Line forms at 5th Ave. Apple Store 6 days ahead of expected iPhone announcement [u]

13

Comments

  • Reply 41 of 76
    comleycomley Posts: 139member
    ;-)
  • Reply 42 of 76
    So what's to keep Samsung (or whoever) from hiring people to start these lines and then sound like blithering idiots for TV interviews, to make Apple fans look bad?

    Other than that, mellow out, you guys. It's a festive occasion, for people who share your interests. ComicCon and Sci-Fi conventions and whatnot look silly to those who aren't interested—sort of like sporting events to me. Let people have their hobbies!
  • Reply 43 of 76
    Quote:

    Originally Posted by hill60 View Post





    So go line up for a Note 4, which was just announced...



    ...oh, hang on Samsung didn't give a release date.

     

    ...or a price.

  • Reply 44 of 76
    Originally Posted by Mac-sochist View Post

    So what's to keep Samsung (or whoever) from hiring people to start these lines and then sound like blithering idiots for TV interviews, to make Apple fans look bad?



    Nothing.

     

    ComicCon and Sci-Fi conventions and whatnot look silly to those who aren't interested—sort of like sporting events to me. Let people have their hobbies!


     

    Speaking of dressing up and Apple, I have a pair of Levi 501s, a black mock turtleneck, and a pair of New Balance tennis shoes that I always used to wear whenever I had to give a presentation. I don’t think anyone ever caught on.

  • Reply 45 of 76
    These guys are not in line to buy something. They're there to sell something.

    Not that I really mind all the attention that Apple gets as a result of something harmless like this, but I think the more interesting story might be: why do media saps fall for it every time, like Pavlovian dogs!?
  • Reply 46 of 76
    apple ][apple ][ Posts: 8,688member
    Quote:

    Originally Posted by anantksundaram View Post



    These guys are not in line to buy something. They're there to sell something.

     

    Yes, sometimes the very first ones on line are there for promotional purposes to promote their company or website or whatever.

     

    They're also the ones who will buy somebody else's place in line for a thousand or more, simply so that some media will write about and mention their company, so they get free publicity.

  • Reply 47 of 76
    Quote:


    Update: The four people currently lined up in front of the Fifth Avenue Apple Store are not waiting with the sole intent of buying an unannounced Apple device, but instead to promote websites, AppleInsider has learned.


     

    So, shouldn't this story be deleted, since the title and initial story are false? At the very least change the title, so people don't click on it expecting to read about people camping out to buy iPhone 6's?

  • Reply 48 of 76
    moxom wrote: »
    Someone needs to tell them the difference between announcement and release...

    They're queuing up for a device that hasn't even been announced and that they won't even get for at least another 10 days.

    :rolleyes:

    They are queuing up for publicity and a paycheck. Also they are doing it 19days to beat the 18 day record. It is all for show and their websites / health app.
  • Reply 49 of 76
    adonissmuadonissmu Posts: 1,772member
    Quote:

    Originally Posted by mesomorphicman View Post

     

     

    So, shouldn't this story be deleted, since the title and initial story are false? At the very least change the title, so people don't click on it expecting to read about people camping out to buy iPhone 6's?


    the fact that it has two pages means that this will stay as it generates clicks which generate money to keep this site running.

  • Reply 50 of 76
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by pazuzu View Post



    This so stopped being cute years ago and not something to be admired and gives everyone a reason to mock Apple fans. This only made sense when you couldn't buy online.



    It's never been about being cute.

     

    It's always been about Apple customers wanting Apple products and wanting to get them as soon as possible once they're available. It's also about a little simple comaraderie with others of like persuasion. It's not unlike standing in line for tickets for a concert.

     

    Sure, it may be morphing into a publicity stunt here and there, but once hundreds start lining up—AGAIN—it's about a simple event—made up of people of many stripes and reasons getting together peacefully and patiently for a simple common purpose.

     

    It's the kind of phenomenon very few other companies thoughout history have been able to inspire.

