Apple Watch revealed: A wrist-worn, personalized communications & fitness device with 'digital crown

Posted:
in General Discussion edited December 2014
Apple's hotly anticipated, highly secretive smart wrist watch was finally unveiled to the public on Tuesday in the form of Apple Watch, a device that the company said will define the emerging wearable devices market.

One of the most unique aspects of the Apple Watch is the "digital crown," a physical dial that rests on the right side of the device. Using this, users can interact with the device without a need to touch the screen, which would obscure it.

The crown button also acts as the home button, and can be pressed to return a user to the main screen. A button located below the crown allows users to quickly access contacts.

The face is also an input, with unique "tap" and "force press" gestures enabled by special electrodes capable of sensing pressure.

The Apple Watch comes with advanced sensors that turn on the display when a user raises their wrist. Sensors are also found underneath the watch, placed against a user's wrist, to gather data like heart rate information.

Charging is accomplished via a MagSafe-like inductive charger that attaches to the rear plate.

For notifications, Apple integrated a "Taptic" feedback engine, which basically employs a linear vibrating motor that alerts only the user to incoming messages, events and more.

On the software side, Apple has integrated Siri, as well as app support like Maps, Photos and more in conjunction with a connected iPhone. Onboard sensors like an accelerometer and optical heart rate sensor add to the experience by tracking user activity.

Apple Watch harnesses these sensors, as well as GPS and Wi-Fi data from the iPhone, to track activity and movement levels throughout the day, representing the information in three "rings." The Move ring tracks general movement, while the Exercise ring fills up during workouts. A Stand ring reminds users to stand up during the day, as sitting for long periods of time can be unhealthy.

One of the more interesting features is Digital Touch, that uses the Taptic feedback engine to send drawn messages -- or even your heart beat -- to friends. On the theme of messages, Apple has created a new adaptive language that intelligently processes incoming text and determines an adequate response.

Apple worked with horological experts around the world to understand the history and culture of watches, informing a universal design that can be worn all day.

Six different straps are available, including an elastomer-based sport band, leather loop with embedded magnets, leather band, classic leather buckle type, stainless steel and stainless steel mesh with magnetic closure.

The Apple Watch also comes in two sizes and three "collections." The vanilla Apple Watch series features a polished stainless steel case, the Apple Watch Sport boasts an aluminum chassis, while the Apple Watch Edition is the high-end collection and comes in "hardened" gold.

Apple Watch requires the iPhone, with compatibility for iPhone 5, 5c and 5s.

Pricing starts at $349 and will be available early next year.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 267
    There it is! Hot damn!
  • Reply 2 of 267

Digital crown, eh? Guess I’ll finally be able to get rid of these.

• Reply 3 of 267

Its soo ugly

• Reply 4 of 267
    Sorry, but this thing is just stupid.
  • Reply 5 of 267
    How did they not leak this thing? Especially with the models / actors wearing one in ads?
  • Reply 6 of 267
    Dann is she ever fuckin" GORGEOUS! Bespoke too: called that one :)
  • Reply 7 of 267
    Let the hate flow (from the usual suspects).
  • Reply 8 of 267

the boy/girls have been working.   I'm just saying.  that a lot of stuff.

• Reply 9 of 267
    Originally Posted by Suddenly Newton View Post

How did they not leak this thing? Especially with the models / actors wearing one in ads?

Same way the first iPhone/iPad didn’t leak?

• Reply 10 of 267

Invasion of the Body Snatchers

Those aren't sensors on the back... the watch actually digs probes into your wrist and turns you into a zombie like creature...

• Reply 11 of 267
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by sog35 View Post

Message brought to you by:

Samsung

Google

Swiss

Mess brought to you by:

A long time apple fan who absolutely hate watches. Did they just make this thing just to make it? I don't get it.

• Reply 12 of 267
    Quote:

Originally Posted by AWilliams87 View Post

Sorry, but this thing is just stupid.

It really is.

• Reply 13 of 267
    Quote:

Originally Posted by sog35 View Post

Message brought to you by:

Samsung

Google

Swiss

No, this thing is not good looking at all. I'm getting the new iPhone and the new iPad when it comes out. This watch is just bad.

• Reply 14 of 267

It was stated in the keynote that ?Watch requires an iPhone (I imagine an iPad, too). That’s going to be a restriction. Not that a standalone wouldn’t have had its own restrictions, but having to own both is going to self-limit the number they can sell.

?Watch can control music on your computer! That’s pretty great. You could be at a house party or whatever and change things up right on your wrist.

• Reply 15 of 267
    Mess brought to you by:

A long time apple fan who absolutely hate watches. Did they just make this thing just to make it? I don't get it.

Look at your sig and see why you're visionless like he was!

Edited so we know who "he" is that I'm referring to here:

Paul Thurrott on iPad (2010): "Anyone who believes this thing is a game changer is a tool. I'm sorry, but that's just the way it is."
  • Reply 16 of 267
    auxioauxio Posts: 2,727member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Suddenly Newton View Post

Let the hate flow (from the usual suspects).

Yup.  I remember all the hate for the original iPad too -- it was almost proportional to how well it did.

• Reply 17 of 267
    Regardless of the project and that he's now at Apple: Kevin Lynch is a tool in a class all his own! Really dislike this guy... sorry!
  • Reply 18 of 267
    gwmacgwmac Posts: 1,807member

Thank God they have one in gold. I do not ever want to wear plastic on my wrist that is seen in public and at work. I love the variety for many tastes. This immediately made the competition look cheap and obsolete. (more than they already were)

Anyone want to buy a Breitlling? 

Wall Street seems pleased. AAPL up 2.37

• Reply 19 of 267

And with this, Apple FINALLY finds a way to alienate left-handed people! :)

• Reply 20 of 267
    nhtnht Posts: 4,522member

It is a little thicker than I had hoped but I buy (or I did) thin watches.