Apple invites fashion publications to Sept. 9 event, signaling likely 'iWatch' focus

Posted:
in Future Apple Hardware edited September 2014
With a large number of high profile fashion editors and bloggers invited to Apple's Sept. 9 media event, it's expected that the company wants to win the favor of the fashion industry for its anticipated entrance into the emerging wearable devices market, potentially positioning the "iWatch" as more of a chic statement than geeky gadget.

"iWatch" concept by Esben Oxholm.

Writers from top fashion publications have been invited to Apple's Tuesday event "in unprecedented numbers," according to Reuters, which listed Marie Claire and Fashionista among first-time invitees. Apple has reached out to the fashion industry in the past, but the company typically holds a specific, separate event in New York after products have been unveiled.

This year, Apple is holding its media event at the Flint Center in Cupertino, Calif. -- a venue considerably larger than its usual spot at the Yerba Buena Center in San Francisco. The additional seats at the venue have apparently afforded Apple the ability to bring fashion editors who are typically not among those at a keynote presentation.

Apple's interest in focusing on fashion has been signaled for some time: Last year, AppleInsider was first to report that Paul Deneve, former CEO, of French fashion house Yves Saint Laurent, took a position working on "special projects" at Apple. And this July, Apple also hired Patrick Pruniaux, former head of sales for Tag Heuer.

Apple also recruited Angela Ahrendts, another former fashion CEO from British label Burberry, to run its retail operations. Prior to Burberry, she served as president of Donna Karan International and on the executive board of Liz Claiborne.

Apple's interest in fashion, and the invitations sent to fashion editors, come as the company is widely expected to unveil its so-called "iWatch" at Tuesday's media event. The device is rumored to be equal parts gadget and fashion statement, and may come in a variety of styles, including two different screen sizes for men and women, to suit different tastes.

The company's hotly anticipated Tuesday event kicks off at 10 a.m. Pacific, 1 p.m. Eastern, and will be live streamed to Apple devices. AppleInsider will be live at the Flint Center with full coverage, and readers can install the official AppleInsider app for up-to-the-minute updates.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 157
    aaronjaaronj Posts: 1,595member
    Yikes. Considering that it's Fashion Week in NYC, there are going to be some busy fashion editors and bloggers this week! :)
  • Reply 2 of 157
    dacloodacloo Posts: 890member
    Can anyone explain to me what an iWatch could do that an iPhone can't? I'm not being ironic - I actually don't know what the added value of a smart watch is.
  • Reply 3 of 157
    solipsismxsolipsismx Posts: 19,566member
    dacloo wrote: »
    Can anyone explain to me what an iWatch could do that an iPhone can't?

Yes.
  • Reply 4 of 157
    apple ][apple ][ Posts: 9,233member

I'll be so glad when the real iWatch is finally released, because then I wont ever have to see any of these horrible mockups anymore.

And some people buy new TVs to watch the superbowl on. I don't give a crap about that, but I did recently buy a new 50" TV, and you can bet that I'll be watching the keynote live via Apple TV come tuesday!

Tuesday is going to be huge for Apple and all Apple fans!:smokey: 

I'm not even 100% certain what I'm going to get yet. But I will surely know as soon as the keynote is over!

• Reply 5 of 157
    Can anyone explain to me what an iWatch could do that an iPhone can't? I'm not being ironic - I actually don't know what the added value of a smart watch is.

Obviously everyone is just guessing at this point.
  • Reply 6 of 157
    apple ][ wrote: »
    I'll be so glad when the real iWatch is finally released, because then I wont ever have to see any of these horrible mockups anymore.

And some people buy new TVs to watch the superbowl on. I don't give a crap about that, but I did recently buy a new 50" TV, and you can bet that I'll be watching the keynote live via Apple TV come tuesday!

Tuesday is going to be huge for Apple and all Apple fans!:smokey:  

I'm not even 100% certain what I'm going to get yet. But I will surely know as soon as the keynote is over!

Just have your credit card ready.
  • Reply 7 of 157
    solipsismxsolipsismx Posts: 19,566member
    Obviously everyone is just guessing at this point.

Guessing on if or what an iWatch will contain, but it should be quite obvious how a device worn on your wrist could offer functionality that wouldn't be possible by a device kept in your pocket and used in your hand.
  • Reply 8 of 157
    Quote:

Originally Posted by dacloo View Post

Dude!

It's going to be able to do a gazillion things that your iPhone can not do!

It's going to be a complete health diagnostics device right on your wrist, crammed full of all sorts of advanced and highly accurate sensors. Far more advanced and accurate than anything else that is on the market. An iPhone has none of those things! It will also have other features such as NFC perhaps. Payments from an iWatch?

Actually, I have no damn idea, and I am just speculating and having fun. But you can bet your ass that it will do things that no iPhone can do.

• Reply 9 of 157
    Quote:

Originally Posted by SpamSandwich View Post

Just have your credit card ready.

