Apple's 'iWatch' has flexible sapphire screen & wireless charging, 'iPhone 6' to offer one-handed mo

1235»

Comments

• Reply 81 of 100
    flaneur wrote: »
    Or a pair of (sapphire?) glasses that i-Watch everything through?

I'm obliged to point out that i've been saying this for some months now, some time after Apple trademarked "iWatch." No one picked up on it. You are the first to also espouse the idea. Great minds think alike, and all that. Samsung's Gear VR is maybe a forecopy. Apple's stereo glasses patents promise something much more wearable.

Oops, sorry! I acknowledge your priority. As you can probably tell from my 500 posts in 6 years, my attention here is spotty.

I don't suppose it will happen, but it sure would be funny. "But...but...but..Google Glass!!!!"
  • Reply 82 of 100
    [quote name="Junkyard Dawg" url="/t/182098/apples-iwatch-has-flexible-sapphire-screen-wireless-charging-iphone-6-to-offer-one-handed-mode-nyt-says/80#post_2589955"]
    I think the upcoming product announcements, which represent the first truly post-Jobs products, will be an interesting look at what Apple can do without Jobs.[/QUOTE]

We don't know what Jobs had his hands in before he passed or how much of any product is part of his influence, except to say that Apple wouldn't have happened without him.

[QUOTE]Apple's history shows that they did not fare well without Jobs, but today's Apple is a different company, infused with a corporate culture resulting from Jobs's leadership, the NeXT gurus he's put in places of leadership, and the new hires under his tenure.  I think we're about to learn whether Jobs was able to build a company that could continue to thrive without him.[/QUOTE]

I agree with that.
  • Reply 83 of 100
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by SolipsismX View Post

We don't know what Jobs had his hands in before he passed or how much of any product is part of his influence, except to say that Apple wouldn't have happened without him.

Quite right.  At least as far as the biography and accounts I've read, it's never entirely clear who originally conceived of particular projects.  If in ten years Apple products take a significantly different course, we may have an idea at least.

Edit:  we can be sure at least that Steve wasn't involved in most of the design decisions of the iWatch project, since there's just no way it was at that stage when he was well enough to engage.  But yeah, he could have been intimately involved in laying the groundwork for materials production development that made it possible.  And of course, he may have said "guys!  Let's make a watch!"

• Reply 84 of 100
    <span style="font-size:13px;line-height:1.4em;">I think the upcoming product announcements, which represent the first truly post-Jobs products, will be an interesting look at what Apple can do without Jobs.  Apple's history shows that they did not fare well without Jobs, but today's Apple is a different company, infused with a corporate culture resulting from Jobs's leadership, the NeXT gurus he's put in places of leadership, and the new hires under his tenure.  I think we're about to learn whether Jobs was able to build a company that could continue to thrive without him.</span>

My primary concern is that people like Steve Jobs often do not abide the presence of other strong willed visionary leaders.  They tend to select for people who are more deferential, the sort of people who may be be technically proficient, but are wont to improve on existing designs of their competitors..  On the other hand, Jobs wasn't like other people, and there are plenty of examples of him hiring and working with headstrong people.  I wonder whether he left a company able to take the initiative, or a company of passive followers in search of a leader?  

I don't know the answer.  I think we need more data.

Steve never hired deferential people. If you were incapable of barking back at Steve, he got rid of you.
  • Reply 85 of 100
    Quite right.  At least as far as the biography and accounts I've read, it's never entirely clear who originally conceived of particular projects.  If in ten years Apple products take a significantly different course, we may have an idea at least.

Example project: WebObjects it was a weekend project conceived by a friend of mine who extended AppKit and exposed parts of FoundationKit via Objective-C to create dynamic web publishing, which naturally was extended to EOF 2.0, a project Craig Federighi helped develop after two interns created EOF 1.x. The two guys went on to found RunningStart Inc.

I really wished they had stuck around.
  • Reply 86 of 100
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Eric Swinson View Post

Apple is going to announce that Siri is being replaced by the consciousness and voice of Jobs, they built a base on the dark side of the moon and Steve Balmer has been hired to head product development.

Considering the fact that The Dark Side Of The Moon spent over a 1000 (non-consecutive) weeks on the Billboard charts, I think it already has a huge base!

• Reply 87 of 100
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Suddenly Newton View Post

Every time this image is used in an article and angel gets its wings:

I thought Angels get Harleys...

• Reply 88 of 100
    Quote:

Originally Posted by mdriftmeyer View Post

Steve never hired deferential people. If you were incapable of barking back at Steve, he got rid of you.

Cool, I suspected but didn't know for sure.  That bodes very well for Apple's continued success - and for the upcoming iWatch.