     

    We who "get it" like to wait in line if we have the time. Those who don't can only jeer and criticize. But we just keep smiling, if only inside, about the prospects of getting our hands on another new Apple product which is going to make our lives that much better.

  • Reply 51 of 76
    Cue the Samsung ads!
  • Reply 52 of 76
    dasanman69dasanman69 Posts: 12,985member
    danielsw wrote: »

    It's never been about being cute.

    It's always been about Apple customers wanting Apple products and wanting to get them as soon as possible once they're available. It's also about a little simple comaraderie with others of like persuasion. It's not unlike standing in line for tickets for a concert.

    Sure, it may be morphing into a publicity stunt here and there, but once hundreds start lining up—AGAIN—it's about a simple event—made up of people of many stripes and reasons getting together peacefully for a simple common purpose.

    It's the kind of phenomenon very few other companies thoughout history have been able to inspire.

    We who "get it" like to wait in line if we have the time. Those who don't can only jeer and criticize. But we just keep smiling, if only inside, about the prospects of getting our hands on another new Apple product which is going to make our lives that much better.

    Comaraderie wise it made more sense pre-iPhone. It wasn't obvious who were fellow Mac owners, but now with people constantly on their phones it's easy to tell who has an iPhone.
  • Reply 53 of 76
    roakeroake Posts: 652member

    Retarded.  Sorry.  I have trouble imagining a situation where I have so little to do that spending a week sitting in front of store would sound like a good idea.  And for what?  to order the iPhone?  I think the new iPhones will actually be available on the 19th.  Maybe the 5th Ave. store will hand out cookies.  Or, just maybe, they are getting a little cash from Apple to help generate some buzz.

  • Reply 54 of 76
    apple ][apple ][ Posts: 8,688member
    Quote:

    Originally Posted by Roake View Post

     

    Or, just maybe, they are getting a little cash from Apple to help generate some buzz.


     

    Haha. Do you really think that Apple needs to pay anybody to wait?

     

    That is the most unlikely and laughable conspiracy theory ever.

     

    Now, if we were talking about Samsung.....................

  • Reply 55 of 76
    chris_cachris_ca Posts: 2,543member
    jamesmcd wrote: »
    Good god people. I'll just walk into the store the day it's released and buy one thanks.
    Except you likely won't be able to do so.
  • Reply 56 of 76
    Quote:

    Originally Posted by Chris_CA View Post





    Except you likely won't be able to do so.

    O ye of little faith. Two advantages living in New Zealand. Ahead of everyone else in terms of timezone, and relatively easy launch queues

  • Reply 57 of 76
    So, shouldn't this story be deleted, since the title and initial story are false? At the very least change the title, so people don't click on it expecting to read about people camping out to buy iPhone 6's?

    Retractions and apologies do not exist in this dojo.
  • Reply 58 of 76
    hill60hill60 Posts: 6,992member
    jamesmcd wrote: »
    O ye of little faith. Two advantages living in New Zealand. Ahead of everyone else in terms of timezone, and relatively easy launch queues

    People fly over to Australia because we are usually the first, New Zealand is usually in the second batch of countries.
  • Reply 59 of 76
    Quote:

    Originally Posted by hill60 View Post





    People fly over to Australia because we are usually the first, New Zealand is usually in the second batch of countries.

     

    Can't say I've heard of anyone doing that, and it's not true anyway. In recent years NZ is typically the first when it's a worldwide midnight release. 

  • Reply 60 of 76
    Quote:

    Originally Posted by jamesmcd View Post

     

    O ye of little faith. Two advantages living in New Zealand. Ahead of everyone else in terms of timezone, and relatively easy launch queues


     

    O ye of little cognizance! I'm not sure you noticed, but the 5th Ave. Apple Store is in USA, not New Zealand. Obviously you cannot stroll into the shop on launch day and expect to buy one, so obviously they are lining up there.

     

    Just because you can walk into a store in New Zealand to buy one, doesn't mean it is the same everywhere.

Sign In or Register to comment.