Alleged 'iPhone 6' benchmark suggests 'A8' CPU has 1GB of RAM, is clocked at 1.4GHz

Comments

• Reply 21 of 83
    If they put 2GB in the iPhone6 people would want 3GB... Nothing is ever good enough anymore.
  • Reply 22 of 83
    Originally Posted by smcracraft View Post

I think I’ll wait for the iPhone 7. This is not enough of an advance to pull me from the iPhone 5s.

It’s a good thing you know anything whatsoever about the device to make that decision, isn’t it?

• Reply 23 of 83
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Rogifan View Post

Hmm...then Apple needs to scold the developers of Safari. image

I am curious how less RAM makes for a better experience on older devices. Care to enlighten me?

Basically, if the most devs can count on is 1GB (not all of which would be available), it's a good chance they'll use a small enough amount of memory that a device with 512MB can run it.

We may not see devices with 2GB until next year, when all the 512MB devices will lose support for the latest version of iOS.

• Reply 24 of 83
    Apple has doubled performance 3 years straight. To only offer a modest 25% increase doesn't make sense.

Unless they made huge improvements to battery life and/or the GPU (which is lagging the competition).

OR, the A8X is back for tablets with CPU and GPU results.
  • Reply 25 of 83
    Quote:

Apple is stingy with RAM in their mobile devices for whatever reason. I just hope the new iPad gets 2GB otherwise I keep my iPad Air for one more year.

The iPad has memory issues? I really didn't know about this.

• Reply 26 of 83
    This leak is most likely FAKE! Even if the music icon gradient was changed in the latest beta, look at the NO SIM in the status bar and then look at one of his videos where it shows the carrier in the settings menu?! That is not possible is there is no sim! Also in the same video he conviently covers up the model and serial number with his thumb! The picture of the back of the phone has a post-it covering up the model number too! The minute hand on the clock is longer than usual which arguably could have been changed in iOS 8 but most likely not. The touch id button looks like it is made of plastic and so does the display. The finish quality of the phone doesn't look up to apple's standards. He never shows off the new passbook app! Also, why would the leaker show his identity unless he's really stupid or cocky? Also, we haven't heard anything from Apple yet. Apple would be all over this if it was real! Remember the iphone 4 leak?!
  • Reply 27 of 83
    iaeeniaeen Posts: 588member
    I know we have all had this exact same conversation before many times recently but I reiterate my view that whatever Apple use be it 1, 2 or 100 GIGs they are using what they have, after a great deal of testing, found to be optimal not what will save money in production. It is impossible to compare Macs and iDevices with the other crap out there anymore and RAM is a classic example of where this is especially true. No other manufacturer controls so many aspects of the experience. Stating the obvious, Apple have the OS and hardware and with some products even CPUs in-house or of their own design. So, for armchair amateurs on blogs stating what amount of RAM they feel is required, is to say the least, as good as facing the wrong way in a strong wind while peeing.

I'm sure there is a lot of truth in what you are saying; however, the unfortunate fact is that real world users are running into the limitations. I'm also in the group that's tired of having to refresh Safari tabs. I often like to compare pictures from two different sites, and it usually has to refresh the page when switching back and forth. This isn't a power user problem; this is something that will frustrate your average user.

This isn't about getting involved in the android specs pissing contest, all I want is for safari to work.
  • Reply 28 of 83
    rogifanrogifan Posts: 10,669member

Basically, if the most devs can count on is 1GB (not all of which would be available), it's a good chance they'll use a small enough amount of memory that a device with 512MB can run it.

We may not see devices with 2GB until next year, when all the 512MB devices will lose support for the latest version of iOS.
    You'd think there would be a better way to get developers to write efficient apps.
  • Reply 29 of 83
    Quote:

Originally Posted by EricTheHalfBee View Post

Apple has doubled performance 3 years straight. To only offer a modest 25% increase doesn't make sense.

Unless they made huge improvements to battery life and/or the GPU (which is lagging the competition).

It's really hard to do that doubling year after year after year. Anand was shocked when he discovered that with the A7, Apple had done two successive "tocks" with the core designs, going from Swift to Cyclone. Their focus this time was going down to a smaller process for better battery life, in essence a 'tick'.

• Reply 30 of 83
    Originally Posted by EricTheHalfBee View Post

…25% increase…

Where’re you getting that?

• Reply 31 of 83

Apple doubling performance 3 years in a row is what doesn't make sense. A 25% performance increase is still amazing.

