Take a quick peek at the media frenzy outside Apple's Sept. 9 event

Posted:
in General Discussion edited November 2014
With less than 30 minutes to go until Apple reveals what secret products it's been working on, the tech news media has congregated in Cupertino, next to a giant mysterious white box, awaiting the big event. AppleInsider offers a quick peek at the scene as we count down to showtime.

AppleInsider's Daniel Eran Dilger is at the Flint Center in Cupertino, and captured the above video on the Hyperloop app for iPhone. The keynote presentation is set to kick off at 10 a.m. Pacific, 1 p.m. Eastern, and full coverage can be found at our official live blog.

The company is widely expected to introduce its next-generation "iPhone 6" in two screen sizes of 4.7 and 5.5 inches. Also said to be on tap is the company's first major foray into the wearable devices market, rumored to be a wrist-worn device that has been dubbed the "iWatch."

Comments

• Reply 1 of 33
    Mossberg sighting @ 0:24.
    He's talking to a tall Jeff Goldblum-looking guy with beard and glasses.
  • Reply 2 of 33
    I'm sure it's a useful app, but this video looks like someone with Google Glass that can't find the men's room.
  • Reply 3 of 33
    White box is a house. Designed by newson
  • Reply 4 of 33
    Not sure anyone would really consider that a "frenzy".
  • Reply 5 of 33
    herbapouherbapou Posts: 2,228member

Grats Apple on a TV stream that absolutely doesn't work.... and there is an annoying asian voice over, what a fail

omg I managed to see the 5.5" at full HD resolution !!!!

• Reply 6 of 33

Yeah, my stream usually does not have audio.  When it does, there is a woman speaking in an East Asian language over the speakers and then the screen lags...

• Reply 7 of 33

Live Stream Epic Fail!

• Reply 8 of 33

My access has been denied....I'm doomed...that i, going to windows 8

• Reply 9 of 33

Worst Apple launch ever! Talk about trying to be too clever. IT morons have taken over the asylum now Steve has gone. User value is replaced by bells / whistles and associated non-functional gimmicks.

The event website is trying to stream still images (Twitter feed?? Whatever) as well as some non-Quiicktime live video stream — and FAILING, heroically.

Tim should've kept things SIMPLE and FUNCTIONAL. I just want to view the video feed, live — like I have been able to for more than a decade while the company had its head on straight!

SUCH a disappointment, Applesoft.

• Reply 10 of 33

All those billions, and unable to get a f***in' clue!

• Reply 11 of 33

Reloaded the page and things do seem to be better

• Reply 12 of 33
    Originally Posted by asterion View Post

User value is replaced by bells / whistles and associated non-functional gimmicks.

FINALLY, someone lying about the actual keynote content instead of complaining about the stream WHICH WORKS NOW REFRESH YOUR PAGES, PEOPLE.

• Reply 13 of 33

It would be nice if we could actually see the new features, but the LiveStream still doesn't work. I have refreshed several times on my computer and reloaded on my Apple TV. It keeps freezing and disconnecting. I even got an "Access Denied" message. I guess there is quite a bit of interest.

The big question for me is whether the 6 will be sufficient in size, or will I have to go the 6+ Phablet route. It seems that there are some features exclusive to the 6+ that would be nice to have (image stabilization, split screen for email in landscape mode... this is all I've been able to gather from the AI and Apple updates). I definitely want 128GB! 

• Reply 14 of 33

Not talking about the keynote content, so not "lying"...

Talking about the stupid event webpage they set up, which is trying to load snapshots / video stills to the page below the streaming content, at the same time as trying to play the video feed. And failing at both.

Haven't actually managed to view content yet — apart from a few seconds of Schiller identifying the sex of a butterfly.

Reloading may help for you... Doesn't help here.

• Reply 15 of 33

For me, the live stream runs for anywhere between five minutes and five seconds before it stops. If I refresh the page, it sometimes restarts, sometimes loads an empty page template with no content and sometimes loads a generic server error page. At least the Asian translation audio is gone now.

• Reply 16 of 33
    Live stream... totally unwatchable. Crashes about every minute. Ocassionally shows bars and tone from before the event went live (meaning the have old fragments popping up).

Apple (or whoever the vendor is doing the streaming) should be embarrassed.

At least they fixed the audio.

(This is on an AppleTV)
  • Reply 17 of 33
    Originally Posted by mobycat View Post

Live stream... totally unwatchable. Crashes about every minute. Ocassionally shows bars and tone from before the event went live (meaning the have old fragments popping up).

Been solid for me for the last 20 minutes.

Apple (or whoever the vendor is doing the streaming) should be embarrassed.

Someone’s never getting contracted again, at least.

• Reply 18 of 33
    It does seem to have settled down. It hasn't crashed during the Watch portion.
  • Reply 19 of 33
    Originally Posted by mobycat View Post

It does seem to have settled down. It hasn't crashed during the Watch portion.

That just proves nobody wants the watch and Apple is doomed.

• Reply 20 of 33
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

That just proves nobody wants the watch and Apple is doomed.

Funny you should say that. I was sitting there wondering... "how will this actually do?" I kinda like it (though it'll probably be priced higher than I'm willing to pay). But as much as people are starting to view Apple like they used to view MS... and that the phone is right there on your arm (whereas the phone can at least just be in your pocket)...

Who knows.