Apple to hold live stream of Sept. 9 event, begins countdown on website

Posted:
in iPhone edited September 2014
With less than five days to go until Tim Cook takes the stage at the Flint Center in Cupertino, Apple has begun promoting the event --?at which the iPhone 6, iWatch, and perhaps second-generation iPad Air will be unveiled -- on its homepage with a countdown timer to the live stream.

"Live video from our special event will be right here," the page reads. "And so will a whole lot more." The company then implores users to tune in to "follow every moment" and provides a quick iCal-compatible shortcut to add the event to a calendar.

Apple announced the Sept. 9 event two weeks before it is to be held, an unusually long lead time that suggests it may view the announcements as significant. Apple generally gives journalists a one-week notice.

Additionally, rather than holding the press availability at its now-traditional venue -- the Yerba Buena Center for the Arts in San Francisco -- or its own on-campus theater, Apple chose to move to Cupertino's Flint Center. The Flint Center holds nearly 3,000 people, nearly three times as many as the much smaller Yerba Buena theater.

Adding fuel to the fire is Apple's construction of a large, two-story building on the grounds of the Flint Center. The building's purpose remains unknown, though many speculate that it will play host to an enhanced and enlarged version of the "hands on" area where the company traditionally allows journalists to fondle new products.

AppleInsider will be on hand at the Flint Center next Tuesday and will bring live coverage from inside the venue.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 46
    solipsismxsolipsismx Posts: 19,566member
    Considering all the additional effort Apple is putting into this event to get the widest possible coverage this news is unexpected, but I'm still glad to see they didn't wait until Monday to let us know.
  • Reply 2 of 46

Awesome! 8-)

• Reply 3 of 46

Good. This is how it should always be done. Allow anyone using anything to watch it.

• Reply 4 of 46

YYYYYEEEEESSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSS!!!!!

• Reply 5 of 46
    andysolandysol Posts: 2,506member
    Apple is making a bigger deal about this than any even in the recent past I can remember.

This is gonna be huge.
  • Reply 6 of 46
    If Apple does not impress me with something new and awesome especially after all their hype I am going to be flipping pissed.
  • Reply 7 of 46
    Tune in to "follow every moment"?

If there ever was any proof that apple was making a self driving car, this stumps them all. Or it could just be an electronic tail. Which could be equally as cool.

Question..would it have Touch ID?
  • Reply 8 of 46
    This has to be the new product categories that were promised. Has to be.
  • Reply 9 of 46
    mazda 3smazda 3s Posts: 1,613member

• Reply 10 of 46
    flaneurflaneur Posts: 4,526member
    Courageous, too. I've thought in the past they wanted to be able to edit out glitches, but they must be more confident now. Something big is in the works.
  • Reply 11 of 46

If I turn up to De Anza college on Tuesday is there any chance I'll be able to get in to see anything?

• Reply 12 of 46
    In thinking an iWatch, new iPhone(s) maybe an Apple TV too. Maybe even more category's we can't even imagine. What if apple released a pair of apple glasses? Mind=blown!

You heard it here first folks.
  • Reply 13 of 46
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Flaneur View Post

Courageous, too. I've thought in the past they wanted to be able to edit out glitches, but they must be more confident now. Something big is in the works.

They still edit it later. When Anki was shown at WWDC, the live stream showed the manager on stage had multiple issues with communications between the iPhone and the toy car. In the downloaded "podcast" version, that sequence is much shortened and it looks like just a few seconds of fussing before the device works. I remember being surprised at how long that guy took to get it to work - I completely understand that little glitches like that happen, especially with a brand new product, but it's just so rare to see at an Apple keynote.

On a different subject, AppleInsider's continued use of the phrase "fondle new products" is a little creepy.

• Reply 14 of 46
    flaneurflaneur Posts: 4,526member
    They still edit it later. When Anki was shown at WWDC, the live stream showed the manager on stage had multiple issues with communications between the iPhone and the toy car. In the downloaded "podcast" version, that sequence is much shortened and it looks like just a few seconds of fussing before the device works. I remember being surprised at how long that guy took to get it to work - I completely understand that little glitches like that happen, especially with a brand new product, but it's just so rare to see at an Apple keynote.

On a different subject, AppleInsider's continued use of the phrase "fondle new products" is a little creepy.

Aha, that explains the memory I have of that little car snafu. So that event was streamed live. I just read about the editing the other day. Memory serves after all, however pale and wan.

So are these events always live streamed?
  • Reply 15 of 46
    flaneur wrote: »

Samsung Electronics R&D will be holding a viewing party, taking copious notes. Afterwards, they'll high-five their newfound solution to their "crisis in design" for 2015.
  • Reply 16 of 46
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Flaneur View Post

Aha, that explains the memory I have of that little car snafu. So that event was streamed live. I just read about the editing the other day. Memory serves after all, however pale and wan.

They haven't been streamed 100% of the time, but they are quite often and it seems like more regularly as time goes on. I think the most unusual part is how much advertising they're putting out that it'll be a streamed event, and a big one. As Solipsism said, sometimes it's just a note the day before, or a link on their website that shows it'll be streamed. A countdown timer from 5 days beforehand really seems like they're trying to build hype.

• Reply 17 of 46

I can't recall so much hoopla over an introduction since Dean Kamen introduced the Segway.

Well, maybe.... but IT wasn't real.

http://southpark.cc.com/full-episodes/s05e11-the-entity

• Reply 18 of 46
    How they throw in 'fondle' and don't slide a 'dongle' in the same articles I'll never know.
    flaneur wrote: »
    I believe all iPhone events have been live streamed. At least since the iPhone 4 IIRC.
  • Reply 19 of 46

Buying popcorn now...

I promise to not eat it until the event...

• Reply 20 of 46
    mpantonempantone Posts: 2,040member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by dmsmith View Post

If I turn up to De Anza college on Tuesday is there any chance I'll be able to get in to see anything?

Highly improbable. It is an invitation-only event.

Heck, the venue isn't even large enough to accommodate all of Apple's employees based in Cupertino, let alone De Anza College students/faculty/staff and random looky-loos.

Knowing how Apple works, their PR department likely went into control freak mode to generate the guest list.