Rumor: Apple's 'iPhone 6' event may feature U2 tie-in

Comments

• Reply 21 of 64
    Yo Apple, I really like you too, just not the band.
  • Reply 22 of 64
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Apple ][ View Post

Nah.

Just because somebody uses an iPad to make music with, doesn't necessarily mean that the music is good.

I saw that commercial, and it was ok, but I can't exactly say that I remember the song. 

Good is rather subjective. A lot of folks might say that Coldplay's stuff isn't good. Or even U2

• Reply 23 of 64
    apple ][apple ][ Posts: 9,233member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by charlituna View Post

Good is rather subjective.

Totally agree.

• Reply 24 of 64
    sockrolidsockrolid Posts: 2,789member

Originally Posted by AppleInsider View Post

"... The focus of the 'video' on the bridge last week was a phone."

Or maybe it's an iPod Air U2 Special Edition.  

There was an iPod U2 Special Edition way back in '06.

• Reply 25 of 64
    Originally Posted by AppleInsider View Post

...saying on Twitter, “Looks like @U2 new album maybe preloaded on to iPhone6.

Nope.

• Reply 26 of 64
    asciiascii Posts: 5,936member

They would't be involved in an iPhone launch, because it's not specifically a music device. Either:

- The new iWatch is going to be called the iPod Band (or something like that) and they are involved because it's the iPod again

- There is some new music app that Apple is launching, that they will endorse

- It is some kind of AIDS charity thing

• Reply 27 of 64
    I'm a u2 fan and treasure my defunct u2 ipod. In their defence, u2 did very well in the 00's with 2 out of 3 albums doing very well and their last tour pulled massive numbers. Plus flagship iphones might not be for the hip crowd but older people who might not mind acts like u2. Beats are there for the street cred and I think a better conceived/priced version of the iphone 5c would do better with the price conscious teens out there currently buying samsungs especially when you consider most of us outside of the us pay much ore up front for our iphones than the US.
  • Reply 28 of 64
    gtrgtr Posts: 3,231member
    Maybe the band is not there for the iPhone part of the event:

iWatchU2.
  • Reply 29 of 64
    you can get an awesome trade in on your current iPhone when buying an iPhone 6 here http://bit.ly/iphone6tradein
  • Reply 30 of 64
    trumptmantrumptman Posts: 16,464member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by mdriftmeyer View Post

Quote:

Originally Posted by gwmac View Post

U2 are so 1980's and 90's. I would much rather see someone more relevant from this decade. 

This decade is littered with trash talent.

Every decade is littered with trash talent and a few gems. Anyone who thinks different should go tell the kids to get off their lawn and start ordering their casket.

Quote:

Originally Posted by gwmac View Post

U2 are so 1980's and 90's. I would much rather see someone more relevant from this decade. 

Agreed.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Apple ][ View Post

Quote:
    Originally Posted by SolipsismX View Post

Would he?

He's produced a few different U2 albums.

I've voiced my skepticism a few times in the past about "Beats", but there's no doubting that Iovine has produced a whole ton of famous artists before.

Beats is a marketing machine. Apple could use a bit of an updated or at a minimum reinvigorated approach there. Color and curves didn't used to be banished from Apple.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Slurpy View Post

There's no way in hell Apple is going to preload any songs on their new iPhones, considering that hey KNOW the infinite variety of tastes of their consumers. Maybe they'll include an iTunes code you can redeem for a free album, which is fine by me. 

Maybe they'll unveil a much improved streaming solution because Steve Jobs was wrong apparently and only old people want to own their music. The kids think streaming is just fine and dandy.

• Reply 31 of 64

Originally Posted by jakeb View Post

No better way to say you're "hip with the kids" than to pre-load some U2 on their phones. 

They can't be this dumb. I don't believe it. Jimmy Iovine would quit in protest.

They could do a funny and informative rap song...

• Reply 32 of 64
    gwmac wrote: »

As was the '80s and '90s. The last great music stopped circa 1978.
  • Reply 33 of 64
    dasanman69dasanman69 Posts: 13,002member

I would say misguided talent.
  • Reply 34 of 64
    asdasdasdasd Posts: 5,686member
    Even the kids think the 00's were crap. And now we are in the second decade of this century. Probably what's killing music is downloads.

Jimmy Iovine produced U2. More than once. He was their biggest US champion in the early days. Now as an Apple exec he can call them up.

I doubt the pre-load. It's possible that the iPhone 6 comes with a voucher for the album. Or part of the cost. It may not be ready so that might just be a single. Who knows.

The point of hiring Iovine is contacts. Expect that Dr Dre and other hip hop artists are going to be on iTunes or given away with iPhones on the future.

It could even be new headphones. Headphones with iPod software ( not iOS but nano) embedded. And U2 and some artist cool with the kids embedded.
  • Reply 35 of 64
    asdasdasdasd Posts: 5,686member
    Iovine produced U2 as far back as 1983 when they were largely unknown in the US outside college radio.
  • Reply 36 of 64

If there were a single thing that would turn me from the next iPhone (there isn't, but if there were), the continued association with an arrogant, sanctimonious, self-righteous waste of air such as Bono would be it.

• Reply 38 of 64
    You will get a voucher for U2's new album with the purchase of Beats lightning headphones or Beats Product Red headphones.
    The white building is not a stage.
  • Reply 39 of 64
    rogifanrogifan Posts: 10,669member
    You will get a voucher for U2's new album with the purchase of Beats lightning headphones or Beats Product Red headphones.
    The white building is not a stage.
    http://www.independent.ie/irish-news/u2-quash-iphone6-rumours-30561793.html
  • Reply 40 of 64
    jlanddjlandd Posts: 873member
    rogifan wrote: »

Glad for that. It wouldn't have surprised me, just disappointed me.