Apple rumored to launch loyalty rewards program alongside mobile payments system

Posted:
in iPhone edited September 2014
Apple is reportedly looking to roll out a so-called "iWallet" loyalty program in cooperation with merchants and retailers that could be announced at Tuesday's special media event.

Touch ID

Citing people familiar with the matter, Bank Innovation reports Apple is moving to build partnership programs for a rumored mobile payments system, and has held talks with merchants and retailers like global hotel chain IHG International.

The publication points to Apple corporate job postings as further evidence of a growing internal merchant relations division, including a marketing manager position tasked with developing "digital and physical assets, programs and training materials to deploy across external partners in the U.S. and other regions." Most notable about this particular job is that it falls under Apple's iTunes department, suggesting the rumored loyalty program will be built on the company's digital storefront.

Over the past two weeks, a number of rumors have surfaced relating to Apple's supposed mobile payments ambitions. Along with next-generation iPhone and "iWatch" hardware support by way of near-field communication (NFC) components, the company is said to have inked deals for lower transaction rates from major credit card issuing banks. Further, critical tie-ups with retail chains like CVS and Walgreens would bring a wide preinstalled user base to the nascent mobile-based solution.

Recent "leaks" from China showed what is claimed to be working "iPhone 6" handsets running a late or final version of iOS 8. Alongside the usual first-party apps, an icon for Apple's Passbook was was tweaked to include a graphical representation of a credit card, hinting that the software may integrate payments support at launch.

Apple is expected to announce its next-generation iPhone lineup at a special event on Tuesday, which also serves as a fitting venue for an announcement regarding mobile payments. AppleInsider will be on site with the latest news and readers can follow along with up to the minute alerts via the official AppleInsider app.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 22

Uhhhh....I hope this doesn't mean I won't get any miles from my CC purchases.

• Reply 2 of 22

:)

I always said that simply tapping your phone instead of a card offers no real advantages for users. And that lower fees and/or a loyalty program make the most sense as something Apple could offer to make it worthwhile to switch to using your phone for payments.

• Reply 3 of 22
    pmzpmz Posts: 3,433member
    Big incentives would a sure way to drive adoption of this.
  • Reply 4 of 22
    Quote:

Originally Posted by RalphMouth View Post

Uhhhh....I hope this doesn't mean I won't get any miles from my CC purchases.

Why wouldn't you? You still ultimately have to pay your CC company bill.

• Reply 5 of 22
    Originally Posted by SpamSandwich View Post

You still ultimately have to pay your CC company bill.

Nah, just charge it to your other iPhone. ;)

• Reply 6 of 22

This is great. I can't wait to put my wallet on a loyalty card diet.

• Reply 7 of 22

Am I the only one hoping for a Mac Pro  Haswell-e and DDR4?

• Reply 8 of 22
    Quote:

Originally Posted by SpamSandwich View Post

Why wouldn't you? You still ultimately have to pay your CC company bill.

Well, I can see CC companies not letting you earn miles for purchases that are made through Apple's payment system.

• Reply 9 of 22
    512ke512ke Posts: 782member

#1 must have feature for any e-payment system, if said system is seriously to challenge my credit card:

Costco.  Cash.  Back.

• Reply 10 of 22
    droidftwdroidftw Posts: 1,009member
    This also has the added bonus that Apple will be able to track your purchasing habits. That's a valuable asset to have these days.
  • Reply 11 of 22

I'd love a loyalty scheme with Apple, even if it was just vouchers for the iTunes Store. 

• Reply 12 of 22
    paxmanpaxman Posts: 4,729member
    Will the new Apple become many Apples?
  • Reply 13 of 22
    Quote:

Originally Posted by paxman View Post

Will the new Apple become many Apples?

I hope not.

If Apple becomes Legion, then we will know that Google's toxic hellstew has infested the mothership. Hints of that have already happened in the form of the pro-prejudice scholarships.

Let us pray that good will prevail.

• Reply 14 of 22
    Originally Posted by go4d1 View Post

Am I the only one hoping for a Mac Pro  Haswell-e and DDR4?

No, but you’re the only one who expects it.

Originally Posted by sog35 View Post

Glad Apple is taking my suggestions to heart.

Even Kanye West thinks that’s a little vain.

• Reply 15 of 22
    dunksdunks Posts: 1,254member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by ifij775 View Post

This is great. I can't wait to put my wallet on a loyalty card diet.

This. A million times this. An electronic payment system is the missing piece to PassBook.

1) Customers get better than card present security and a unified system to replace all the loyalty card chaos.

2) Businesses get iBeacon advertisements and easily quantifiable stats and tracking for repeat customers, possibly with a lower fees than they could individually negotiate with credit card companies.

3) Apple gets access to reliable data on businesses for their mapping software and an App Store style foot in the door on future electronic transactions.

This is a win/win/win scenario.

• Reply 16 of 22

Mac owner since 1985 and NOW they have a loyalty program! And of course it's not going to be retroactive. [Sigh]

:\ /S

• Reply 17 of 22
    Originally Posted by waybacmac View Post

And of course it's not going to be retroactive. [Sigh]

Who says? Just heft up your ancient Macintoshes and show the serial number to your iSight while in iTunes to redeem your rewards.

Just like their gift cards.

• Reply 18 of 22
    <span style="line-height:1.4em;">And of course it's not going to be retroactive. [Sigh]</span>

Who says? Just heft up your ancient Macintoshes and show the serial number to your iSight while in iTunes to redeem your rewards.

Just like their gift cards.

As a gesture to the loyalty of their customers, Apple should offer complimentary purchases of anything from the iTunes Store containing the letters 'Apple' to those who bought the original Mac.
  • Reply 19 of 22
    Uh-oh... The mobile version of the site is already acting weird. Landscape mode in an iPhone is bad news...
  • Reply 20 of 22
    droidftwdroidftw Posts: 1,009member
    Uh-oh... The mobile version of the site is already acting weird. Landscape mode in an iPhone is bad news...
    No problems on an LG G3 so far.