Sight unseen, Apple's competitors expect 'iWatch' to help establish wearable computing market

124»

Comments

• Reply 61 of 73
    themacman wrote: »
    Apple has not manufactured the iWatch which is why no parts have leaked. Not because of mfg issues, but because they don't want parts leaked before the announcement.

That's what I think. I would be floored if it has already reached manufacturing partners in China without leaking. NWE has a bounty on it, no doubt!
  • Reply 62 of 73
    Quote:

Originally Posted by dasanman69 View Post

That's totally wrong. You could have your a back up of your contacts on Backup Assistant but they were also on the device.

As far as lock in goes, read this.

http://www.cnet.com/news/steve-jobs-wanted-to-further-lock-customers-into-apples-ecosystem/

Forgot to say: Verizon's phone number data lock-in was long, long before iPhone was released.  

But no, you're not forced to use Apple anything.  Are you.

• Reply 63 of 73
    [COLOR=blue]"This is what we wanted," said Samsung European CEO Sunny Lee[/COLOR], when asked about Apple's anticipated "iWatch" reveal.

Yeah...right! Samsung wanted Apple to come out with a damn watch... Apple is going to reveal something Samsung never expected, and then to drive the point home, Apple executives will take Sunny Lee out to the white cube and publicly put a saddle on him and ride him around hollering, "Whose your Daddy now, Sunny?"
  • Reply 64 of 73
    Quote:

Originally Posted by TeaEarleGreyHot View Post

I'm eager to see Apple announce something else entirely. And at the end, they can say "Oh, and all those rumors about iWatches? Utter nonsense; we have no intent to produce a wrist-worn smart-watch: the niche is too small. But we were glad to see our competitors fritter away their resources and fall all over themselves trying to beat us to market with their half-baked toys. The media should NOT publish such rampant speculation and rumors!"

Except that they would never say something like that. It's a douchebag comment and it gives attention to folks that don't deserve it. 

They would announce what they want to announce and no comment any other questions like "hey what about the Apple Watch?"

• Reply 65 of 73
    Originally Posted by charlituna View Post

Except that they would never say something like that. It's a douchebag comment and it gives attention to folks that don't deserve it. 

Indeed. Apple has never made mention of what they’re not going to do save in passing about its competitors “groping around in the dark” or somesuch.

• Reply 66 of 73
    Samsung, LG, Motorola and others are simply looking an Apple product to copy.
    Simple.

Watch how Samsung will clone the Apple iWatch. It happened with smartphones, it will happen with iWatch.

Without Apple, Samsung is simply directionless. Samsung will throw up anything on the wall to see what sticks. Already it has gone through 6 iterations of its smartwatch in the past year.
  • Reply 67 of 73
    I see, I'm still on iphone 5 it's been a good phone for the past 2 years so I will be upgrading, I never plan on returning to android, just didn't like it and daughter has the galaxy 4s and wants to make the switch back to apple. I would like apple to do a tv line just to slap samsung down if anything else. While I say that there is a Samsung hanging on my wall... But would be interest in what apple could do with such a large package when they can do so much with a small one. Apple fan I am, but if anything i hate Microsoft more then android.
  • Reply 68 of 73
    What I expect from Apple is to catch the essence what they want the new device to be. Questioning every aspect of it. Does it have to be that way because of function or just because its used to be that way. Like getting rid of the querty keyboard on smartphones.
    Main problem with all categories is that its function, design is cemented and most companies doesnt take the time to rethink, innovate and finally break free from unnecessities. The mockups above are the perfect examples for that.
  • Reply 69 of 73
    dasanman69dasanman69 Posts: 13,002member
    sockrolid wrote: »
    Forgot to say: Verizon's phone number data lock-in was long, long before iPhone was released.  

But no, you're not forced to use Apple anything.  Are you.

No it wasn't. Contact data was always able to be transferred from one device to another.

Lock in doesn’t mean you're forced, it means it's difficult to leave.
  • Reply 70 of 73
    FULL OS X OR NO SALE!!!

Of it doesn't run Microsoft Office, it's just a toy for media consumption, telling time, being connected, and health & fitness tracking.
  • Reply 71 of 73
    Same. I seriously contemplated one of those Wacom (I think it was Wacom?!) versions years back. If only they had the Sony touch screens (use any pen as a stylus? Sign me up!)
  • Reply 72 of 73
    I think it's considered a classic in the genre and read by quite a few.
  • Reply 73 of 73
    Quote:

Originally Posted by fallenjt View Post

Don't think so. Luxury watch? how luxury: Rolex, Omega, Cartier or down to Movado? Apple would be so dumb to do things that they're not expertise. 2 types of wearable devices are for gender.

I agree, they learnt there lesson with that when they tried to compare the Apple HiFi with top end audio companies using stats nobody cared about as the proof.

The other manufacturers are probably right too. Even if Apple dominates the market, they will probably grow it enough that the others end up selling more with a lower market share than they would without Apple.