AppleInsider introduces new mobile edition designed for iPhone's Safari browser

Posted:
in iPhone edited September 2014
Just in time for what is shaping up to be Apple's biggest keynote in years, AppleInsider introduces a major revamp to its mobile website, bringing fast HTML5 support, new content sections and a powerful redesign inspired by the latest version of Apple's iOS.

For the best performance possible, the award-winning design team at digital creative shop Crafted constructed our new mobile site in HTML5 to provide readers with even faster access to the day's breaking stories. From high-resolution images to ease of use, the reworked code is optimized for speed.

Readers who hop over to AppleInsider.com on their iPhones today will also notice a completely revamped user interface that conforms to Apple's latest iOS standards, with a fresh, full-width article timeline and new navigation options for an improved on-the-go reading experience. A new "hamburger" menu button also allows readers to show and hide an interface drawer providing quick access to other popular AppleInsider sections, including new Deals and Reviews listings.

In addition to refined looks, we've added support for rich multimedia content like streaming video, image galleries and interactive documents, and other features normally reserved for desktop viewing environments.

While the design has changed, AppleInsider will continue to provide the most up-to-date, comprehensive coverage of all things Apple, just as it has for the past 19 years.

The mobile-centric site is now live and can be accessed via mobile Safari or any other compatible browser. It's also a great companion to AppleInsider's official iPhone and iPad apps available on Apple's App Store, both of which were also designed and developed by Crafted (who you can follow on Twitter).

Readers should also be aware that a font resize option is in the works will be returning to the mobile site. And for those who prefer to long-press links to open them in new tabs, this functionality works on the new site in iOS 8 (due out in a few days).

Comments

• Reply 1 of 70
    clemynxclemynx Posts: 1,552member
    Nice !

A new layout for a new phase in Apple's history.

Can't believe that we are 3 hours, 20 minutes and 45 seconds away from Apple's keynote !
  • Reply 2 of 70
    asdasdasdasd Posts: 5,686member
    It's nice.
  • Reply 3 of 70
    Nice
  • Reply 4 of 70

Much better thanks!

One think I dislike about most mobile specific sites is that you can't pinch to zoom.

• Reply 5 of 70
    Great, any chance that the appleinsider app will be updated to look the same (as it's pretty grim as it is)?
  • Reply 6 of 70
    maestro64maestro64 Posts: 5,043member
    Does that mean AI is not longer using flash which continually hangs the browsers, it happen twice today alone.

Steve warn you all that Flash is bad and makes for a bad user experience.
  • Reply 7 of 70
    Looks professional. Just don't mess it up with spelling, grammar, script and formatting errors. ;)
  • Reply 8 of 70

Didn't the Apple engineers specifically say to avoid hamburger menus?

• Reply 9 of 70

Layout is nice, but I can't Tap+Hold on an article & open the article in a new tab!!  Annoying!!

• Reply 10 of 70
    Looks nice.

I really want a facelift and functionality upgrade in the forums. That's where I spend most of my time.
  • Reply 11 of 70
    Nice! But just curious....why did you spring this announcement on the same day of Apple's presser? I guess traffic would be high to your website. Makes sense!
  • Reply 12 of 70
    Much better thanks!
    One think I dislike about most mobile specific sites is that you can't pinch to zoom.

Won't need to on the 5.5" iPhone
  • Reply 13 of 70
    libertykrs wrote: »
    Layout is nice, but I can't Tap+Hold on an article & open the article in a new tab!!  Annoying!!

Just use one tab. Problem solved.
  • Reply 14 of 70

Looks nice, still wish there was a stock ticker at the top like on the full site.

• Reply 15 of 70

I really don't get the whole "designed for mobile" bragging that sites do.  I have this amazing pocket computer that sites take away functionality from.  What's the first thing people want to do on a small device when displaying a picture or small text.  THEY WANT TO ZOOM IN.  Why does every freaking "designed for mobile" site get rid of this basic function?????????????????????????????

• Reply 16 of 70
    ttollerton wrote: »
    Nice! But just curious....why did you spring this announcement on the same day of Apple's presser? I guess traffic would be high to your website. Makes sense!

You asked a question and answered it. We read.
  • Reply 17 of 70

I find the ads too intrusive, I can't scroll past them, it's like some free utility app with permanent ads. It's worse than the old version.

Never mind I got mixed up, I was referring to the ai app rather than the m.site

• Reply 18 of 70
    Looks nice.

I really want a facelift and functionality upgrade in the forums. That's where I spend most of my time.

1) Fully agree. I never go the site itself; straight to the user comments, as that's where the most useful info is. Well, depending the poster.

2) Strange that this is completely useless optimisation as the site still uses 5MB .png files for the images. You do not want to load this thread while on cellular:
    http://forums.appleinsider.com/t/182140/vague-schematics-details-hint-at-mic-speaker-rectangular-design-for-apples-iwatch
  • Reply 19 of 70
    I'm always curious on the factors that push a site towards 'separate mobile and desktop' or towards a single responsive design. It does look very nice and well done.
  • Reply 20 of 70
    bageljoeybageljoey Posts: 2,004member
    The markets must like it--AAPL is up over 1% already!¡