VMWare releases Fusion 7 with support for OS X Yosemite and Retina optimization

Posted:
in Mac Software edited February 2015
Virtualization firm VMWare on Wednesday announced the availability of VMWare Fusion 7, the latest release of its popular consumer virtualization package that brings compatibility with Apple's upcoming OS X Yosemite as well as better performance.

In Fusion 7, VMWare has adopted OS X Yosemite's visual style in Fusion 7, adding window translucency alongside streamlined toolbars and a new dock icon. Along with the visual tweaks, users can create more powerful virtual machines with support for up to 16 virtual CPUs, 8-terabyte virtual disks, 64 gigabytes of RAM and up to 2 gigabytes of video RAM.

The company says Fusion 7 is also faster when it comes to computationally-intensive tasks like multimedia and encryption thanks to optimizations designed to take advantage of the new hardware in Apple's most recent Macs. Along the same lines, MacBook users will find Fusion 7 to be a more energy-efficient option, using nearly half as much energy as its predecessor.

Professional users will find support for Microsoft's latest operating systems, including Windows 8.1 and Windows 2012 R2, in Fusion 7 Pro. Support for Linux has also been expanded, and users can now connect to VMware's vSphere or Workstation deployments in corporate clouds.

VMWare has also given pros the option to choose which GPU to use in systems that come with multiple graphics processing units, and Windows-focused video conferencing software can take advantage of the built-in iSight camera on MacBooks and iMacs. Finally, Fusion 7 Pro adds support for USB 3.0, HD audio with 5.1 surround sound, and Bluetooth 4.0.

Users of both editions will also find better support for Windows programs running on Macs with Retina displays.

VMWare Fusion 7 and Fusion 7 Pro are now available for $69.99 and $149.99, respecitvely, from VMWare. Existing users of Fusion 5 and Fusion 6 can upgrade for just $49.99 and $79.99.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 16
    Wow, $149.99 seems like a pretty high price point, it will cost more than windows alone.
  • Reply 2 of 16
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Rob Bonner View Post

Wow, $149.99 seems like a pretty high price point, it will cost more than windows alone.

I doubt there are many of us normal folk who need the capabilities of the Pro version. Outside of IT departments and large development organizations who need cloned and cloud-based VMs or huge VMs running with massive amounts of memory and virtual CPUs (i.e. virtualized servers), most people can get by just fine with the standard edition.

• Reply 3 of 16
    paxmanpaxman Posts: 4,729member

My VMWare days are coming to an end and I am happy for it. Accounting app no longer required.

• Reply 4 of 16
    mjtomlinmjtomlin Posts: 2,673member

Ugh! I just upgraded to version 6 for Mavericks support. Now I gotta upgrade again!?!?

Is there anyone running version 6 under Yosemite?

• Reply 5 of 16
    Quote:

Originally Posted by mjtomlin View Post

Ugh! I just upgraded to version 6 for Mavericks support. Now I gotta upgrade again!?!?

I do. Doing just fine on my beta testing machine.

• Reply 6 of 16
    mjtomlinmjtomlin Posts: 2,673member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by zoffdino View Post

I do. Doing just fine on my beta testing machine.

Cool, thanks bunch!

• Reply 7 of 16
    On Yosemite, version 6 runs fine with the notable exception of a very annoying flicker in the screen using windows 8.1. I tried the old Vsync hack and it didn't resolve it.

So far my running total of paid upgrades required for Yosemite support is about $450. Not to mention what plugins I need to repurchase for adobe CC 2014 support..... Free upgrades my ass. ;)
    I've also noticed many of my "expensive" $20 apps on iOS have announced upcoming version 2s which will require me to purchase them from the app store again for iOS 8 functionality.

Don't get me wrong. I'm not blaming third party developers because I do know first hand the amount of work that goes into supporting OS / Platform changes and I think they should be paid for it. We just really need to to put it in perspective that owning a computer that you use as a work tool day in and day out basically costs as much a year as a part time employee.
  • Reply 8 of 16
    Quote:

Cool, thanks bunch!

Quote:

Cool, thanks bunch!

