Vague schematics & details hint at mic, speaker, rectangular design for Apple's 'iWatch'

Comments

• Reply 21 of 65
    Here are the images optimized for the web:

http://imgur.com/a/EFfLZ

It's really not worth the click though.
  • Reply 22 of 65
    Yes, even though it has a sapphire 'crystal', the people will be clamouring for a 'screen protector' and a case for the iWatch. I won't say that they are stupid beyond belief. I will leave that for others to say.
  • Reply 23 of 65
    Quote:

Originally Posted by quamb View Post

Kidding me right? Everyone will be disappointed, the internet flooded with hate filled rants and doom n gloom. This is how it goes when Apple announce anything, let alone a brand new product.

No matter what Apple announce, no matter how great, or how bad, internet forums are going to be an ugly place to be around this week.

These will be the teenage geeks who will complain since their 'vision' of the perfect iWatch wasn't met. Yet Apple will sell loads and loads of them and those same kids will end up buying them anyways because all the hotties in skool dig fashion and Apple is still a trendsetter.

• Reply 24 of 65

Those that are complaining that we should just wait 24 hours... tomorrow for me will get here sooner than these pictures finally load .grrrrrrrrr

• Reply 25 of 65

Round screen is stupid and non functional for a computer. I want a wrist computer, not a watch. If I want a watch, I buy a watch. The best wrist computer until now is that Samsung Gear they show the other day. I hope Apple makes a square one. Would you want a round screen for your desktop monitor? http://media.liveauctiongroup.net/i/13256/13427466_1.jpg?v=8CF3C5C70B7A2B0

• Reply 26 of 65
    Quote:

Originally Posted by digitalclips View Post

The potential for scuba could be amazing with the health kit and biometric monitoring and some specialized app.

> Is it because I am running a beta safari or is anyone else seeing funky graphics loading on AI the past few days? I see weird, colored vertical lines as images slowly load in.

no mbr 2013 fully loaded on good connection - i see slowness, vertical bars etc.... terrible for a tech site

• Reply 27 of 65
    Quote:

Originally Posted by quamb View Post

Kidding me right? Everyone will be disappointed, the internet flooded with hate filled rants and doom n gloom. This is how it goes when Apple announce anything, let alone a brand new product.

No matter what Apple announce, no matter how great, or how bad, internet forums are going to be an ugly place to be around this week.

Ugly is why we come here.

• Reply 28 of 65
    rogifanrogifan Posts: 10,669member
    These will be the teenage geeks who will complain since their 'vision' of the perfect iWatch wasn't met. Yet Apple will sell loads and loads of them and those same kids will end up buying them anyways because all the hotties in skool dig fashion and Apple is still a trendsetter.
    Unfortunately the tech press has decided that no smart watch is cool unless it looks like the Moto Almost 360. I fully expect the Verge, Engadget, etc. to be hating on whatever Apple announces because the display won't be round. Won't matter what the functionality is, how cool the software might be. It will be judged solely on looks compares to the Moto. Personally I think the Moto Almost 360 looks like a cheaper Timex you'd get at Target.
  • Reply 29 of 65
    williamhwilliamh Posts: 1,033member
    Using Siri is tough at 200m!
  • Reply 30 of 65
    antkm1antkm1 Posts: 1,441member

I won't be surprised if this iWearable is just a wrist-worth device.  However, I would imagine it to be more useful to a larger array of lifestyles if it weren't confined to a wrist strap and had the ability to be clipped onto you clothes or worn as a dongle either around your neck on a laniard or from your belt loop.  It's never going to be an aesthetic that's universally appareling for all aspects of life.  To be truly useful in every situation, the option to partially conceal it at times would be more desirable than just confined to your wrist.  The fact that they have hired on more fashion talent will probably be telling as to what the final design will be, though.  i've said before, i haven't worn a watch in over 15 years (and even then i used a pocket watch) so if it's just a wrist worn device...I will need a lot of convincing to buy this.

• Reply 31 of 65
    Quote:

Originally Posted by blackbook View Post

Oh I didn't know you already saw the final iWatch?

Honestly everyone should wait 24 hours before freaking out (one way or the other).

Did you actually read his post? There was no "freaking out" at all in his post. Also you are asking people on an Apple rumour website to relax the day before a major Apple keynote event where they will likely release a new iPhone design and a brand-new wearable device. Give your head a shake. Or better yet, a non-Apple rumour site might be more appropriate for you.

• Reply 32 of 65
    Quote:

... and appears to incorporate an inductive loop antenna for charging.

Yes it does... and I wonder if the next MacBooks will have inductive chargers under the palm-rest areas ;)

• Reply 33 of 65

If you see a stylus, they blew it.

Other than that, I'm happy to sit this out for, ooh, 26 hours...

• Reply 34 of 65
    radarthekatradarthekat Posts: 3,842moderator

--- iWatch Predictions ---

There will be a fairly expensive version of the iWatch. 

Apple's hiring away of an LVMH sales VP, reported back in July, suggests that the iWatch will be more expensive, at least in some incarnations, than merely a $400 competitor to the geeky and chunky offerings currently defining the space. It just doesn't seem likely such a person, already at the top in the world of luxury watches, would jump ship from that prestigious position to hawk $400 consumer electronic wearables. The iWatch, or whatever it's named, will take Apple significantly upmarket. Those rumors of a $1000+ priced variant seem like they might have a good chance of being accurate.

