Review roundup: Motorola's Moto 360 is the best smartwatch yet, but poor battery life is unacceptabl

1235»

Comments

• Reply 81 of 97
    MarvinMarvin Posts: 15,309moderator
    solipsismx wrote: »
    A round smart watch is slavish skeuomorphism - something Jony Ive would be expected to despise. A round shape is for a device where a mechanical hand rotates around a dial: it is pointless for a smart watch.

The Moto 360 reminds me of all those 2006 era "smartphones" which Apple trumped with a dramatic new design. I would expect the same thing to happen when Apple announces its offering.

I see your point but feel it's superficial and shortsighted.

You are correct that the round face was when there was hands rotating around them but you're ignoring how much style plays a part in anything we wear. Even digital watches are very often using a round face despite having no reason to (and analog watches having rectangular faces for the sake of style).

I think if Apple made a square watch, it would flop. The iPod watch showed what that would look like:

[VIDEO]

As for the 360, perhaps they can use those new transparent solar cells:

http://www.newenergytechnologiesinc.com/technology/solarwindow

The watch should mainly use battery while it's being used so would be uncovered. The same goes for smartphones really. I'm not sure how well it would charge it but an extra 30-50% would be worthwhile. The 360 should consider something like this before they do a big production run.

Another thing that hasn't been focused on much is what iOS would look like on a watch. It wouldn't be iOS as we see now. I doubt it would be a 3rd OS as it would behave much like iOS but the UI would have to be completely different just like Android Wear is vs Android.
  • Reply 82 of 97
    solipsismxsolipsismx Posts: 19,566member
    Marvin wrote: »
    I think if Apple made a square watch, it would flop. The iPod watch showed what that would look like:

video: ]

As for the 360, perhaps they can use those new transparent solar cells:

http://www.newenergytechnologiesinc.com/technology/solarwindow

The watch should mainly use battery while it's being used so would be uncovered. The same goes for smartphones really. I'm not sure how well it would charge it but an extra 30-50% would be worthwhile. The 360 should consider something like this before they do a big production run.

1) I'm all for the round display. Even last year when these rumours started there was no round display being mass produced (that I was aware of) but I repeatedly stated that I think a round display would be needed. That said, there are plenty of stylish watches that don't have round displays, even though I think they pale in comparison to the number of stylish watches with round displays. Funny how there are so many round display on shipping watches and concepts saying they are launching this year when last year the best example I could find is Nest's display which is actually a square but the size of the bezel allow them to hide the corners.

2) I think Apple needs many styles and utilities for kids to blue collar to fashionistas to make this work. If they aren't going to allow 3rd-party developers to make apps then they could have various display sizes, shapes, resolutions and pixel densities, like they do with the iPods. Remember the iPod Nano display changing every year for awhile.

3) Solar (or kinetic) charging would be nice but I wonder how effective that would be, even in direct sunlight. Even if it was just 1% per hour that would at least allow you to keep some of the juice flowing or let you get some charge every day if yo were, say, hiking the grand canyon for a week. What is the cost in size and complexity for solar, kinetic, or even wireless charging for such a device?
  • Reply 83 of 97
    I find it pretty ironic that the consensus here with the apple lemmings is that Apple will solve the battery life problem with their version of a smartwatch (if they ever release one). The reason it is ironic is that the iphone has terrible battery life of the current choice of premium smartphones. I dont see how folk are so confident that apple's watch will have great battery life when they havn't figured out how to have decent battery life in the iphone yet. Kinda funny really.
  • Reply 84 of 97
    MarvinMarvin Posts: 15,309moderator
    solipsismx wrote: »
    I think a round display would be needed. That said, there are plenty of stylish watches that don't have round displays, even though I think they pale in comparison to the number of stylish watches with round displays. Funny how there are so many round display on shipping watches and concepts saying they are launching this year when last year the best example I could find is Nest's display which is actually a square but the size of the bezel allow them to hide the corners.

I noticed in a picture of Marc Newson, he's wearing a watch with a square back and a round face:

I suppose that's an option but I still like the fully round bezel because it helps you forget it's a computer. When you see the Galaxy, you think that's a tiny smartphone on a strap; when you see the 360, it doesn't look anything like a smartphone.
  • Reply 85 of 97
    mcdavemcdave Posts: 1,927member
    I'm hoping iWatch is a continuity device; able to 'borrow' functions from an iPhone maybe via the Extensions framework (via a custom Extension format or hijacking the notification centre Extensions).

Now that would be something.

