Apple's 'iWatch' to have two sizes, 8GB storage, multiple material & color options for 2015 launch -

Comments

• Reply 41 of 78
    maestro64 wrote: »
    Okay that does not make sense since Apple claimed that iOS 8 will work in the iphone 4 and they came in 8GB configs. I doubt apple will say it only works on the 16GB models 
    All features in iOS8 won't go to the iPhone 4 thus lowering it's space on the device similar to how the iWatch won't have full-fledged iOS.
  • Reply 42 of 78
    pmz wrote: »
    mjtomlin wrote: »

I pretty much assumed that if it has anything to do with fitness it will at the very least have storage for music.

Why on earth would an iPhone accessory that you wear on your wrist have storage for music?

Explain how that makes any sense at all.

Funny ... your use of the term iPhone accessory takes me back a bit ... maybe we should expect punched-card readers and punches, console typewriters, paper tape (chad or chadless) readers and punches, printers, random-access disk drives, magnetic tape drives, data cells ...
  • Reply 43 of 78
    fallenjtfallenjt Posts: 4,054member
    rogifan wrote: »
    That's assuming Kuo is right. ;) I swear he's as bad as Samsung throwing shit at the wall to see what sticks.
    What if he's been right all a long, would you shut up?
  • Reply 44 of 78

Between Re/Code and Ming the Master I refuse to consider rumors about Apple from anyone else! :/

• Reply 45 of 78
    Originally Posted by mjtomlin View Post

Wait! You're saying iOS 8 will take up about 6-7GB of storage space?

Originally Posted by Dick Applebaum View Post

Here's my 64 GB iPhone 5:

I just had a thought. Is iOS still based on Leopard? Is it? Because iPhone OS 1 was; everyone knows that. Apple has just never mentioned any change to the base OS since then.

I ask because it wasn’t until Snow Leopard that Apple started properly reporting giga and gibibytes in its OS. So could it be that iOS still shows “less” space than it actually has because the NAND’s gigabytes of storage are being read by the OS as gibibytes but reported to you as gigabytes? That’s how all versions of OS X did until 10.6 and how all versions of Windows still operate....

Originally Posted by pmz View Post

Why on earth would an iPhone accessory that you wear on your wrist have storage for music? Explain how that makes any sense at all.

Well, I have my iPod nano on my wrist with a Bluetooth dongle and it makes for a great watch and music system. 

You’re right, though.

• Reply 46 of 78
    lkrupp wrote: »
    If they announce on 9/9/14 but don’t ship till 2015 that’s a big problem for me. It reminds me of Microsoft’s tactics of announcing vaporware in order to stifle a competitor’s sales. If they announce on 9/9/14 they better damn well ship within a reasonable period of time (weeks not months).
    Like the first iPhone?
  • Reply 47 of 78
    bbhbbh Posts: 134member
    "If they announce on 9/9/14 but don't ship till 2015 that's a big problem for me. It reminds me of Microsoft's tactics of announcing vaporware in order to stifle a competitor's sales. If they announce on 9/9/14 they better damn well ship within a reasonable period of time (weeks not months)."

Or you'll do what? Pound your fists on the table? Since they have no comparable product of their own to stifle, what's wrong with stifling the competition?
  • Reply 48 of 78
    I'm glad to see the OLED rumour cropping up again. I think that makes the most sense, especially with Apple's use of ultra-thin fonts. You make a few lines a few pixels wide on an OLED display and you may be able to have the time shown constantly with very little power use. You also get the benefit of deep, rich blacks for the part of the display that isn't on which would go a long way to making it look better as jewelry.
  • Reply 49 of 78
    fallenjt wrote: »
    Like the first iPhone?

And the first Apple TV. And the first iPad, both WiFI and 3G versions. And the Mac Pro.
  • Reply 50 of 78
    Quote:

Originally Posted by pmz View Post

Why on earth would an iPhone accessory that you wear on your wrist have storage for music?

Explain how that makes any sense at all.

