-definition format in iTunes. That would actually make a LOT of sense moving forward to differentiate purchased iTunes content from lower bandwidth streaming content.  Then the Beats deal starts to make more sense. Yes, a Lightning cable could send a whole lot more information to a headset than 3.5mm stereo and be processed on the headset for absolutely intense audio.

• Reply 8 of 64
    Maybe a U2 music video was shot with the new iPhone 6 camera?
  • Reply 9 of 64
    gwmac wrote: »
    U2 are so 1980's and 90's. I would much rather see someone more relevant from this decade. 

This decade is littered with trash talent.
  • Reply 10 of 64
    apple ][apple ][ Posts: 9,233member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by mdriftmeyer View Post

This decade is littered with trash talent.

You got that right!

• Reply 11 of 64
    I agree that they aren't likely to preload an album, but a code to get it free inside each iphone sure. A talk about Project (Red) and a video, yep. U2 being they losing band, why not
  • Reply 12 of 64
    gwmac wrote: »

Yaoband. They love their ipads and they have a connection with Apple from being featured in a Verse story
  • Reply 13 of 64
    Quote:

Originally Posted by charlituna View Post

Yaoband. They love their ipads and they have a connection with Apple from being featured in a Verse story

Nah.

Just because somebody uses an iPad to make music with, doesn't necessarily mean that the music is good.

I saw that commercial, and it was ok, but I can't exactly say that I remember the song. 

• Reply 14 of 64
    apple ][ wrote: »
    Nah.

Just because somebody uses an iPad to make music with, doesn't necessarily mean that the music is good.

I saw that commercial, and it was ok, but I can't exactly say that I remember the song. 

They're not very good, TBH. But the speculation about the building being a stage is very likely, IMO. In fact, since the 30 days of iTunes music festival is going on right now, would the event ending at noon PST allow for a big act like U2 to live stream afterward and fit into the current schedule?
  • Reply 15 of 64
    pscooter63 wrote: »
    Hopefully, not to sing "I Still Haven't Found What I'm Looking For."

1) And not "Where the Streets Have No Name" if they are going to talk about Maps.

2) I could see "Beautiful," "One," "All I Want Is You," or "Pride"
  • Reply 16 of 64
    jakeb wrote: »
    Jimmy Iovine would quit in protest.

Would he?

• Reply 17 of 64
    Quote:

Originally Posted by SpamSandwich View Post

But the speculation about the building being a stage is very likely, IMO. 

I agree. I can see this U2 rumor being true, and that "mysterious" building is in fact some sort of stage I think.

• Reply 18 of 64
    I just looked up the top selling albums first week of sales and none of them have cracked 3 million.

If U2 did come pre-loaded, or with a voucher, then they would instantly smash all music records in the first weekend. It would make Jay-Z's deal with Samsung look even more pathetic than it was.
  • Reply 19 of 64
    Quote:

Originally Posted by SolipsismX View Post

Would he?

He's produced a few different U2 albums.

I've voiced my skepticism a few times in the past about "Beats", but there's no doubting that Iovine has produced a whole ton of famous artists before.

• Reply 20 of 64
    slurpyslurpy Posts: 5,384member

There's no way in hell Apple is going to preload any songs on their new iPhones, considering that hey KNOW the infinite variety of tastes of their consumers. Maybe they'll include an iTunes code you can redeem for a free album, which is fine by me.