Exclusive aerial footage of Apple's mysterious white box next to 'iPhone 6' event site

Comments

• Reply 41 of 104
    Basketball court/exercise something to show off health apps and trackers? Especially if the watch is shown. Like what Kobe recently did with Nike in China with a smart basketball court? There were previous photos of him on Apple's campus meeting with Tim Cook.
  • Reply 42 of 104

It's hard for me to believe that they would go to the effort to build this huge structure just to act as a concert venue.

That they chose the Flint center - really the place where the first revolution in personal computers was unveiled - must mean something.  There are many venues in the bay area capable of accommodating a lot of people; the fact that Apple chose this one must have some symbolic value above and beyond simply accommodating a larger crowd.  And in that context, it simply makes no sense that Apple would be building nothing more than a stage out there.

Personally, I think Apple chose the Flint center because of its historical significance; it is where the Mac was unveiled.  I think they are signaling that they think they are about to unveil something of similar significance to the company, and perhaps to the industry.  And in that context, it is very hard to believe that the structure they are building is not in some way related.

• Reply 43 of 104
    Originally Posted by SpamSandwich View Post

How will I know how HomeKit will fit into my particular lifestyle?

Given that you and Jony have the same taste in homes, I bet Apple’s offering will be right up your... well, alley. Literally.

• Reply 44 of 104

Ive's drinking a St. Ides
  • Reply 45 of 104

Fashion show?  Apple Wearables new store/retail motif?  Copy of what I posted elsewhere in AI:

-----------------------------

Things that can make 9/9 truly earthshaking (in the context of the ongoing Apple narrative/mythology)

1. Take "One More Thing" out of mothballs to intro the iWatch. And have a realistic holo-animation of Steve Jobs (produced by Pixar, of course!) say it.

2. iWatch is in a pouch on a pedestal right where MacIntosh first sat.

3. Debut the first iWatch ad. Directed by Ridley Scott with production values befitting a superbowl ad.

4. In the usual design back story video, Jony relates how Healthkit and the health monitoring aspects of iWatch were first conceived of by Steve as he was going through cancer treatment. (Of course I don't know if that's true, but given the typical timeframe of Apple new product development, could well be the case.)

5. Apple debuts a high style/ high tech retailing sub-brand for Apple wearables which will fully exploit the talent, knowhow and contacts/relationships that Angela Ahrendts honed as Burberry CEO.

6. Supermodels to demo the new product! Male and female, for equal opportunity objectification.

Okay, it's totally uninhibited speculation, but Eddie Cue did say the biggest in 25 years. That means bigger than anything during the Second Age of Steve. Eddie just might have exaggerated a little bit.

• Reply 46 of 104
    antkm1antkm1 Posts: 1,441member

you know there is a way AI or any tech bloggers out there could obtain data regarding what Apple is building there.  If Apple's even responsible at all for the Builidng.  Couple things occurred to me:

1. Building permits and subsequent construction documents for city inspection and approval are public record, meaning anyone has the right to go look at them.  So if you were to speak to the right people at the City of Cupertino (code inspector or such), you could probably either gain access to the drawings or at least look at the permit.

2. There actually should be a building permit posted (by law) within view of a right-of-way too.  However this is an educational and there really isn't a close public road in clear view, so the permit might be in the window of the job trailer.

3. That all being said, the permit and/or the drawings might actually have very vague information, just enough to get the project approved for life safety and fire safety.  And the building on the drawings might even be described by Building class only.  Like if its an educational building, the building classification for fire code could be just an acronym..."I" for institutional and then a number designating it's fire classification.

4. there could also be meeting minutes for public approval for said building to be constructed.  Those minutes might be found on the City's website if they exist.

5. I wonder how long this building has been under construction?  Did it begin the day of the announcement or has it been under construction before that date?  If it's a permanent building, 2 weeks is not a lot of time for something that massive.  If it's just a stage or some temporary pavilion, then fine...i can see that.  But since no one knew they were holding the event at Flint Center prior to last week, I wonder if the building has been under construction longer?  Anyone know anyone who goes to this school or works there that knows how long this building has been there?