1, I'd expect the watch to be functional on its own and only improved by having a synced iPhone, rather than actually requiring it.

2, I don't expect a headphone port on the watch, but I expect it will have bluetooth and would work with bluetooth headphones. As a fitness accessory, people will be happy to be able to leave their phone somewhere safe while working out, and not have the phone weighing them down or risk damaging it.

• Reply 51 of 78
    Originally Posted by fallenjt View Post

Like the first iPhone?

Originally Posted by SolipsismX View Post

And the first Apple TV. And the first iPad, both WiFI and 3G versions. And the Mac Pro.

Exactly. When it’s the first product in a new category, Apple doesn’t care how long it takes in between.

The Mac Pro and iMac are examples of why it doesn’t work when you already have a product.

• Reply 52 of 78
    USA stop the war.
    Stop NATO.
    Only you can do this!
    Donbas people..
  • Reply 53 of 78
    solipsismxsolipsismx Posts: 19,566member
    fuzzypaws wrote: »
    I expect it will have bluetooth and would work with bluetooth headphones.

It sounds like you want something that will replace an iPod or iPhone. I'm not sure Apple is looking at it from that angle. Plus, how long do you think a battery in a wrist-worn device will last when trying to constantly play music through it over BT?
  • Reply 54 of 78
    sockrolidsockrolid Posts: 2,789member

Originally Posted by RegurgitatedCoprolite View Post

Now, you're talking! 

I was thinking 2GB would be the absolute bare-bones minimum - 4GB would rate a 'meh', and 8GB would be getting close.

Reminds me of an old saying: "Your wife will love the dual core Tegra 2 chipset."

Bringing specs to an experience fight is such an Android thing.

Isn't it?

• Reply 55 of 78
    anomeanome Posts: 1,533member
    paxman wrote: »
    As long as it comes with a USB and Thunderbolt connectivity I'm happy. 
    You mean Giblets, right? An iWatch with a reversible USB and 8 Giblets.... Awesome!

I'm totally expecting iWatch to have a serial port as well. If it doesn't > epic fail !
    Let's face it, if the iWatch doesn't have a built-in kickstand, it's going to be completely unusable. And don't try to fob me off with a third party kickstand, because paying an extra $30 to whatever price they actually sell it at isn't an option...
  • Reply 56 of 78
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Anome View Post

Let's face it, if the iWatch doesn't have a built-in kickstand, it's going to be completely unusable. And don't try to fob me off with a third party kickstand, because paying an extra $30 to whatever price they actually sell it at isn't an option...

Crap ! How did I not think of a kickstand . . . and a smart kickstand at that ! Must have.

• Reply 57 of 78
    anomeanome Posts: 1,533member
    Forgot to add:
    With Apple design chief Jony Ive reportedly confident of the so-called "iWatch's" chances when pitted against the famous Swiss watchmakers, a new report from analyst Ming-Chi Kuo suggests that Apple will offer its upcoming wearable -- which is unlikely to hit shelves before 2015 -- in at least two sizes with 8 gigabytes of internal storage and a variety of color and material options, including gold
    Two sizes. You know what that means?

5.5" iWatch is a certainty. Even a deaf aardvark could hear it coming.
  • Reply 58 of 78
    For all we know it might be called AirWatch since there's no Internet on its own.
  • Reply 59 of 78
    Quote:

Originally Posted by SockRolid View Post

Reminds me of an old saying: "Your wife will love the dual core Tegra 2 chipset."

Bringing specs to an experience fight is such an Android thing.

Isn't it?

8GB is the same storage capacity in Apple TV. Did you see how many apps that Apple TV has? Plenty.

• Reply 60 of 78
    solipsismxsolipsismx Posts: 19,566member
    fallenjt wrote: »
    8GB is the same storage capacity in Apple TV. Did you see how many apps that Apple TV has? Plenty.

it does have a lot of apps, and most of the data taken up by those apps are for graphics to support a 1080p interface with lots of options, not to mention the on-baord NAND is used to hold a buffered 1080p videos.I don't see a wrist-worn device needing any of that.