Confidence in this prediction: HIGH

The high end models will have a round display.

The expensive version will look like a high-end luxury watch (refined body/bezel/band) with only the watch face betraying its smart internals. It will sit well alongside a Tag Heuer, Patek Philippe or other luxury watch. Even though there are luxury watches with rectangular faces (The Rolex Prince comes to mind), the vast majority are round and this tradition will hold, in my opinion.  Form and style will take precedence over functional efficiency.

There will be a $400 every-day-wear model.

It will be an object of desire, refined while also very practical.

Apple will enter into partnerships with high-end watch makers.

The real target is the upmarket fashion model that will define Apple as the purveyor of the preferred OS and ecosystem to the luxury watchmakers. This is a theory of mine I'm gaining more confidence in. Apple knows that fashion implies a wide array of choices and it makes sense to be the 'Intel Inside', so to speak, for a significant cut of the revenue, in the high end realm of smart watches, than to attempt to gear up manufacturing of your own broad line of designs. Make one or two incarnations that show off the tech in a high-end fashionable watch body, then invite the luxury watchmakers of the world into a partnership of great mutual benefit.

Confidence in this prediction: MEDIUM

• Reply 35 of 65

Looks like the editors at AppleInsider do not understand how to reduce image file sizes.

• Reply 36 of 65
    rogifanrogifan Posts: 10,669member
    --- iWatch Predictions ---

There will be a fairly expensive version of the iWatch. 
    Apple's hiring away of an LVMH sales VP, reported back in July, suggests that the iWatch will be more expensive, at least in some incarnations, than merely a $400 competitor to the geeky and chunky offerings currently defining the space. It just doesn't seem likely such a person, already at the top in the world of luxury watches, would jump ship from that prestigious position to hawk $400 consumer electronic wearables. The iWatch, or whatever it's named, will take Apple significantly upmarket. Those rumors of a $1000+ priced variant seem like they might have a good chance of being accurate.

The high end models will have a round display.
    The expensive version will look like a high-end luxury watch (refined body/bezel/band) with only the watch face betraying its smart internals. It will sit well alongside a Tag Heuer, Patek Philippe or other luxury watch. Even though there are luxury watches with rectangular faces (The Rolex Prince comes to mind), the vast majority are round and this tradition will hold, in my opinion.  Form and style will take precedence over functional efficiency.

There will be a $400 every-day-wear model.
    It will be an object of desire, refined while also very practical.

Apple will enter into partnerships with high-end watch makers.
    The real target is the upmarket fashion model that will define Apple as the purveyor of the preferred OS and ecosystem to the luxury watchmakers. This is a theory of mine I'm gaining more confidence in. Apple knows that fashion implies a wide array of choices and it makes sense to be the 'Intel Inside', so to speak, for a significant cut of the revenue, in the high end realm of smart watches, than to attempt to gear up manufacturing of your own broad line of designs. Make one or two incarnations that show off the tech in a high-end fashionable watch body, then invite the luxury watchmakers of the world into a partnership of great mutual benefit.
    Confidence in this prediction: MEDIUM

So, what you make of this leak then? Not legit? Some have compared it to an iPod nano on the wrist. But that big structure and inviting fashion reporters to the event has thrown me for a loop. You don't need to invite fashion reporters if all you're announcing is an iPod nano on the wrist.
  • Reply 37 of 65
    wizard69wizard69 Posts: 13,377member
    ralphmouth wrote: »
    Looks like the editors at AppleInsider do not understand how to reduce image file sizes.

Maybe, actually a good possibility. However people are missing one thing here. Big pictures make zooming in viable. If you want to see detail you can.
  • Reply 38 of 65
    justp1ayin wrote: »
    Remember that apple designs hardware and software, so obviously the software would be made for a round watch if they made a round watch.

I'd be disappointed if they released a rectangular watch... It'll look like every other smart watch looks. Nerdy. I don't mind being a nerd but I don't like to walk around looking like the douchebags who wear the google glass. Plus a rectangular watch doesn't scream fashion unless they did something amazing... Seems pointless to invite fashion press to cover something people from a fashionable standpoint won't use.

But yes I guess it would be easier to put an app on a rectangular watch.
    I've been getting many compliments on my 1 Face Watch for the past couple years www.1facewatch.com

Even back then when I got it in 2012 people thought it was an Apple watch. It's not enormous and looks fine on my wrist which is not terribly large to begin with. I think people will be pleased with a rectangular watch that will surely have enough functions to make the design worthwhile.
  • Reply 39 of 65
    There are very nice looking square watches...
    [IMG]http://www.ablogtowatch.com/wp-content/uploads/2014/07/Tag-Heuer-Monaco-V4-Tourbillon-5.jpg[/IMG]

The bulbous body shown in those leaked images does not look very good.
    I hope Apple will offer something that looks like a traditional high-end watch.
  • Reply 40 of 65
    Keeping my fingers crossed for a round face in addition to the square/rectangular model. Just personal preference. I'm sure it'll look good regardless though