Apple's massive fall lineup reportedly causing shipping delays for other manufacturers

Comments

• Reply 21 of 67
    Originally Posted by ThePixelDoc View Post

Please explain: land across the continent... and what 'Big One' you're looking for. Might be helpful before booking my next trip... image

Why, in some universes, the Supreme Court rules that the Louisiana Purchase is unconstitutional, and the United States hits a roadblock in its infancy regarding westward expansion.

But the big one, of course, is the one in which manifest destiny takes hold permanently and the charge of the nation becomes to unite the world under its republic. A world which by December 1860 has a United States of this size.

Click to embiggen (which apparently doesn’t work), and there’s an even embiggenerier one here (~33000x~16900). At least, there will be as soon as DeviantArt figures out how to handle a file that large (hopefully it works). The old one’s up right now.

• Reply 22 of 67
    canukstorm wrote: »

I should try that some time, shifting dimensions.
    You don't have to try it, it's automatic. The older you get, the more your dimensions shift!
  • Reply 23 of 67
    DATELINE: South Keora

Samsung announced today that while they have the capacity to produce product for the American Holiday market, they can not secure a sipping method that can get their product to the USA shores before the end of 2014.

Not a problem. If they're sitting in shipping containers in freight warehouses, they still count as "shipped." Bragging rights: intact.
  • Reply 24 of 67
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Blitz1 View Post

What idiotic article is this?

How many iPhones get in 1 45'' container? 5.000?

50.000.000 units (over a quarter) = 10.000 containers

How many containers on a panamax? 5000?

You need 2 panamaxes to ship a quarters volume.

And someone trying to say that there isn't enough shipping capacity?

That's why Tim Cook is the CEO of Apple, and you are...?

Logistic is not just simply calculating how many items you can carry by a plane. If you google it, there is a reporter did a in-depth analysis earlier this year on FedEx & Apple. FedEx uses 777 (their largest plane) for air shipping Apple products. Each 777 can carry 450K of iPhones and cost $240k to charter. Apple sold 53.1 mils of iPhone during last year's holiday. However, iPhone is not the only product. There are hundreds of millions more of iPad, MacBooks, iMacs, lightning cables, accessories...etc. They also need to adjust what to ship out in real time (obviously they cannot just ship out iPhones in red color only if everyone want white) And Apple is not the only one who wants their products to ship out from China. Other people want to use the plane too. You think FedEx has plenty of planes just like there are plenty of trucks? It takes 15 hours for 777 to fly from China to their main hub in Tenn.

Even FexEx has the ability to ship that massive loads for Apple by their planes, the real choke point is man power. How many persons/trucks does it require to deliver 53 mils of iPhone to each one's front door? And FedEx delivers other stuff too like orders from Amazon. You are probably thinking we live in the perfect world too. There is no traffic, no truck refueling time, and delivery personnels don't have to eat & rest. Last year I ordered an iPad during holiday season and they delivered on 9pm at night!

That's why Amazon missed some of delivery times last year and they are looking into drone option. Because FedEx & UPS alone just cannot make it for the huge demands for product deliveries.

• Reply 25 of 67
    (Deleted. Too many good prior responses to a silly post).
  • Reply 26 of 67

That's probably why my eBay order, the one that appeared to be from a US seller but turned out to ship from China, hasn't arrived yet. It's Apple's fault!!

• Reply 27 of 67
    mike1mike1 Posts: 3,275member
    Quote:

They are talking air-freight. UPS and Fed-Ex don't care about ocean shipments. Apple will ship all products by air until the pipeline is full and then ocean shipments begin. Apple sucks up practically all the air-freight capacity during the 3rd quarter of every year.

• Reply 28 of 67
    citycity Posts: 522member

Standard Oil had government anti-trust action in 1909 under the Sherman Antitrust Act when they had a monopoly on transporting their oil by railroad. 

• Reply 29 of 67
    (Deleted. Too many good prior responses to a silly post).

