Rumor: Apple's next-gen handsets will be named 'iPhone 6' and 'iPhone 6 Plus'

Comments

• Reply 41 of 109
    MacProMacPro Posts: 19,727member
    What’s sarcasm about that? This is garbage.

Well obviously it was sarcasm, he said 'waiting' ... you lost it a long time ago! :D
  • Reply 42 of 109
    icoco3icoco3 Posts: 1,474member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by iJalex View Post

So tomorrow will find out for sure.... And after thats will start getting leaks on iphone 7 *¥*• .... If anyone doesn't want to wait for appleinsider to update you apple is streaming it live. www.apple.com click on counter. But they do get kinda drawn out so you might just want to wait and read it here.

Or just watch it later that evening from comport of your own home....but then again, who could wait? :)

• Reply 43 of 109
    malaxmalax Posts: 1,598member

For people new to the Apple party, don't forget that two of Apple's biggest products (at the time) where the Apple II+ and the Mac Plus.  So a) Apple it wouldn't be unprecedented for Apple to include "plus" in a product name, but b) it could be either + or Plus.  Having said that, what percentage of the Apple workforce (and senior leadership) were at Apple when those products came out?

Personally, I will be somewhat surprised if Apple drops the current 5s size completely.  It would seem to be an admission that the iPhone has been too small all along (which I don't believe).

• Reply 44 of 109
    pmzpmz Posts: 3,433member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

What’s sarcasm about that? This is garbage.

LOL! The "completely losing your mind" part was supposed to be sarcasm...but I guess just more of an exaggeration.

I knew how much you'd love this, though.

• Reply 45 of 109
    malaxmalax Posts: 1,598member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Interdyne View Post

The fact that AI doesn't seem to understand what the 5c was is kind of sad. For the last time, the 5c was not the same as the 5. Its radios worked on China Mobile, that's the carrier with 793 million subscribers. The c in iPhone 5c stands for China.

BS.  Product names are chosen to communicate with the end user (in subtle or non-subtle ways).  Show me any evidence where "iPhone 5c" was used to communicate the "now it works on China Mobile!" message.  Your story is plausible in terms of code names, but not in terms of final product names.

• Reply 46 of 109
    Quote:

Originally Posted by malax View Post

For people new to the Apple party, don't forget that two of Apple's biggest products (at the time) where the Apple II+ and the Mac Plus.  So a) Apple it wouldn't be unprecedented for Apple to include "plus" in a product name, but b) it could be either + or Plus.  Having said that, what percentage of the Apple workforce (and senior leadership) were at Apple when those products came out?

Personally, I will be somewhat surprised if Apple drops the current 5s size completely.  It would seem to be an admission that the iPhone has been too small all along (which I don't believe).

They won't, the 6c (with its 5s internals and Touch ID) will be a very attractive offering at $99 for a lot of people.

• Reply 47 of 109

I call flaw on the name Plus, not that apple has not done the plus name before but that was desperate  time. I do not see them going this route this time. As it was pointed out it maybe a translation issue.

• Reply 48 of 109
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Interdyne View Post

The fact that AI doesn't seem to understand what the 5c was is kind of sad. For the last time, the 5c was not the same as the 5. Its radios worked on China Mobile, that's the carrier with 793 million subscribers. The c in iPhone 5c stands for China.

The intertwining of Color, Cheap, and China made the 5c an unavoidable name. It is a great name. And we'll see it revised with the 6c.

• Reply 49 of 109

I wonder if the 5.5 will ultimately see a high rate of returns....people exchanging it for the 4.7" when they decide it is too big.

It's seems plausible given what I know about consumers.

• Reply 50 of 109

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Interdyne View Post

Quote:

Originally Posted by malax View Post

BS.  Product names are chosen to communicate with the end user (in subtle or non-subtle ways).  Show me any evidence where "iPhone 5c" was used to communicate the "now it works on China Mobile!" message.  Your story is plausible in terms of code names, but not in terms of final product names.

OK, I think you took the last line a little too literally.  Of course for the general public c stood for color. But the reason they created the iPhone 5c was so that it would work on China Mobile. I thought AI and AI readers understood that, but based on this article and your response, I see that is not so.

• Reply 51 of 109
    dewmedewme Posts: 5,356member
    iPhone 6 Biggie Size
    iPhone 6 Phatty
    iPhone 6 Big Hand Edition
    iPhone 6 G (ginormous)
    iPhone 6 CP (cargo pants edition)
  • Reply 52 of 109
    How effing pathetic is that source. iPhone 6+ The competition will have a field day with such a stupid designation. iPhone 6 sounds great all by itself. What a load of crap.
  • Reply 53 of 109
    iPhone 6 Plus for BBW and rotund males
    /s
  • Reply 54 of 109

5.5 rounds up to six.

But I think I'll keep calling it the "iPhone Math". 

It sounds as silly as everyone will look when they whip out their 6-inchers.

• Reply 55 of 109
    Originally Posted by BobSchlob View Post
    A)  4"  iPhone 6?

B)  Processor bump the current iPhone 5s?

That’s the same thing.

Originally Posted by digitalclips View Post

Well obviously it was sarcasm, he said 'waiting' ... you lost it a long time ago! image

You want to know why I don’t think the “plus” name is in any way intelligent?

Because people will think they have to buy AppleCare+ if they buy the large model.

• Reply 56 of 109
    Quote:

Originally Posted by BobSchlob View Post

In all seriousness, I'm most curious to see what they do with the 4" iPhone.

A)  4"  iPhone 6?

B)  Processor bump the current iPhone 5s?

C)  Nothing?

I think there will be three phones, a 4" mildly upgraded model based on the body of the 5C, the new 4.7 and 5.5. 

The 5S will be discontinued.  I do not want this, this is what I expect though.  I cannot see Apple selling 4-5 models of phones in addition to all of the memory and color choices. 

• Reply 57 of 109
    Originally Posted by BeltsBear View Post

The 5S will be discontinued.

No, in your scenario it would become the 5SC.

• Reply 58 of 109
    No surprise there with the names but where is that infamous "S"? I bet we see it show up in 6 months. One thing that will make iPhone 6 a market changer is capabilities to use mobile payments. Keep a sharp eye on any announcement Apple makes concerning this new approach. If successful, big things are going to happen when it comes to the way we pay for products and services. When you are ready to purchase the new iPhone don't forget to get some cash trading in your old iPhone at http://www.farewellcell.com.
  • Reply 59 of 109
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

No, in your scenario it would become the 5SC.

Or the 6C

• Reply 60 of 109
    Fat mac, 1984?