Asus upcoming 13" Ultrabook with 3k screen

Posted:
in General Discussion edited September 2014

http://www.techradar.com/us/news/mobile-computing/laptops/asus-claims-the-ux305-is-the-world-s-slimmest-13-inch-ultrabook-1263834

Been a longtime Macbook Air fan but sadly have been soured with too many trips to the genius bar over the last year for freezes and crashes, had a hard drive go bad.

Was looking at this one as a possible alternative.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 3
    MarvinMarvin Posts: 15,322moderator
    kerry wrote: »
    Been a longtime Macbook Air fan but sadly have been soured with too many trips to the genius bar over the last year for freezes and crashes, had a hard drive go bad.

Do you mean a hard drive or was it a model with an SSD in it? The original Air models came with platter drives but now have SSDs. A failing hard drive is something that can happen with any machine so it shouldn't be used as a basis for buying a different system. Still, if you're looking for a new machine, the Air still hasn't gone Retina yet, unlike the Asus.
  • Reply 2 of 3
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Marvin View Post

Do you mean a hard drive or was it a model with an SSD in it? The original Air models came with platter drives but now have SSDs. A failing hard drive is something that can happen with any machine so it shouldn't be used as a basis for buying a different system. Still, if you're looking for a new machine, the Air still hasn't gone Retina yet, unlike the Asus.

Given the price of my Macbook compared to a PC I'm expecting alot more reliability than I received.  Plus the service at the Genius bar at my local store is pretty lacking. Tried to argue with me over replacement cost when I had Apple Care, manager sorted them out after I had a talk with him.

I guess I'll have to see what the price is on the Asus before making a decision. If its significantly cheaper then I don't see the reasoning (especially given my experience) behind buying another Macbook.  Such is the pace of innovation, Aplle great but they certainly don't have a monopoly on it.

• Reply 3 of 3
    MarvinMarvin Posts: 15,322moderator
    Given the price of my Macbook compared to a PC I'm expecting alot more reliability than I received.

They use the same parts in a few areas though. Apple tends to select higher grade components where they can test them and they have more control here with SSDs. HDDs in Apple machines could be no more reliable than in a PC as they are sealed off-the-shelf parts and susceptible to damage from heat and movement.
    Plus the service at the Genius bar at my local store is pretty lacking. Tried to argue with me over replacement cost when I had Apple Care, manager sorted them out after I had a talk with him.

Yeah, they shouldn't have argued over that when you had Applecare.
    I guess I'll have to see what the price is on the Asus before making a decision. If its significantly cheaper then I don't see the reasoning (especially given my experience) behind buying another Macbook.  Such is the pace of innovation, Aplle great but they certainly don't have a monopoly on it.

It depends on if you value the OS X system. If you can use Windows just fine, you will always find a cheaper deal with PC hardware. It would be a good idea to wait until Apple brings out a Retina Macbook Air to compare it to the Asus.