Apple announces 4.7" iPhone 6 and 5.5" iPhone 6 Plus: New design, A8 CPU, Retina HD display

Posted:
in iPhone edited December 2014
Apple's hotly anticipated next generation of iPhone was officially unveiled on Tuesday in two different screen sizes of 4.7 and 5.5 inches, both sporting all-new designs and even higher resolution Retina HD displays.

In unveiling its bigger iPhones, Apple said the 4.7-inch iPhone 6 boasts 38 percent more pixels than its predecessor, the iPhone 5s. And the jumbo-sized iPhone 6 Plus packs in 185 percent more pixels.

Apple SVP of marketing Phil Schiller the two devices 1,334-by-750 at 326ppi for the 4.7-inch and 1,920-by-1080 pixels for the 5.5-inch version. That translates to one million and two million pixels for the two new versions, respectively. The iPhone 6 brings down thickness to 6.9-millimeters thin, while the iPhone 6 Plus drops to 7.1mm, down from 7.6mm for the iPhone 5s.

Taking advantage of the new, larger 5.5-inch display, Apple created new modes for landscape viewing, making the home screen viewable and adding extra keys on the soft keyboard.

As for hardware, Touch ID makes a return, as does the same physical volume controls and mute switch. As expected, Apple relocated the sleep/wake button to the right side of the handset for easier one-handed operation.

Apple's new A8 processor contains two billion transistors and is 25 percent faster than the last-generation A7. Compared to the original iPhone, the iPhone 6 blazes along, 50 times faster and the integrated GPU is 84 times faster. Despite the gains in speed, Apple managed to architect a chip 50 percent more efficient than the A7.

The iPhone 6 and 6 Plus takes motion tracking to the next level with the new M8 motion coprocessor that includes a new barometer, which measures relative elevation from air pressure. This allows developers to build apps that can determine distance walked or run and stairs stepped.

With the rear-facing camera iSight camera, Apple built in a new for iPhone 6 and 6 Plus 8MP sensor with hybrid phase detection autofocus system dubbed "Focus Pixels." The 1.5-micron pixels also return, as does f/2.2 aperture performance. Apple also added some backend grunt with advanced image processing, allowing for 1080p video at 30 and 60 frames per second, as well as a Slo-mo video at 240 FPS.

The iPhone 6 is available in Gold, Silver and Space Gray, priced at $199 for a 16GB version, $299 for 64GB and $399 for a new 128GB tier, all on two-year contract. The iPhone 6 Plus starts at $299, $399 and $499 for the same storage sizes.

With the release of the iPhone 6 and 6 Plus, the iPhone 5s drops down to $99, while the iPhone 5c goes to free-on-contract.

Apple's new iPhones will start shipping on Sept. 19.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 343

WTF is this terrible Chinese overdubbing???

• Reply 2 of 343

Samsung... dead man walking.

• Reply 3 of 343

AHHHH whats with the chinese overdubbing!!!! Also my keynote keeps getting cut off. Horrible!

• Reply 4 of 343
    herbapouherbapou Posts: 2,228member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by brlawyer View Post

WTF is this terrible Chinese overdubbing???

yes its annoying to the roof. and the stream keeps cutting off.

Love the full HD 5.5", this is so my new phone

• Reply 5 of 343
    This will be the first Apple launch I miss, as streaming is complete bollox online. Constant Chinese translation provided, with no ability to turn off!

Apple have fucked up this launch.
  • Reply 6 of 343
    Apple's Live stream is a massive FAIL! Crashing, Chinese translation voiceover... WTF? Why can't Apple execute a Live Stream in 2014?
  • Reply 7 of 343
    MY EARS BLEED WITH THIS CHINESE LADY SPEAKING….ARRGH….START OVER APPLE..
  • Reply 8 of 343
    Originally Posted by sog35 View Post

Paging Tallest Ski.....

Paging Tallest Ski......

hello?

5.5?

hello?

Learn how to read English or don’t be surprised when your posts disappear.

• Reply 9 of 343
    paxmanpaxman Posts: 4,729member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by sog35 View Post

Like I've been saying for MONTHS

So obvious even a deaf man could see it coming.....

Again those who lost the bet, you are let off the hook.

I'm not going to enforce the post ban.

Go ahead and post away.

just remember next time I say something I'm usually right.

You and the rest.

• Reply 10 of 343

This keynote is ruined, my video keeps going off and I can't see anything. Constantly. WORST!!!

• Reply 11 of 343
    Quote:

Originally Posted by asterion View Post

This will be the first Apple launch I miss, as streaming is complete bollox online. Constant Chinese translation provided, with no ability to turn off!

DEFINITELY the worst ever - gonna stop watching and hopefully see the recorded stream so they can fix that SHIT.

• Reply 12 of 343
    I'm sure many are happy with these new display sizes, but for me they're too large. Unfortunately they didn't make a new 4" so now I need to decide if I want all the new HW features or settle with last year's 5s. Problem is with the latter, they most likely won't make a 4" anymore so at some point the 4.7" will be their smallest iPhone.

Still, happy for all those people using larger Android devices; they now don't have any reason not to switch over/back to iOS.
  • Reply 13 of 343
    Quote:

The Launch isn't f*cked up... but the Stream is definitely f*cked up.

• Reply 14 of 343

Thanks Apple. Live feed SUCKS!!!!! 

• Reply 15 of 343
    tyler82tyler82 Posts: 1,101member
    Live video is not up for me on apple.com. This rather annoying %u2014__%u2014
  • Reply 16 of 343
    Apple live stream FAIL
  • Reply 17 of 343

This will be the first Apple launch I miss…

Or, you know, you could read the text streams.

• Reply 18 of 343
    auxioauxio Posts: 2,727member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by island hermit View Post

The Launch isn't f*cked up... but the Stream is definitely f*cked up.

Exactly.  I guess no one can remember a few years back when liveblogging was the only way to see a live feed of an Apple event.  I guess all of those launches were ruined too in hindsight...

It's annoying not to have the live feed, but I'm still excited to see what's coming.

• Reply 19 of 343

Seriously!?!?!?!? Apple is the biggest company on earth and they can't get this streaming right? This is just so bad. What a horrible user experience. 

• Reply 20 of 343

I wonder if this is Samsung. I know it sounds paranoid, but even engagdget is not updating photos and stuff. ???

A few days before the iPhone release was the celebrity iPhone iCloud photos leak. Now this. hmmmm.