Amazon slashes subsidized price on Fire Phone to 99 cents ahead of Apple's 'iPhone 6' unveiling

Comments

• Reply 41 of 70
    Do you smell it? Redolent of cold sweat and urine? That’s the smell of desperation.

Did somebody say... "FiRE SALE" lololololol
  • Reply 42 of 70
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by TeaEarleGreyHot View Post

Suckers...

And I hope the Powerball fairy will give me the winning numbers in advance of the next drawing.

Quote:

I'm sure many people got burned by the Amazon fire, even before it went on clearance.

Combining comscore data of 173,000,000 Americans with smartphones and the Chitika data of 0.015% - then we have less than 26,000 Americans using Fire phones.  Sounds like not that many of their employees ran out and got their Fire phone.

• Reply 43 of 70
    radarthekatradarthekat Posts: 3,842moderator
    Amazon had its window. Now its closed. Once on sale, it will never come off, except to declare the 99 cent on contract price to be the new normal price.
  • Reply 44 of 70
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Apple ][ View Post

The 99 cent figure is still extremely misleading.

Let's say that an average phone plan for two years is $1500.

So instead of 99 cents, it's either

(a) $1500.99 for the Amazon Fire Phone for two years

(b) $1699.99 for the brand new, amazing, phone to top all phones, iPhone 6! Assuming it's $199.99 w/ contract

This is also a no brainer.

Are you gonna choose (a) or (b) ?

Yes. These headline prices for phones are all a bit ridiculous, aren't they? They represent a fraction of the total cost. Everyone knows it, so I don't really understand the point of it. When I come to work out my next iPhone contract, I will duly go through the tariffs, totting up the upfront phone cost, add on the monthly payments and go for the cheapest overall over two years; it's all unnecessarily tortuous.

• Reply 45 of 70
    Y _ Y

Lets have a moment of silence............
  • Reply 46 of 70
    Quote:

Originally Posted by maccherry View Post

Y _ Y

Lets have a moment of silence............

Done.

Now it's Apple's moment.

• Reply 47 of 70

The Fire Phone just came out a short while ago and already Jeff Bezos is practically giving it away.  I'm fairly certain there will be no cries from analysts to sell Amazon.  I don't understand why some companies are praised for losing money and others are damned because they don't make enough.  This price slashing clearly shows that the Fire Phone is not selling well and I honestly don't think this sale is going to boost the number of units sold to any major degree.  I guess Amazon might as well dump it at least to clear inventory.  I'd certainly say that Jeff Bezos made a mistake with the Fire Phone but I guess his investors will back him anyway.  They don't think he can make any mistakes or at least mistakes bad enough to hurt the company's long-term outlook.

Quote:

Originally Posted by jinspin View Post

You can keep losing money when Wall Street subsidizes you for over a decade of losses. Keep copying others and keep losing money.

I'm willing to bet there are investors selling Apple stock to keep subsidizing Amazon.  Why?  Because they're in love with Jeff Bezos.  They think of him as the perfect son of Warren Buffett.

• Reply 48 of 70
    Quote:

Originally Posted by gijoeinla View Post

Did somebody say... "FiRE SALE" lololololol

Only around 12 people so far...

• Reply 49 of 70
    calicali Posts: 3,494member
    http://www.technewsworld.com/story/How-Amazons-Fire-Phone-Will-Beat-the-iPhone-in-3-Years-80629.html

http://www.complex.com/pop-culture/2014/06/amazon-fire-phone

you mean I have to again wait for the next iPhone Killer? awww...

Personally I'm still waiting for the iPod Killer to arrive.
    dstarsboy wrote: »
    Only around 12 people so far...

DAMMIT!! something told me to apply for that Amazon Mayday job! I would be sleeping on the job right now :(
  • Reply 50 of 70
    rrobr wrote: »
    Still too much...

I thought the same and then realized that's about right for a door stop. If only they'd have sloped it a bit so a person could slide it partly under a door and then give it a kick to stay put...
  • Reply 51 of 70
    [COLOR=blue][SIZE=4]I bought the Fire phone knowing it's designed to suck all my money out of my wallet... so I carry it in my front pocket. [/SIZE][/COLOR]8-)
  • Reply 52 of 70

Way to build customer loyalty, Amazon.  Charge your raving fans and early adopters $199 and a few weeks later sell the same thing for 99 cents.  I can see the Mayday team putting in some serious overtime the next few days!

• Reply 53 of 70

Panic sets in.

• Reply 54 of 70
    Panic sets in.

Fire Induces Panic.
  • Reply 55 of 70

I miss that one troll who would get completely bent out of shape if you posted any critical comment about the Fire Phone or Amazon. He would state the bloody obvious about Amazon's strategy then claim "but most of you don't get it." Never mind that others had posted plenty of evidence to the contrary. He would play the "I'm a developer" card as vague justification for why he was rational and right, and everyone else was irrational and wrong. He'd throw out amazingly immature taunts like "you got what you deserved" or "you know what you did" before devolving to outright name calling. It was bizarre. And funny.

• Reply 56 of 70

Amazon, their commercials are horrible, all they tell the everyday user is "buy our phone and you can get one free year of Amazon Prime." Not exactly the best sales strategy. They don't tell what else the phone can do or give a real reason to buy it beyond giving Amazon more money in online sales. Neither is dressing some little kid up in adult clothes and have him talk like he's 35 and thinking it's cute.

• Reply 57 of 70
    froodfrood Posts: 771member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Apple ][ View Post

The 99 cent figure is still extremely misleading.

Let's say that an average phone plan for two years is $1500.

So instead of 99 cents, it's either

(a) $1500.99 for the Amazon Fire Phone for two years

(b) $1699.99 for the brand new, amazing, phone to top all phones, iPhone 6! Assuming it's $199.99 w/ contract

This is also a no brainer.

Are you gonna choose (a) or (b) ?

It is sometimes amazing how people will take a bad deal if its packaged as an immediate 'good deal'

Where are you getting the $199.99 from?  I'd think it would be more around $299.99.   Demand for iPhones is pretty inelastic.  Apple fans are going to flock to this thing relatively regardless of its price.

• Reply 58 of 70
    Quote:

Originally Posted by mesomorphicman View Post

Amazon, their commercials are horrible, all they tell the everyday user is "buy our phone and you can get one free year of Amazon Prime." Not exactly the best sales strategy. They don't tell what else the phone can do or give a real reason to buy it beyond giving Amazon more money in online sales. Neither is dressing some little kid up in adult clothes and have him talk like he's 35 and thinking it's cute.

Cringeworthy TV ads.

• Reply 59 of 70
    dunksdunks Posts: 1,254member

If they can do them for 99c without a contract I'd pick up a few for handing out as business cards.

• Reply 60 of 70

I am pretty hyped up about my Sherlock 3-season 14 disc box set that ships in November from Amazon! Oh wait, this is about the Amazon Phone... I just saw Amazon and got starry eyed about Sherlock (Season 3 finale non-withstanding)..