I use Yosemite with VMWare Fusion 6 on a late 2013 macbook pro.  Ever since upgrading to Yosemite, when I have my Windows 8.1 VM in full screen mode on an external monitor connected to the thunderbolt port, it starts up with bad resolution, and it does not maintain any screen resolution changes I put in place.  It got annoying very quickly, and now I run the VMs in "non fullscreen" mode.

• Reply 9 of 16
    MacProMacPro Posts: 19,727member
    mjtomlin wrote: »

Not tried that but I do have Yosemite running in 6 under under Mavericks ... but I know that's not what you asked :)
  • Reply 10 of 16
    If you bought version 6 recently (mine was 2 weeks ago) you will get a free upgrade under the Technology Guarantee Program. I received my key this afternoon.

They just update their [URL=http://kb.vmware.com/selfservice/microsites/search.do?language=en_US&cmd=displayKC&externalId=2033582]KB2033582[/URL] to reflect the 6->7 free upgrade. It is for purchases between August 1 and September 30
  • Reply 11 of 16
    Hi -- I hope that you report this issue to VMware as a bug report. The more bug fixes the better quality of the software. Cheers
  • Reply 12 of 16
    I have used emulators going back to the stone age of computers and then VMs. I love VMWare and it is very useful for running other versions of OS X such as the developer Yosemite and before that all the OS X Server versions post Intel. Today I use a dedicated Mac mini with partitioned drives for OS X betas rather than VMs mostly. There was once a time when I needed to run Emulators and then VMs for Windows XP (I won't mention Vista) and later 7 almost daily for either testing web sites I built, testing compatibility of Quicktime creations, accessing Windows to run Internet Explorer for server side systems built only for IE or just running software that didn't exist on Apple.

Today I have zero need to run Windows for any of those reasons. In fact there has been a total reversal and it is Internet Explorer that is no longer compatible often with current technology. I have a VM with Windows 8.1 but have never 'needed it' it is now just for my own curiosity (masochism?). So for me I see an end to using VMs unless something else comes along I can't foresee. I am out of the hosting business now which is where I see VMs being mainly used in the future and that on Linux boxes. It's been a long and fun ride and I thank all the various creators of the old Emulators and the more modern Virtualization systems that ran on Macs and wish them well but I seriously don't see me being a customer in the future, now Apple rule ... and I have waited a long time to say that :smokey:
  • Reply 13 of 16
    jcbr2012 wrote: »

I use Yosemite with VMWare Fusion 6 on a late 2013 macbook pro.  Ever since upgrading to Yosemite, when I have my Windows 8.1 VM in full screen mode on an external monitor connected to the thunderbolt port, it starts up with bad resolution, and it does not maintain any screen resolution changes I put in place.  It got annoying very quickly, and now I run the VMs in "non fullscreen" mode.

Just a thought, having seen that, have you re run the 'Instal VMWare Tools' option again? It fixed that issue for me.
  • Reply 14 of 16
    asciiascii Posts: 5,936member

I have Yosemite installed in the new VMware Fusion 7, and Yosemite doesn't recognise the VMware virtual display as something it should pixel double. So just a warning if you're thinking of buying this, on a Macbook Pro Retina, Yosemite will run at 2800x1800, not 1440x900 pixel doubled.

• Reply 15 of 16

Using Windows 8.1 in Fusion 6, and after upgrading to Yosemite, I also was experiencing terrible flickering, especially when connected to an external display. It was all resolved when I set the display within the Virtual Machine's settings: Virtual Machine...Settings...Display:

- Use Full Resolution for Retina display (enabled)

- Automatically adjust user interface size in Windows (enabled)

I was also experiencing screen corruption in Internet Explorer (but not in Chrome, Firefox, etc.). I resolved this within IE's settings by enabling Software Rendering (instead of using the GPU) within Tools...Internet Options...Advanced.

MacBook Pro (Retina, 15-inch, Late 2013)

Intel Core i7, 2.6 GHz

16GB

NVIDIA GeForce GT 750M 2048 MB

• Reply 16 of 16

Thanks. The retina full resolution setting did the trick for me on my iMac 2011...