• Reply 89 of 100
    flaneurflaneur Posts: 4,526member
    Oops, sorry! I acknowledge your priority. As you can probably tell from my 500 posts in 6 years, my attention here is spotty.

I don't suppose it will happen, but it sure would be funny. "But...but...but..Google Glass!!!!"

Likewise, I acknowledge your equally demented iWatch-ing. I think there was one other poster here a while back.

Google Glass was a big setback, was it not? As if we didn't have two eyes. Millions alienated from the concept of digital eyeware. Half-baked. Meanwhile, Samsung and Sony are designing for robot wannabees.

Edit: there are hints. The three story white building, for flying Apple drones connected to the iWatches (someone suggested the drones here a few days ago). And there are two people now, Dalrymple and Bajarin, who have said "fasten your seatbelts."
  • Reply 90 of 100
    flaneur wrote: »

Likewise, I acknowledge your equally demented iWatch-ing. I think there was one other poster here a while back.

Google Glass was a big setback, was it not? As if we didn't have two eyes. Millions alienated from the concept of digital eyeware. Half-baked. Meanwhile, Samsung and Sony are designing for robot wannabees.

Edit: there are hints. The three story white building, for flying Apple drones connected to the iWatches (someone suggested the drones here a few days ago). And there are two people now, Dalrymple and Bajarin, who have said "fasten your seatbelts."
    They are releasing the iCar and iPlane:p
  • Reply 91 of 100
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Mac-sochist View Post

Or a pair of (sapphire?) glasses that i-Watch everything through?

Cute but no cigar. Any form of eyewear with any form of HUD would be rightly derided as a knock-off of Google Glass.

I am so-o-o-o-o-o-o tired of all the contradicting rumors and wild guesses about the looks and features of the iPhone(s), iWatch(es) and iWhatever.

Gawd I can't wait for this to be over. :grumble: 

• Reply 92 of 100
    roakeroake Posts: 809member
    dmarcoot wrote: »
    The only website I can being correct within days of any Apple annulment is the WSJ.

How is it that you've decided they are "correct"? Perhaps they are, perhaps not. I think what you mean is, "The only website I can see stating what I want to hear within days of an Apple announcement is the WSJ."
  • Reply 93 of 100
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Rogifan View Post

I see AAPL is down another 1% when the likes of Google, Microsoft and Amazon are all up on the day. Another analyst coming out and throwing cold water on the "iWatch" and that Apple's product cycle peaked with iPhone 6. Here's my question: all the rumors point to new product categories and new services like mobile payments. What more is Wall Street expecting Apple to do? And why are Apple's competitors priced as though they have limitless growth and upside but yet Apple is treated as though it has no place to go but down?

Stocks change 1% on an ill timed sneeze.

• Reply 94 of 100
    MarvinMarvin Posts: 15,310moderator
    brianm2989 wrote: »
    Why the hell is 1. The FaceTime camera is smaller and 2. There are 3 holes on the top front Basel? Could there be a secret? Could it be face recognition? Could it be a dual 2 mp camera with enhanced FaceTime? What is it?

They apparently switched the Facetime camera round with the proximity sensor so the camera is now left of the earpiece. Some knockoff models have extra circles. There was talk of adding a flash to the front, I guess to make better looking selfies.
  • Reply 95 of 100
    Quote:

Originally Posted by anantksundaram View Post

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rogifan View Post

Quote:

Originally Posted by sog35 View Post

Don't worry about Wall Street clowns.  If Apple continues to grow earnings we see $125 next year.

The stock is down because of short termers, traders, option players, weak hands, ect.  IMO, I think we test $110 by EOM

I'm seriously thinking of getting out even though I've always been long AAPL because I can't deal with the nervous nellies who pump the stock one minute and run away like scared little girls the next. Wall Street's really quaking in their boots over the Note 4 and these stupid smartphones on a wrist? Seriously?

Please, please get out, and spare us the minute-by-minute pangs, twitches, regret, guilt, angst, breast-beating, caterwauling, etc etc. Enough already. It's become quite tiresome.

It's all those hormones, I'm afraid. Rogifan's a girly.

• Reply 96 of 100
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Dickprinter View Post

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Suddenly Newton View Post

Please, Apple, please announce the iWatch or whatever it's going to be called on Sept 9 so AI can stop trolling us with this fake pic.

^^^This is the one that bugs the crap out of me. ^^^

What, this one? Oh, right. ????

• Reply 97 of 100
    Can you use iWallet with iWatch?
  • Reply 98 of 100

Curious, what the security is going to be like when the iPhones, phablets, iPads, and accessories.

I don't want my iwallet to give out any of my payment out to sniffers in the area?

• Reply 99 of 100
    danoxdanox Posts: 2,804member

Project iWatch/Health could be, probably is 5-10 years old, judging by the iPhone, iPad and the Intel CPU switch history.