Apple's 'iWatch' has flexible sapphire screen & wireless charging, 'iPhone 6' to offer one-handed mo

Posted:
in Future Apple Hardware edited September 2014
As hype builds for Apple's Sept. 9 announcement, yet another report chimes in with alleged details, saying the company's wearable "iWatch" will sport a flexible screen and wireless charging, while the company's larger iPhone models will apparently offer a one-handed mode for ease of use.

Concept by Martin Hajek.

The details were attributed to unnamed "people knowledgeable about the product" in a Thursday report from The New York Times. Most interestingly, the report said the device will boast a flexible display panel protected by a cover made of sapphire.

In addition, Thursday's report claimed that the so-called "iWatch" will rely on a wireless charging method. It added that Apple tested solar charging for the device but couldn't get it to work.

Like other recent reports, it claimed that the so-called "iWatch" isn't likely to launch until next year, while pricing remains unknown.

Sources who spoke with the publication said Apple's wearable device is one of the company's "most ambitious projects to date." It's said to include advanced sensors that will track movements and vital signs, including heart rate, more accurately than any product currently on the market.

Alleged 4.7-inch and 5.5-inch iPhone 6 mockups with iPhone 5s. | Source: TechSmartt via YouTube

As for the so-called "iPhone 6," the report claims that the two new models sized 4.7 and 5.5 inches will come with updated software to accommodate for the larger displays. Specifically, it was said that an optional "one-handed mode" will be included to make it easier to type and control.

Both the new iPhone and "iWatch" are expected to be tightly integrated with one another, utilizing the new "Handoff" functionality of iOS 8 and OS X Yosemite. And both devices are also rumored to feature near-field communications technology for e-wallet mobile payment services.

The report from the Times comes on the heels of a separate story from The Wall Street Journal, published earlier Thursday, claiming that both Apple's "iPhone 6" and "iWatch" will include NFC functionality for mobile payments. That report also reaffirmed that the "iWatch" will apparently boast a curved OLED display.

It's been claimed that the wrist-worn device will come in two-different sizes, potentially intended for both men and women. Multiple recent reports have suggested the "iWatch" will miss the lucrative holiday shopping season, and will become available to customers in early 2015.

Customers likely won't have to wait that long for the new iPhones, though, as Apple is expected to make them available soon after the Sept. 9 event. If the company sticks to its usual release pattern, the "iPhone 6" will hit store shelves on Sept. 19, though there have been rumors that the 5.5-inch model could launch after the 4.7-inch variant due to alleged production issues.

All is expected to be revealed at Apple's media event next Tuesday, which kicks off at the Flint Center in Cupertino, Calif., at 10 a.m. Pacific, 1 p.m. Eastern. AppleInsider will be there live, and readers can get up-to-the-minute alerts with the official AppleInsider app for iPhone and iPad.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 100
    Double post, sorry
  • Reply 2 of 100

flexible sapphire screen?

sapphire thats flexible  hmmmm

• Reply 3 of 100
    Originally Posted by AppleInsider View Post

Specifically, it was said that an optional "one-handed mode" will be included to make it easier to type and control.

Yes, it’s called MAKING YOUR PHONE SMALL ENOUGH TO BE USED WITH ONE HAND. Enjoy looking like an idiot alongside the 5.5” Android user. The lack of plural is correct.

• Reply 4 of 100
    The NY Times is massively trolling Apple. They sure know what will get hits.
  • Reply 5 of 100
    solipsismxsolipsismx Posts: 19,566member
    I cannot confirm this, but all these "reports" today are apple-coordinated.

I don't think so. All these rumours do is bring disappointment when unrealistic things are stated that don't happen and kill the reveal when the things that are accurate get talked about days, weeks and months ahead of time. None of that helps Apple.
  • Reply 5 of 100
    It'd be so funny if the iwatch launched this quarter instead of Q1 2015.
  • Reply 7 of 100
    solipsismxsolipsismx Posts: 19,566member
    <h1 style="margin-bottom:15px;margin-top:0px;">flexible sapphire screen?</h1>

I assume they mean it uses a flexible display to create a curve which then has a sapphire cover on it. I don't think that the sapphire will be flexible.
  • Reply 8 of 100
    I cannot confirm this, but all these "reports" today are apple-coordinated.

More will come before day is over
    solipsismx wrote: »
    I don't think so. All these rumours do is bring disappointment when unrealistic things are stated that don't happen and kill the reveal when the things that are accurate get talked about days, weeks and months ahead of time. None of that helps Apple.

Right. But let's consider the fact the on the same day as all these reports flood in-Yes they usually do-But this time Apple launches a countdown website, something I cannot remember them doing in recent history.

