Apple announces Sept. 9 event for expected 'iPhone 6' & 'iWatch' unveiling: 'Wish we could say more'

Comments

• Reply 281 of 317
    dunks wrote: »
    That's funny. I've had both September 9 and September 19 bookmarked in my calendar for at least the last few months based off information garnered here, or on similar sites.

Rene Ritchie at iMore.com has been saying Sept, 9 since the beginning of the year, I believe.
  • Reply 282 of 317

Any idea how much it costs?

• Reply 283 of 317
    Dammit, busted. I know it's not a simile, but I'll be damned if I could come up with a word that describes what it is, so I used something "close enough" to convey the point. So, quiz for <a data-huddler-embed="href" href="/u/14821/rtdunham" style="display:inline-block;">@rtdunham</a>
    : If it's not a simile, what IS it?

BTW, LOL @ "simian!"

Maybe an excellent metaphor? And the same for the "well of similes is drying up..." Very meta.
  • Reply 284 of 317

I was just hoping it wouldn't cost me much.

• Reply 285 of 317
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Benjamin Frost View Post

Which is exactly what Apple have been doing since 2007.

Profits last year: about $40 billion. 

But no doubt, you could do better.

From a business standpoint, yes, they are doing very well.

That does not mean that their products are perfect.  Popular, yes.  Perfect, no.  They are in business to make money, not necessarily great products.

Android is very popular, and Windows.  Are they great?

• Reply 286 of 317
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Bergermeister View Post

From a business standpoint, yes, they are doing very well.

That does not mean that their products are perfect.  Popular, yes.  Perfect, no.  They are in business to make money, not necessarily great products.

Android is very poplar, and Windows.  Are they great?

Incorrect. They are in the business of making great products.

It turns out that people naturally want great products, thus, the profit flows.

In terms of what Apple has been up to? Who knows.

Anybody that thinks Apple has been slowing down over the past few years is an idiot. Of course they haven't. Is it really that easy to forget that they are extremely secretive? If they are working on something for 4 years, why would they start telling us now? Just because WE don't know what they're doing, doesn't make them any less busy or innovative. Patience.

• Reply 287 of 317

Android is very poplar, and Windows.  Are they great?

Because Android is supposedly "open" and free as in beer.

Windows: never was and I doubt ever will be great, because it tries to be good at everything... on everything, i.e. Good enough. I believe they have achieved that goal as unlofty as it is quite well.

I'll stick to the "insanely great" products from Apple thank you... :D
  • Reply 288 of 317
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by MazeCookie View Post

Incorrect. They are in the business of making great products.

It turns out that people naturally want great products, thus, the profit flows.

My opinion is an evaluation, based on my personal experience and is therefore not "incorrect."  You disagree with my opinion, and I think that is fine.  I would stay at (usually) very good.  Great would be a different level, but would be very expensive, which would truly cut into profits.  (There have been flops along the way.)

I love my iMac.  But, for example, why in the heck is the SD card slot around back where it is hard to reach?  That lowers the usability and thus greatness.  I think a very good design could be achieved where usability and form flow well.  They went for form first.

iOS is another story.  I find 7 very difficult to use because of how it looks (this past week I have spent a lot of time with it out of necessity).  I have a folder titled "Apple Useless" for the apps I simply cannot use because of their visual impression: Notes, Clock, Calendar, Contacts; pretty important apps.  I have 3rd party apps that look better.  I turn it on and quickly open an app where I don't have to view the OS level UI.  Sadly, many developers are "updating" their apps to have the feel of OS7 and I have started ditching those as well, as they have been rendered un-viewable (at least on an iPad mini with non retina screen).  Sadly, iOS7 elements are seeping into Mac OS. 

• Reply 289 of 317
    My opinion is an evaluation, based on my personal experience and is therefore not "incorrect."  You disagree with my opinion, and I think that is fine.  I would stay at (usually) very good.  Great would be a different level, but would be very expensive, which would truly cut into profits.  (There have been flops along the way.)

I love my iMac.  But, for example, why in the heck is the SD card slot around back where it is hard to reach?  That lowers the usability and thus greatness.  I think a very good design could be achieved where usability and form flow well.  They went for form first.

iOS is another story.  I find 7 very difficult to use (this past week I have spent a lot of time with it out of necessity).  I have a folder titled "Apple Useless" for the apps I simply cannot use because of their visual impression: Notes, Clock, Calendar, Contacts.  I have 3rd party apps that look better.  I turn it on and quickly open an app where I don't have to view the OS level UI.  Sadly, many developers are "updating" their apps to have the feel of OS7 and I have started ditching those as well, as they have been rendered un-viewable (at least on an iPad mini with non retina screen).

Haven't you come to the conclusion yet that Apple products as they have evolved, are simply at odds with your desire for utmost usefuleness, regardless of what that contraption or design asthetic looks like? Would you not be better served by moving to an Android or possibly a Windows phone? Regardless of Über Fans like myself, I still think it is noble and certainly OK.... nothing to be ashamed of... to take a look at how you as a person works, and then find the tools that accomplish your goals to get things done.

There is no such thing and an unattainable goal for a designer to even attempt to make something that is perfect for everyone. It can't be done and you're desires and taste are evidense of that. I and very many millions get along very well with Apple's asthetic decisions and sometimes compromises to pure functionality for functionalities sake. You've stated many times your love for the obvious and literal interpretation of skeumorphism in design to reflect well-known objects of the past. It's still out there... go find it and make yourself happy. You deserve to be happy, don't you?
  • Reply 290 of 317
    Quote:

Originally Posted by ThePixelDoc View Post

Haven't you come to the conclusion yet that Apple products as they have evolved, are simply at odds with your desire for utmost usefuleness, regardless of what that contraption or design asthetic looks like? Would you not be better served by moving to an Android or possibly a Windows phone? Regardless of Über Fans like myself, I still think it is noble and certainly OK.... nothing to be ashamed of... to take a look at how you as a person works, and then find the tools that accomplish your goals to get things done.