6. what if this building is not even connected to Apple?  I doubt that's the case or what if it's something that's meant for the campus and Apple is just financing it?

• Reply 47 of 104
    Awesome!! Somebody last week made the comment about flying a drone overtop, way to go! I LOVE IT!!!! Have you gotten a knock on your door yet telling you to take the video down?
    Question, where in the hell do people park to attend????
  • Reply 48 of 104
    paul94544paul94544 Posts: 1,027member

yeah, I foresee life size models of SJ, at each Apple store, welcoming each customer, and showing you his iWatch and going this is really cool!

• Reply 49 of 104

I think apple needs better paparazzi, if it was for carplay shouldn't we be seeing some wheeled vehicle being pushed in? Has anyone from apple actually been spotted at this site, or is it just one guard saying go talk to apple?  The timing seems very likely apple, but I hope people keep checking the site over the weekend as we get closer.

• Reply 50 of 104
    Quote:

Originally Posted by tundraboy View Post

Fashion show?  Apple Wearables new store/retail motif?  Copy of what I posted elsewhere in AI:

-----------------------------

Things that can make 9/9 truly earthshaking (in the context of the ongoing Apple narrative/mythology)

1. Take "One More Thing" out of mothballs to intro the iWatch. And have a realistic holo-animation of Steve Jobs (produced by Pixar, of course!) say it.

2. iWatch is in a pouch on a pedestal right where MacIntosh first sat.

3. Debut the first iWatch ad. Directed by Ridley Scott with production values befitting a superbowl ad.

4. In the usual design back story video, Jony relates how Healthkit and the health monitoring aspects of iWatch were first conceived of by Steve as he was going through cancer treatment. (Of course I don't know if that's true, but given the typical timeframe of Apple new product development, could well be the case.)

5. Apple debuts a high style/ high tech retailing sub-brand for Apple wearables which will fully exploit the talent, knowhow and contacts/relationships that Angela Ahrendts honed as Burberry CEO.

6. Supermodels to demo the new product! Male and female, for equal opportunity objectification.

Okay, it's totally uninhibited speculation, but Eddie Cue did say the biggest in 25 years. That means bigger than anything during the Second Age of Steve. Eddie just might have exaggerated a little bit.

I don't see an iWatch as being that "revolutionary" of a product to justify such hoopla.  But i'm also taking your words at face value

• Reply 51 of 104
    All of that may not apply, and I'm sure, at least by looking at it, it's a temporary structure.
  • Reply 52 of 104
    solipsismxsolipsismx Posts: 19,566member
    antkm1 wrote: »
    I don't see an iWatch as being that "revolutionary" of a product to justify such hoopla.

1) Why don't think a paradigm shifting product by Apple as it enters into a new product category a big deal?

2) Your comment is no different than those that said, "smartphones existed before the iPhone," and "tablets existed before the iPad" yet those new product categories for Apple changed everything.
  • Reply 53 of 104
    tundraboytundraboy Posts: 1,885member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by antkm1 View Post

I don't see an iWatch as being that "revolutionary" of a product to justify such hoopla.  But i'm also taking your words at face value

It could be if it's not just iWatch but a whole line of wearables and an infrastructure and ecosystem that realizes the so-called "quantified self".

I'm not claiming that it is revolutionary, it's more I'm speculating what it has to be or do if it is going to be revolutionary.  If by revolutionary, we mean it significantly changes (for the better, of course) our way of life then wearable tech has to do things like biometric monitoring that your physician can actually use to improve your care, payments and i.d. authentication that banishes that is convenient, safe, and reduces the risk of identity theft to virtually zero, etc.

Why does something of supposedly great utility need to be fashion intensive?  Because people do not like being told what to wear.  With smart wearables, you need to offer style to get people to buy them, then offer amazing function to get people to use and keep them.  Buy the style, keep the function.  