As far as RAM goes, the iPad sorely needs a RAM boost. It's possible that the 4.7" iPhone may be okay without more RAM, but the 5.5 will probably need it because of the greater pixels it needs to push and because the larger size allows a bigger battery to compensate for any battery effects.
  • Reply 32 of 83

I get your argument, but I think it is a very poor reason to keep phones at 1GB. Because, by the same logic, Apple will have to wait an additional year for their next Ram bump, because the 1 GB devices have been in the market for 1 more year.
  • Reply 33 of 83
    foggyhillfoggyhill Posts: 4,767member

Tab refreshes have to do with Safari mismanaging memory and not memory lacking.  A web page is maybe 2M on average, so why on earth would 10 tabs require a reload. I still have a desktop running XP with firefox on it and 512M of memory and its performance is flawless even with 20 tabs. Not sure what's wrong with Safari, but you don't solve a software problem by increasing overall memory.

• Reply 34 of 83
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by herbapou View Post

The thing is I am planning to do a lot of gaming on the 5.5" phone, lets hope that phone has 2g of ram. Maybe Apple needs to have "pro" devices. If people like you are seing problems in apps other than games, its even more serious than I taught. 

Normally, Apple are good at balancing specs, they have to know 1g is not enough. Maybe there is a conflit between engineers and the design team, but since the boss is a design guy, design wins.

Thats like saying I plan to play alot of games on my XBOX or Playsation and they only have 1G of RAM so they crash all the time. Game makers KNOW there is only 1G of RAM and write their programs accordingly. ANY games which crash on an Ipad air have a bug, they can say what they like but ALL Ipad airs are identical (for now) so all have exactly the same RAM.
  • Reply 35 of 83
    Quote:

Depends on apps they are testing, I am sure "Hello kitty" and "Pages" are working fine with 1g of ram.  I hope Apple will aim on having the best devices and not "average Joe" devices and let Android have the high end market...

...let Android have the high end market...

???

...I hope Apple will aim on having the best devices...

Someone trolling?

• Reply 36 of 83
    herbapouherbapou Posts: 2,228member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by smiffy31 View Post

Quote:

The thing is I am planning to do a lot of gaming on the 5.5" phone, lets hope that phone has 2g of ram. Maybe Apple needs to have "pro" devices. If people like you are seing problems in apps other than games, its even more serious than I taught. 

Normally, Apple are good at balancing specs, they have to know 1g is not enough. Maybe there is a conflit between engineers and the design team, but since the boss is a design guy, design wins.

Thats like saying I plan to play alot of games on my XBOX or Playsation and they only have 1G of RAM so they crash all the time. Game makers KNOW there is only 1G of RAM and write their programs accordingly. ANY games which crash on an Ipad air have a bug, they can say what they like but ALL Ipad airs are identical (for now) so all have exactly the same RAM.

Well since ipads are iphones are not necessary for gaming, its very possible they dont balance specs for games but for productivity apps.  Currently, some games requires a complete flush of the apps and a reboot before you start it or it will either crash or have lag spikes.  Yes all ipads are the same, but this is starting to limit possibilities. There is no point on having a fast GPU if you can't load all of the graphics. ITs like having a high end PC GPU with no on board memory, its pointless. In short, the specs are not well balance, and this is a rare event for Apple.

Again, letting the high end games to android is a mistake imo. If too many gamers or power users start recommending Android, Apple may lose the high end market.

• Reply 37 of 83
    herbapouherbapou Posts: 2,228member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by ddawson100 View Post

???

...I hope Apple will aim on having the best devices...

Someone trolling?

I wish I was....  that being said, we still have to wait on product announcements.  Apple is not in trouble yet, I am hoping they will up the ram on ipads for multitasking issues, which will save the games at the same time.

• Reply 38 of 83
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by TheWhiteFalcon View Post

As much as it would be nice to see more RAM, keeping it low also makes it so developers are careful with their programs. It makes for a better experience for the people with older devices. For the most part, A5 devices have 512MB, they'll all get dumped at once and then 1GB will be the new limit.

If Apple wants to encourage developers to be memory efficient, why don't they just set memory limits in their app store policies? Forcing the issue at the hardware level seems the wrong way to go, as it ignores various use cases where a large amount of RAM is legitimately needed (such as web browsing).
  • Reply 39 of 83
    Quote:

I can only go off my experience (and the experience I read about from others). Safari on the iPad is not a great experience. Tab refreshes are bad enough (they existed on iOS 6 too) but I still encounter random crashes too. If Apple can find a way to make Safari better on the iPad with only 1GB RAM that's fantastic, but I have my doubts.

As a website/mobile developer, yes it would be nice to have more ram but when we have to support devices all the back to iPad 2, we still have to optimize our site and programs.  

With some extensive research, we've found the most website crashes due to sites not optimized for mobile devices.  Besides optimizing websites/images, using latest iOS also helps.  iOS 7.0.0 crashes way more than iOS 7.1.2 viewing the same websites.

• Reply 40 of 83
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

Where’re you getting that?

iPhone 5S Geekbench score of 1305 times 1.25 is 1631 or this "rumored" Geekbench score.