Line forms at 5th Ave. Apple Store 6 days ahead of expected iPhone announcement [u]

124»

Comments

• Reply 61 of 76
    hill60hill60 Posts: 6,992member
    jamesmcd wrote: »
    Can't say I've heard of anyone doing that, and it's not true anyway. In recent years NZ is typically the first when it's a worldwide midnight release. 

I picked up my 5s in Sydney Australia on the 20th of September, five weeks before it launched in New Zealand.

Posted pics here so the Americans could have something to look at when they woke up.
  • Reply 62 of 76
    dunksdunks Posts: 1,254member

I hope all media coverage redacts any images of opportunistic branding if only to thwart this kind of cultural hijacking.

• Reply 63 of 76
    hill60 wrote: »
    Posted pics here so the Americans could have something to look at when they woke up.

And we thanked you for it (you did resolve the issue of uploading to this site from an iPad, so cheers for that as well)
  • Reply 64 of 76
    Mmmmmmm
    Let's tilt the mirror a bit
    Take a good look
    Now
    What kind of ________ers
    Have the time to bitch and moan about
    People waiting in line for fun or profit?

Besides me of course
    It's my job to be a party poop.
  • Reply 65 of 76
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Bwana_Dik View Post

It's a tradition...for losers who have no life.  I'm planning on getting one to replace my 4S, but I'm fine getting mine a few days or weeks after the rollout.  Rumor has it the ones purchased in week two will be pretty much just like those purchased by those who have a week to kill sitting outside an Apple store.

Passion is great, when it's directed at something meaningful.  This isn't passion; it's silliness.

Absolutely this. Been with the iPhone since the 3g. Never stood in line but sometimes preordered. When the 5 came out, I waited a couple of months until the supply issues subsided, any tech issues, etc. Due for an upgrade but will probably wait until after the holidays. I'm actually more interested in iOS8, but the new hardware will be a nice post-Christmas present to myself.

• Reply 66 of 76
    zoetmbzoetmb Posts: 2,654member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by JohnL View Post

Samesung is going to have to pay big to copy this.

Actually, Samsung can use this against Apple.   Imagine a spot that says, "let's see all the people who desperately want the new iPhone" which then shows a line of only four people.  

• Reply 67 of 76
    jfc1138jfc1138 Posts: 3,090member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Roake View Post

Retarded.  Sorry.  I have trouble imagining a situation where I have so little to do that spending a week sitting in front of store would sound like a good idea.  And for what?  to order the iPhone?  I think the new iPhones will actually be available on the 19th.  Maybe the 5th Ave. store will hand out cookies.  Or, just maybe, they are getting a little cash from Apple to help generate some buzz.

Not at all: a paying job.

https://www.taskrabbit.com

Though the guys in the phone resell t-shirts are promotional employees rather than line-siters.

• Reply 68 of 76
    Quote:

Originally Posted by hill60 View Post

Quote:

Originally Posted by jamesmcd View Post

O ye of little faith. Two advantages living in New Zealand. Ahead of everyone else in terms of timezone, and relatively easy launch queues

People fly over to Australia because we are usually the first, New Zealand is usually in the second batch of countries.

Time starts at the bottom of the world. ????

• Reply 69 of 76
    would be funny if then Apple announces on 9/9 that they won't ship new iPhones for another two weeks
  • Reply 70 of 76
    Originally Posted by Truffol View Post

would be funny if then Apple announces on 9/9 that they won't ship new iPhones for another two weeks

Literally no one expects them to launch on the 9th. The 19th is most likely.

• Reply 71 of 76
    Why are they lining up for the announcement? It's not out till the week after the announcement.
  • Reply 72 of 76
    jfc1138jfc1138 Posts: 3,090member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by GeorgeiP5 View Post

Why are they lining up for the announcement? It's not out till the week after the announcement.

At least the initial people are paid promoters taking advantage of the Apple pre-announcement hype.

• Reply 73 of 76
    pazuzupazuzu Posts: 1,728member
    Most are sponsor paid and resellers.
    Bogus.
  • Reply 74 of 76
    Originally Posted by pazuzu View Post

Bogus.

Fake. Apple’s not actually having an announcement at all.

• Reply 75 of 76

Fake. Apple’s not actually having an announcement at all.

Tim: "This is all just a big misunderstanding, There is no event. Go home!"
  • Reply 76 of 76
    Originally Posted by SpamSandwich View Post

Tim: "This is all just a big misunderstanding, There is no event. Go home!"

“We wish we could say more, but we can’t. Later!”