There is no such thing and an unattainable goal for a designer to even attempt to make something that is perfect for everyone. It can't be done and you're desires and taste are evidense of that. I and very many millions get along very well with Apple's asthetic decisions and sometimes compromises to pure functionality for functionalities sake. You've stated many times your love for the obvious and literal interpretation of skeumorphism in design to reflect well-known objects of the past. It's still out there... go find it and make yourself happy. You deserve to be happy, don't you?

Having a nice day?

• Reply 291 of 317
    Originally Posted by ThePixelDoc View Post

You deserve to be happy, don't you?

No. :D

• Reply 292 of 317

iOS is another story.  I find 7 very difficult to use (this past week I have spent a lot of time with it out of necessity).  I have a folder titled "Apple Useless" for the apps I simply cannot use because of their visual impression: Notes, Clock, Calendar, Contacts.  I have 3rd party apps that look better.  I turn it on and quickly open an app where I don't have to view the OS level UI.  Sadly, many developers are "updating" their apps to have the feel of OS7 and I have started ditching those as well, as they have been rendered un-viewable (at least on an iPad mini with non retina screen).

No, he doesn't deserve to be happy. Nor do you.

Sorry to burst your bubble, but that's life. ????
  • Reply 293 of 317
    No, he doesn't deserve to be happy. Nor do you.

Sorry to burst your bubble, but that's life. ????

A rather cynical and judgmental thing to say to anyone for any reason if you don't know more about them.

Please note I did not say that he (or anyone else) has the "right" to be happy... and deserving is thoroughly objective. If you don't think you deserve to be happy, you'll probably never experience the sensation.... and remain bitter outwardly towards others and in retrospect... towards yourself.

You need better drugs... :smokey:
  • Reply 294 of 317
    Having a nice day?

Whether sincere or not... yes, thank you I am... and I really hope you do as well!

*** Has the world really come down to people only being sincere in their anger and bitterness, rather than being taken at literal value if you wish them good will or simply a "good day"?

My my... we're really not getting anywhere as a civilization are we... :no:
  • Reply 295 of 317
    [@]Benjamin Frost[/@] - just because I've been disparaging, rather scathing and intolerant in regards to some of your antics in other posts, if you care to look a fair number of your up-votes over the last week have come from "Yours Truly".

I may not be the most persuasive or eloquent in my argumentation, nor someone you would take the time to listen to... but I am a very, very... fair man, and call it like I see it, and do not hold grudges very long for past discrepancies of opinion.

Continually beating people over the head with their mistakes sometimes doesn't help them see the error of there ways... so I'm embarking on a different tact... in the hope that you may soon find the error in yours.

"Kill 'em with kindness" is also an effective tactic. Sometimes... :smokey:
  • Reply 296 of 317
    Hoping to stay up for this event.  That building they are building (if indeed it is Apple's) makes this event seem to be too big to miss for something as lame as living on the other side of the planet where the event starts at 2:00 am and being at least close enough to being human as to require sleep daily.  Will require a lot of coffee and popcorn.

I am really excited now that Dell has launched their new display; I really, really want a retina display iMac.  This time around I want a VESA mount.  Hopefully they produce it close to release, unlike last time around (but I had not yet discovered the freedom of display arms at that time so it didn't matter).  Retina, 32GB RAM, 1TB SSD, VESA and they get my order, even if the darned SD card slot is still in the back.  The VESA arm will make swinging the machine around a piece of cake!

Off topic:  My Block list has grown by one.
  • Reply 297 of 317
    [@]Benjamin Frost[/@] - just because I've been disparaging, rather scathing and intolerant in regards to some of your antics in other posts, if you care to look a fair number of your up-votes over the last week have come from "Yours Truly".

I may not be the most persuasive or eloquent in my argumentation, nor someone you would take the time to listen to... but I am a very, very... fair man, and call it like I see it, and do not hold grudges very long for past discrepancies of opinion.

Continually beating people over the head with their mistakes sometimes doesn't help them see the error of there ways... so I'm embarking on a different tact... in the hope that you may soon find the error in yours.

"Kill 'em with kindness" is also an effective tactic. Sometimes... :smokey:

I'm very like you in many respects!

I agree with all you say. I do appreciate your likes, too. Believe it or not, even when mstone and I were at each other's throats, I was still giving him the odd like.

I'm afraid that sometimes it's fun to goad people, and you're such a good person to goad! But I should try to resist. Your phrase 'deserve to be happy,' I just find so broad as to be meaningless. Who can say what any of us deserve? Our Creator alone, dare I say it. ????
  • Reply 298 of 317

Thanks, Bing.

No, really, thanks for spreading this nonsense.

• Reply 299 of 317
    This time around I want a VESA mount.

The iMac already has that:

• Reply 300 of 317
    Quote:

Originally Posted by PhilBoogie View Post

The iMac already has that:

It wasn't available when I bought my current iMac, and I didn't know how great an arm was at that time anyways, so I wouldn't have gotten one, probably.  I discovered the arm after the arrival of the nMP, which I wanted to provide a small screen for.  Along the way I also changed out my desk and now have less room than before (down from 80 x 150 cm to 65 x 130).  With the iMac sitting atop two bags of A4 paper taking up a lot of space, yeah, now I want a VESA mounted iMac.