• Reply 54 of 104
    Originally Posted by Paul94544 View Post

yeah, I foresee life size models of SJ, at each Apple store, welcoming each customer, and showing you his iWatch and going this is really cool!

Oh, that’d be great. A fully articulated life size Steve Jobs robot that walks around the store showing off the products to people.

And calls you an idiot if you start using one incorrectly.

• Reply 55 of 104
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by SolipsismX View Post

1) Why don't think a paradigm shifting product by Apple as it enters into a new product category a big deal?

2) Your comment is no different than those that said, "smartphones existed before the iPhone," and "tablets existed before the iPad" yet those new product categories for Apple changed everything.

prepare yourself for disappointment come Tuesday.

personally, i don't think something i wear on my wrist as a revolutionary, life-changing device.  I stopped wearing watches 15 years ago  and unless it can read my thoughts, then it's not going to change my life.

• Reply 56 of 104
    Quote:

Originally Posted by tundraboy View Post

It could be if it's not just iWatch but a whole line of wearables and an infrastructure and ecosystem that realizes the so-called "quantified self".

I'm not claiming that it is revolutionary, it's more I'm speculating what it has to be or do if it is going to be revolutionary.  If by revolutionary, we mean it significantly changes (for the better, of course) our way of life then wearable tech has to do things like biometric monitoring that your physician can actually use to improve your care, payments and i.d. authentication that banishes that is convenient, safe, and reduces the risk of identity theft to virtually zero, etc.

Why does something of supposedly great utility need to be fashion intensive?  Because people do not like being told what to wear.  With smart wearables, you need to offer style to get people to buy them, then offer amazing function to get people to use and keep them.  Buy the style, keep the function.  

see my last reply.  I'd rather a wearable just disappear than have to attach it to my body, my skin.  Do you really think a consumer grade product is going to be able to give reliable and accurate biometric data that doctors can actually use?

• Reply 57 of 104
    tundraboytundraboy Posts: 1,885member
    Quote:

see my last reply.  I'd rather a wearable just disappear than have to attach it to my body, my skin.  Do you really think a consumer grade product is going to be able to give reliable and accurate biometric data that doctors can actually use?

I don't know.  Do you?

Now see my last reply too, where I said "I'm not claiming that it is revolutionary, it's more I'm speculating what it has to be or do if it is going to be revolutionary."  Okay, read that part again in the previous sentence that I placed in quotation marks and make sure you understand it.  I don't want you to waste your time and effort arguing against an assertion (that iWatch is going to be "revolutionary") that was never made.

• Reply 58 of 104
    solipsismxsolipsismx Posts: 19,566member
    antkm1 wrote: »

I don't need to prepare for anything because I have made any determination. I will decide what I will buy only after Apple details what they are offering.
    personally, i don't think something i wear on my wrist as a revolutionary, life-changing device.  I stopped wearing watches 15 years ago  and unless it can read my thoughts, then it's not going to change my life.

If you see it as just a watch you wore 15 years ago but with an Apple logo on it then you short-sightedness is understandable, albeit ridiculous.
  • Reply 59 of 104
    Quote:

Originally Posted by SolipsismX View Post

I don't need to prepare for anything because I have made any determination. I will decide what I will buy only after Apple details what they are offering.

If you see it as just a watch you wore 15 years ago but with an Apple logo on it then you short-sightedness is understandable, albeit ridiculous.

i will clarify by saying something (speculatively) that must be worn on my wrist is a thing of the past for me, regardless of its function.  I am not alone and fully understand that many people have no qualm with wrist worn devices...be it as simple as an analog timepiece or a pebble.

• Reply 60 of 104
    Quote:

Is this the first suggestion of a Failnote?

In years past we have occasionally started threads anticipating people's disappointment with the keynote (primarily because they didn't get exactly what they themselves wanted and because they know much better than Apple).  With such a big structure going up (and without knowing it is truly Apple's), should we start a thread this year?