McD
  • Reply 86 of 97
    Go google images of the Moto 360. Take a look at some of the images that show it from a partial side angle (you will be hard pressed to find any that show it directly from the side). Especailly look at the side angle images where it's on a person's wrist. A woman's wrist. That beast is THICK! It's spec says its 1/2" thick. A 1/2" watch sticking up from your wrist is huge, on any wrist. I cannot imagine any woman wearing this. and not very many men either. It's my sincere hope that when we see the iWatch everyone's first impression is that it is svelte in profile. If so, this Moto 360, barely released, will appear to be a relic of the past; a fat old brick of failed technology. One can hope. :-)

It is actually under half an inch - it comes in at around .45 inches (11.5mm).  And when compared to other men's watches, that actually comes in under many of them.  It also is approximate in terms of diameter.  So when you compare this to men's watches, it just isn't that remarkably big - it is average.  I think Moto 360 could reasonably be seen as approximating men's wrist watches in form factor.  Now, it is quite large for a women's watch, but let's be fair here: there are also some pretty large women's watches out there.

Go to amazon and search up some men's watches, such as omega, rolex, breitling, invicta, etc.  It's not unusual to see case thicknesses ranging from 13 to 18mm, which is actually substantially thicker than the Moto 360.

Battery life, if you ask me, is the real issue here.  A watch that won't get through 24 hours is pretty useless as a time piece, in my opinion.

Over a centimetre thick is average?! That's gargantuan!
  • Reply 87 of 97
    To Solip:

Re watch shapes: I agree. You can get stylish rectangular watches, but they tend to be small ladies watches. I don't think they would work well in a large size.
  • Reply 88 of 97
    cnocbuicnocbui Posts: 3,613member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Benjamin Frost View Post

There are lots worse.  I hate them, but have you seen Nixon watches?

Then there's this:

• Reply 89 of 97
    Quote:

Originally Posted by crysisftw View Post

I think Moto 360 is definitely the best "Smart watch" right now. Battery backup is abysmal, but for a first attempt (for a non-Apple company), it's rather impressive and handsome.

I'd like to see Apple's shot at it (,not that I like the whole concept of smart watches, but) to see how ingeniously they tackle engineering problems like

a display that's always on,

interface that pop-us only when you want to see it,

good battery backup (at least a week on single charge),

great set of features that can complement the idea of what a smart watch can do,

a UI that can make good use of a small screen,

excellent sunlight readability,

and of course, looks and design.

But again, I have high hopes, because you know, it's Apple we're talking about.

I would like to agree with you. For a non-apple company to achieve this innovation is impressive. Also, I expect Apple to come up with ways to remedy identified issues in smart watches.

• Reply 90 of 97
    cnocbui wrote: »

There are lots worse.

Indeed. Just looking at sport watches, these can get pretty fugly. Not that it matters if you're using it for just that purpose, but a smart watch from Apple you'll want to wear all day.

Left to right: Suunto Ambit2, Garmin Fenix, Timex Run Trainer 2.0, Polar RC3 GPS, TomTom Runner, Garmin FR610, Garmin FR620, Garmin FR220, Garmin FR210

http://www.dcrainmaker.com/2013/09/garmins-running-watches.html
  • Reply 91 of 97
    Quote:

It might seem gargantuan, but if you take the time to look at the specs for men's watches - and I'm talking about luxury watches from makers like Omega, Breitling, Rolex, Tissot, etc. - you'll find it is not uncommon for them to range from 11 to 18mm.  I'm wearing one right now that is probably around 14mm.  11.5mm is just not that thick when compared to your average men's watch.

• Reply 92 of 97
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Thomas Tupper View Post

Quote:

It might seem gargantuan, but if you take the time to look at the specs for men's watches - and I'm talking about luxury watches from makers like Omega, Breitling, Rolex, Tissot, etc. - you'll find it is not uncommon for them to range from 11 to 18mm.  I'm wearing one right now that is probably around 14mm.  11.5mm is just not that thick when compared to your average men's watch.

I've just measured my watch. It's about 4.5mm thick. I wouldn't tolerate much thicker than that; maybe a millimetre or two. 14mm would be way too thick for me.

• Reply 93 of 97

Just a thought. The name Moto 360 was derived from its circular form?

• Reply 94 of 97
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by jameskatt2 View Post

Ha ha ha ha ha. If this is the best Android can do then Android watch stinks.

Go ahead, strap a hockey puck to your wrist.

Anything less than a one week battery life on the wrist is junk.

It's official, jamesskatt2 thinks Apple Watch is junk. "Ha ha ha ha ha." 

Yeah, I've been waiting all week for this one (knew it was coming).

• Reply 95 of 97
    masterchat wrote: »
    Just a thought. The name Moto 360 was derived from its circular form?

Yes, with a generous addition of 45° for the flat tyre.
  • Reply 96 of 97

Thank you for the info. I was wondering if Moto 360 is better than the iWatch.