Exclusive aerial footage of Apple's mysterious white box next to 'iPhone 6' event site

Comments

• Reply 61 of 104
    tundraboy wrote: »
    Apple showing up Google: This is how you do barges! (First and foremost, you build them on land.)
    And they don't sink!
  • Reply 62 of 104
    lowepglowepg Posts: 106member
    Ironically. those drones are built to be controlled by iphones or ipads (at least the live video portion)....

[IMG ALT=""]http://forums.appleinsider.com/content/type/61/id/48089/width/350/height/700[/IMG]
  • Reply 63 of 104
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by mpantone View Post

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Phone-UI-Guy View Post

That building is something like 1/4 the size of the flint center. That is huge whatever it is for. I agree it is not a stage as they have one of those. I sure hope this even is streamed live.

Some events require multiple stages. Many venues have configurations that don't work well for some events. Also, the set change itself might require too much time or effort.

The Flint Center has permanent seating, they can't be removed. It's more like a movie theater or classical concert hall rather than a general admission rock concert venue which is why they don't host many rock concerts. It's typically things like dance, orchestras (even the San Francisco Symphony does the occasional Flint Center concert) and projected events like Warren Miller ski movies.

Flint Center would be great for Yo-Yo Ma, not Radiohead.

Earlier eyewitness reports by a passerby stated that what appeared to a sound stage was being built. The logical conclusion from that story would be that indeed this is some sort of stage with a general admission (seatless) audience area.

The three main sections of the building could be the stage, audience floor, and an entry hall. The two auxiliary sections could be a backstage/artists' area plus a catering operation.

The recently completed acquisition of Beats would seem to point to some sort of major promotional moment at some occasion and Tuesday would be the first Apple media event since that acquisition.

If Apple does introduce some sort of wearable tech, a fashion show might be a suitable event. Flint Center's orchestra floor seating arrangement does not make it a good venue for something like a fashion show since a catwalk cannot be set up.

With the recent high-level acquisitions of Ahrendts, Iovine, and Dr. Dre, it is likely that we will start to see more entertainment-style events rather than the corporate dog-and-pony media presentations.

I read the early reports, but the building looks to be made of pipe (like scaffolding pipe for the structure). The early photos showed one side open and it kind of looked like a stage. That wall was subsequently closed up in later photos. I think the construction makes it look like a stage, but that doesn't mean that is what it is. A cat walk might be one possible thing. Either way, they would need plenty of temporary lighting, etc and that would make it look like a "stage" even though it is a temporary event building just by the construction and visibility of the infrastructure while under construction. Apple may well have it all hidden by the 9th. I joked about it being an iDisco, but I can totally see it being a temporary dance club / party to celebrate the beats acquisition _if_ they have some announcement to really tie beats into Apple more (which I think they will). Either way, I hope the live coverage shows us what is inside there after the keynote. :)

• Reply 64 of 104

I see...

• Reply 65 of 104
    vl-tone wrote: »
    I see...

[image]

A giant Tetris game?
  • Reply 66 of 104
    Quote:

Originally Posted by SolipsismX View Post

A giant Tetris game?

• Reply 67 of 104
    Originally Posted by VL-Tone View Post

I see...

All I see are the stick arms with wacky fingers.

• Reply 68 of 104
    Maybe they're returning to the big vs small thing, like they did with the PowerBook:

[VIDEO]

So they release this small wrist worn device, an iWatch, and use a massively large building, just to show it, dangling from the ceiling.

Really, who knows. The speculation here is fun, but the video from that drone thing is completely useless. Either do it 007 style or don't post videos like these at all.
  • Reply 69 of 104
    Maybe they're giant (e.g., aerial view) Apple-product boxes %u2014 like the ones the products ship in. The one in the middle is probably an iPhone box. On either side, maybe an iWatch and perhaps even a new, mystery product.
  • Reply 70 of 104
    The article mentions seating nearly for 3,000 people, but I counted and found 2466 seats (including disabled and orchestra pit seating).