I understand if you do a top-down read and reply post-by-post but I typically edit my post if I see I've been pipped. You noticed that the person had been sufficiently responded to so why do people still continue to repeat the same info?
  • Reply 30 of 67
    eriamjheriamjh Posts: 1,630member
    And people complain that Apple has too much in the bank overseas, etc.

It's exactly THIS that having over $100 billion in cash allows one to do: buy up and guarantee shipping for your products. Not to mention, building sapphire manufacturing plants, or making huge investments into new technology instead of waiting for someone else to develop it.

Apple leverages it's massive cash hoard to enable it to do things less-profitable companies can't.

Countdown to sept 9th....
  • Reply 31 of 67
    blitz1 wrote: »

Try again. Apple will likely ship that many phones to the US for launch weekend alone. Plus that again in ipads, then there's the possible wearable, Apple TV box, new cinema displays, iMacs etc.

And they are unlikely to only launch in the US for either idevice or the wearable because that is asking for additional reseller crap.

And these are likely air shipments. Not ship. So yes Apple could pull off a near monopoly of FedEx, DHL etc for the first couple of weeks of launch to the point of giving Samsung etc migraines. Especially if they spread out the launches over a month or so. iPhones on 19th, ipads two weeks later, wearable and ATV two weeks after that. Computer kit two weeks after that.
  • Reply 32 of 67
    mpantone wrote: »
    This article is about air freight, not ship-based freight. Airplanes have less capacity than ships.

Apple is willing to pay a premium for overnight air freight from their suppliers in China to points all around the world, rather than putting their inventory on boats which might take a month to get to market.

Makes sense from a security point of view. A couple of weeks at sea, heck even one week, is asking for someone to try something
  • Reply 33 of 67
    realistic wrote: »

If it is actually for Apple products (most probable), I would not want to be the manufacturer(s) who could not supply the product in time for those shipments or the shipping company that couldn't handle those deliveries.

You wouldn't get a second chance if Apple had any other choice. If they don't then there are likely penalties built into the contract.
  • Reply 34 of 67
    solipsismx wrote: »

I understand if you do a top-down read and reply post-by-post but I typically edit my post if I see I've been pipped. You noticed that the person had been sufficiently responded to so why do people still continue to repeat the same info?

Laziness? Inertia? Indifference? Like seeing their pseudonyms in 'print'?
  • Reply 35 of 67
    I doubt any of the shipping is via boat; too slow.
  • Reply 36 of 67
    Quote:

Apple doesn't do panamaxes.  iPhone shipments are entirely airfreight.  It's a lot quicker that way and a bad storm won't cause Apple to lose an entire shipment of millions of devices.  I still think people are simply guessing that Apple is tying up all those shipments.  Certain anti-Apple factions try to blame Apple for all sorts of nonsense.  Samsung ships far more smartphones than Apple ever did by a factor of two.

• Reply 37 of 67
    solipsismxsolipsismx Posts: 19,566member
    Holy crap! People are still responding to [@] Blitz1[/@] with the same info.
  • Reply 38 of 67
    charlituna wrote: »
    realistic wrote: »

If it is actually for Apple products (most probable), I would not want to be the manufacturer(s) who could not supply the product in time for those shipments or the shipping company that couldn't handle those deliveries.

You wouldn't get a second chance if Apple had any other choice. If they don't then there are likely penalties built into the contract.

I don't think any company would appreciate you not meeting their datelines. Apple simply happens to be in a position where they can make the repercussions more serious for you.????
  • Reply 39 of 67
    Originally Posted by SolipsismX View Post

Holy crap! People are still responding to Blitz1 with the same info.

That’ll teach him to ask a question.

• Reply 40 of 67

I think the 5.5 inch will be the bigger launch or have more people switching back to iphone or whatever.  I dont think any big android users are moving into a smaller iphone until the 5.5 is presented.  I love droid but some people want the iphone also so that to me will be the real big even when the 5.5 happens.