Apple usually does not bring this much hype, as far as countdown clocks go. It's quite plausible.
  • Reply 9 of 100
    FLEXIBLE or CURVED ????
    If Flexible... Oooohoooo!
  • Reply 10 of 100
    I assume they mean it uses a flexible display to create a curve which then has a sapphire cover on it. I don't think that the sapphire will be flexible.
    Here's the thing if it turns out to be a curved screen, then it would have to be anti-glare. Because in the case where you hold a curved screen, no matter how much you tilt it, there is a persistent glare. With a non-curved screen you can get rid of glare.
  • Reply 11 of 100
    The only website I can being correct within days of any Apple annulment is the WSJ.

I dont buy flexible sapphire for a second. Curved?

I also don't see them doing wireless charging unless iPhone has it as well. Otherwise, people might justifiably say, I will wait for next years iPhone with wireless charging.
  • Reply 12 of 100
    rogifanrogifan Posts: 10,669member
    I see AAPL is down another 1% when the likes of Google, Microsoft and Amazon are all up on the day. Another analyst coming out and throwing cold water on the "iWatch" and that Apple's product cycle peaked with iPhone 6. Here's my question: all the rumors point to new product categories and new services like mobile payments. What more is Wall Street expecting Apple to do? And why are Apple's competitors priced as though they have limitless growth and upside but yet Apple is treated as though it has no place to go but down?
  • Reply 13 of 100
    Quote:

Originally Posted by TheRealTom View Post

It'd be so funny if the iwatch launched.

There... fixed that for you.

• Reply 14 of 100
    rogifanrogifan Posts: 10,669member
    The NY Times is massively trolling Apple. They sure know what will get hits.

Hmm...not so sure. This comes out on the same day Apple puts up a live web stream page with a count down clock. Who knows if all of these rumors will turn out to be correct but I doubt they're all BS either. What I think will be most impressive (and completely overlooked by the mainstream press there) is the chip technology. All the stuff Bob Mansfield has been working on in his special projects role. I'm excited to finally see what's been cooking these past couple years.

I love it though that none of these rumors are coming from wonder boy Mark Gurman. Must drive him crazy that he's had next to no scoops on this event. :D
  • Reply 15 of 100
    fallenjtfallenjt Posts: 4,054member
    sog35 wrote: »

Guess i was right
    Not yet.
  • Reply 16 of 100
    muppetrymuppetry Posts: 3,331member
    <h1 style="margin-bottom:15px;margin-top:0px;">flexible sapphire screen?</h1>

If the sapphire layer is thin enough (probably the top layer of a laminate) then in principle it could be sufficiently flexible for this purpose.
  • Reply 17 of 100
    Quote:

Originally Posted by muppetry View Post

If the sapphire layer is thin enough (probably the top layer of a laminate) then in principle it could be sufficiently flexible for this purpose.

I designed an optical sensor used in quite large volumes, used a short piece of hemi-spherical  'rod' which contacted the (moving) part being sensed'. I tried so very long to get a thin piece of sapphire that i could bend- unless you know of some special method - Apple has somehow managed to modify the lattice structure to make it flexible

Actually I doubt its a flexible sapphire window - I go with the consensus that says its curved, but still rigid

• Reply 18 of 100
    malaxmalax Posts: 1,598member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by THEMAC1NT0SH View Post

Right. But let's consider the fact the on the same day as all these reports flood in-Yes they usually do-But this time Apple launches a countdown website, something I cannot remember them doing in recent history.

Apple usually does not bring this much hype, as far as countdown clocks go. It's quite plausible.

Right, but there is NFW that Apple is strategically leaking these details in advance of the big reveal.  The worst thing that can happen is if the story on Tuesday is "Apple delivered on only x% of the things that were expected."

• Reply 19 of 100

Apple is going to announce that Siri is being replaced by the consciousness and voice of Jobs, they built a base on the dark side of the moon and Steve Balmer has been hired to head product development.

The one that is the most possible is the least likely ;) 

• Reply 20 of 100
    muppetrymuppetry Posts: 3,331member
    muppetry wrote: »
    I designed an optical sensor used in quite large volumes, used a short piece of hemi-spherical  'rod' which contacted the (moving) part being sensed'. I tried so very long to get a thin piece of sapphire that i could bend- unless you know of some special method - Apple has somehow managed to modify the lattice structure to make it flexible
    Actually I doubt its a flexible sapphire window - I go with the consensus that says its curved, but still rigid

It's only going to work as part of a larger structure that constrains the local radius of curvature. I'm not surprised that you were unable to make a freestanding flexible sapphire rod. I'm talking about thicknesses of no more than a couple of tens of microns, probably less.