I'm ready all right, and so are my cards!:)

• Reply 10 of 157
    tundraboytundraboy Posts: 1,884member
    Looking back at my earliest posts about iWatch:

3/4/13
    "The tech will be Apple but if the market pitch is like Swatch, watch out! Designer tie-ins, limited model runs, ad placements in fashion mags, special one-off designs. If they do this right, you'll have people buying several of these, one for each day and mood. Swatch but with a higher price range and higher margins. Aside from the usual outlets, they'll be selling these in boutiques and the fashion counters of major department stores. That's another leg on the stool for you that extends Apple's presence into an arena where it has mostly been in the periphery."

3/6/13
    "My prediction is iWatch will be as much a fashion accessory as a tech device. A lot of its advertising presence will be in places where Apple never used to advertise such as fashion magazines, during major city fashion weeks, etc. and aside from the usual outlets, it will be sold in boutiques and dept. store fashion counters."

3/31/13
    "Among all the tech brands, only Apple has the cachet to branch into the fashion realm. They should take advantage of this and open up a completely new market to expand in. They will own this segment for years. What brand smart watch do you imagine fashion houses will want to be identified with on the pages of Vogue or on New York Fashion Week? Samsung, Google, Microsoft, or Apple?"

This was around the time when AAPL was hitting its post 700 trough in the low 400s and everyone was proclaiming that Apple has run out of ideas.
  • Reply 11 of 157

Oh damn. It's official now. It's on like Donkey Kong.

• Reply 12 of 157
    tundraboytundraboy Posts: 1,884member
    Quote:

I'm not being facetious here but no, I don't know.  If I did, I would be working at Apple instead of posting the silly things that I say here.  If anyone can figure out the irresistible selling proposition for smart watches, it would be Apple.  My guess, aside from the health monitoring thing is more secure authentication for a very convenient (no pulling out your iPhone; don't underestimate the lure of convenience) and very safe (equalling two-factor authentication) cardless payments system.  And at least one thing else that none of us have ever dreamed about.

• Reply 13 of 157
    Quote:

I don't think anyone will be able to answer that until Sept 9. Including Samsung and Google.

• Reply 14 of 157
    It adds fitness stuff
  • Reply 15 of 157

Until you've used a smart watch attached to your phone, don't question it, try it.

Bought a Pebble, love being able to answer calls from the watch, knowing who's ringing without having the phone visible, alternatively drop the call, brilliant.

I can leave the phone on my desk and go make a coffee and still NOT miss a call, or an SMS or an iMessage, or a Notification - you decide what hits the watch display.  OK I might answer the call then have to run back to the phone to talk, but I can live with that.

I have rubbish eyesight - something to do with middle age - being able to have a watch face I can see without glasses is great.  

Biggest complaint? fragmented Apps and Watch face stores and web sites, which we know just WON'T happen with an Apple device, period.

Might even be able to take the fitbit off the other wrist, the only limitations are in your imagination. answer the door?, turn off the lights? turn on the TV...

• Reply 16 of 157

Potential advantages of an Apple iWatch versus Apple iPhone:
    • Unassuming notifications (e.g. FaceTime, iMessage, etc.)
    • Unobtrusive mobile payment authorization (biometric authentication)
    • Inconspicuous biometric authentication (various health measurements; e.g. automatic login to your iMac when within 30 cm)
    • Discrete, periodic health measurements (blood glucose, blood pressure, heart rate, heart rate variability, hydration, oxygen saturation, posture, respiratory rate, stress, temperature)
    • Automatically contact emergency services in the event of an emergency (based on various health measurements; e.g. fall detection)
    • Piezoelectric quartz crystal (self-charging mechanism for weeks or months of battery life)
    • Behavior modification (application of heat to the skin; e.g. waking users)

* blood glucose and blood pressure are the most challenging but potentially the most profitable
  • Reply 17 of 157
    asciiascii Posts: 5,936member

Wow, they must be really confident of it's looks to invite fashion critics. This is not going to be like other smart watches then (at least in the hardware department).

• Reply 18 of 157
    Quote:

Because an iWatch is always worn on the arm unlike an iPhone, it can do somethings the iPhone can't do as well:

1. Aways-On Clock

2. Body Temperature

3. Heart Rate

4. EKG

5. Blood sugar measurement

6. Blood Oxygenation measurement

7. Sleep Oxygenation measurement

8. Steps and distance moved

9. Exercise activity

Think about the Nike Fuel Band on Steroids monitoring your state of health while also telling the time.

And it will do so while also looking like fashion jewelry.  With several models, Apple seeks to sell you several of them.

• Reply 19 of 157

I would like to see solar charging on the iWatch, just like my Citizen Watch. 

It could also have movement charging like on Seiko watches.

This way, it will charge itself.

• Reply 20 of 157
    koopkoop Posts: 337member

I'm very excited for a smart watch for my iPhone. I'd love to have the ability at work to glance at messages, alerts and appointments on my watch. Would also be nice to have it couple as a health device to encourage me to exercise and burn calories. If it's under $300, i'll probably get it.