So "nearly 3,000" seems a bit of an exaggeration... ;-)
  • Reply 71 of 104
    sporlosporlo Posts: 143member
    dgkanter wrote: »
    Would like to view the embedded video, but all I get is a black box with centered white text "Invalid meta for Vimeo" and, in the lower-left corner, white text "Use original player" prefaced with a left-arrow that would seem to be a link to effect that, but nothing happens if it's clicked.
    Turn off the YouTube5 extension temporarily.
  • Reply 72 of 104
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

All I see are the stick arms with wacky fingers.

You are looking at it wrong!

Initially I saw the stick arms too. Just look sideways. It definitely looks like a watch, as @VL-Tone mentioned!

EDIT: The stick arms indicate that you can do a "hands on" of the new iWearable.

• Reply 73 of 104
    I saw it too. Nice.
    Although I can just see Ive, Cook et al just laughing hysterically as they approve the layout. Right what wind up (no pun intended ) are we going to do for the next few years. We've done iTv and iWatch. What next?"
  • Reply 74 of 104
    flaneurflaneur Posts: 4,526member
    lowepg wrote: »
    Ironically. those drones are built to be controlled by iphones or ipads (at least the live video portion)....

Do you have a link for that page? Thanks.

Edit: Never mind, I found it with " Vision+ drone" search.
  • Reply 75 of 104
    I enjoyed this video and loved the music.
  • Reply 76 of 104
    paul94544 wrote: »
    I personally stopped wearing a watch a long time ago. I find my self happier because of it. Not rushing around. I tried a few times to wear a watch and found it gave me a rash/ sweaty felt weird so i won't wear one again. Now I realize I'm a minority and not being overweight like most folks I don't suppose I will really need to know up to the second info on my heart rate, insulin count etc. Now of course I do think it will be a success because the majority of customers for it are overweight, suffering from all kinds of health problems or fitness freaks and so on. But do we really need a device on our wrist that takes over our lives and transmits text messages and all kinds of reminders to us 24x7. After all the secret to a happy life is stepping back from that anal retentive, everything under control, mass delusional , go getter madhouse we live in. No wonder the 3 leading causes of death are heart attacks, cancer and strokes. If you really want happiness, its not in material objects or another person. Its learning to detach from all the things that imprison us. The great thing about my iPhone, is I can just leave  it at home and boom I'm instantly rid of it for a while. Yes we have the ability to take that watch off,  but do we trust ourselves to have the will power to do so? The more connected you are to the Matrix, the more a slave you become to it. You either choose to be a part of it or you can choose to go back to the source. Do you really believe all the nonsense about technology empowering you? I don't. Now I will get off my soap box. ha ha

Good post.
  • Reply 77 of 104

Holy moly, the Android geekbots are in full "Android invented every possible concept in the known universe from the dawn of time until the end of time" overdrive mode on every Apple article. The Asperger-rage and shaking of tiny, impotent fists has reached nearly whelming levels (when viewed through a magnifying glass).

I usually just link to an article where the Android team admits that when the first iPhone came out they scrapped the glorified feature phone they *were* working on and copied Apple.

It's really sad what the geekverse has become. It used to love good tech no matter who made it. Now it clings to things like memory cards and USB connectors and misogyny.

• Reply 78 of 104
    philboogie wrote: »
    Maybe they're returning to the big vs small thing, like they did with the PowerBook:

[VIDEO]

So they release this small wrist worn device, an iWatch, and use a massively large building, just to show it, dangling from the ceiling.

Really, who knows. The speculation here is fun, but the video from that drone thing is completely useless. Either do it 007 style or don't post videos like these at all.

Your petty and unjustified negativity is getting tiring.
  • Reply 79 of 104
    Your petty and unjustified negativity is getting tiring.

In what way is he ever petty or negative?!?!?!?!?!
  • Reply 80 of 104
    Originally Posted by SolipsismX View Post

In what way is he ever petty or negative?!?!?!?!?!

Oh, so you’re saying he’s often unjustified? ????