Apple Watch will come in two sizes & three collections, with six different strap styles

Posted:
in General Discussion edited September 2014
The new fashion-focused Apple Watch will come in a wide variety of styles and two different sizes, aiming to offer the right device for each wearer's particular style and needs.

The Apple Watch is something of a departure for Apple, which historically has not offered a wide range of styles in its products. But the company's new wearable device will come in three distinct collections: A basic made of stainless steel, a sport version with an aluminum casing, and a high-end edition made of hardened 18-karat gold.

All three editions of the Apple Watch are also offered in two sizes, depending on which better fits a user's wrist.

The Apple Watch can be customized even further with six different styles of watch straps. Apple's unique design has a quick-release mechanism that allows the straps to be quickly interchangeable.

Apple's watch bands are made of elastomer-based sport band, leather loop with embedded magnets, leather band, classic leather buckle type, stainless steel and stainless steel mesh with magnetic closure. Some of the bands include hidden magnetic clasps to allow the accessory to be quickly worn or removed.

Customizable watch faces are also a key factor for Apple's device, with the head of the product's software development, Kevin Lynch, showcasing how users can mix and match different functions and displays. Apple showcased a number of watch faces it's created, including one that shows phases of the moon, another that shows the positions of the planets, or where a user is currently located.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 102

I have been throwing my money at the screen. Not sure why my Apple Watch isn't here yet.

• Reply 2 of 102
    More like 6 versions of ugly.
  • Reply 3 of 102
    Originally Posted by maxtosh View Post

So wait for poorly made third party bands. Problem solved!

• Reply 4 of 102
    mpgnmpgn Posts: 10member

only blind apple fanboys will say this looks better than Moto360. What an ugly POS

• Reply 5 of 102
    maxtosh wrote: »

Then don't buy it. Problem over
  • Reply 6 of 102
    rogifanrogifan Posts: 10,669member
    And here come the trolls.

The watch face isn't round so I'm sure all the tech sites will hate it.
  • Reply 7 of 102
    fallenjtfallenjt Posts: 4,053member

Apple Pay compatible too. Now that's a plus. I expected $299 to start with, but it's $349...Bottom line, Apple products always more expensive than others (Gear $299, Moto Watch $249). Nice watch, but I'll skip to the next version.

• Reply 8 of 102
    dacloodacloo Posts: 890member
    I was hoping there was a bit more focus on the device being a jewelry. I'm not fond of the design. A watch is a much more personal choice. The design looks as if they wanted to please everyone, and doing failing in doing so. From a production standpoint it's logical to have 1 device of course.
    I personally like round watches, but it would have been near impossible to produce both a square and round one, interface wise.
  • Reply 9 of 102

Just having fun kids. Apple always hits the sweet spot around gen 3. I'll just wait until the new and improved design is released in a few years.

• Reply 10 of 102
    fallenjtfallenjt Posts: 4,053member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Rogifan View Post

And here come the trolls.

The watch face isn't round so I'm sure all the tech sites will hate it.

Cartier watches all have square/rectangular face...There're always some trolls even with the first iPhone. You can't make everyone happy. There're 6-7 billions people in the world, Apple just need to make 1% of them happy to sell their products.

• Reply 11 of 102

BTW, the stock peaked at apple pay and has been dropping since the iWatch was revealed. I think a lot of people are nervous how this will fly. 

• Reply 12 of 102
    blackbookblackbook Posts: 1,361member
    dacloo wrote: »
    I was hoping there was a bit more focus on the device being a jewelry. I'm not fond of the design. A watch is a much more personal choice. The design looks as if they wanted to please everyone, and doing failing in doing so. From a production standpoint it's logical to have 1 device of course.
    I personally like round watches, but it would have been near impossible to produce both a square and round one, interface wise.

They made a f***ing gold version and you're saying they didn't focus on the jewel aspect of the watch? Unbelievable.

As Jony said Switzerland is f***ed!
  • Reply 13 of 102
    paxmanpaxman Posts: 4,729member

As I have said before, round is nice but makes little sense from a digital display pov. I like these a lot but not so happy about the dependence on the iPhone. Wishful thinking, I guess.

• Reply 14 of 102
    stuffestuffe Posts: 394member
    Don't see how it's Apple Pay compatible if there is no Touch ID on the phone. I suppose you would have to fiddle around in your pants with one hand and wave your other one around in front of the sensor.
  • Reply 15 of 102
    jfc1138jfc1138 Posts: 3,090member
    Quote:

Just having fun kids. Apple always hits the sweet spot around gen 3. I'll just wait until the new and improved design is released in a few years.

Life's too short to wait around for "the perfect", IMHO.

That's especially true in a field like electronics where the improvement just keeps on ramping up.

• Reply 16 of 102
    fallenjt wrote: »
    Cartier watches all have square/rectangular face...There're always some trolls even with the first iPhone. You can't make everyone happy. There're 6-7 billions people in the world, Apple just need to make 1% of them happy to sell their products.
    I fully expected the watch to get hate. The tech media has already decided that Moto Almost 360 and round is the pinnacle of smart watch design. Looking at the watch on Tim's wrist it doesn't look that chunky. I'll need to see more photos of it on people's wrists to get a better feel.
  • Reply 17 of 102
    andysolandysol Posts: 2,506member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by stuffe View Post

Don't see how it's Apple Pay compatible if there is no Touch ID on the phone. I suppose you would have to fiddle around in your pants with one hand and wave your other one around in front of the sensor.

It'll likely be a one-time authorization when you're setting up your watch.  Then- when it's within range, it'll work still.

Essentially- theyd have to steal your fingers, your watch, and your phone.  If that happens- you have more to worry about than credit card fraud :)

• Reply 18 of 102
    solipsismxsolipsismx Posts: 19,566member
    1) I am not feeling the physical design of the iWatch, save for the knob/home button*, the home screen layout, or most of the usage examples they showed us with maps, emails, tweets, etc.

2) Does this run iOS, Pico OS, or something else? It seems very iOS-ish but that seems like a power hog, What about the display? LCD or OLED? Lots of blacks so hopefully OLED. And the battery life?

* Is there a version for left-hand dominate people?
  • Reply 19 of 102
    Brian S Hall, who writes for Techpinions and doesn't hold back in his criticism of Apple thinks the new watch looks really nice but is completely unnecessary and the UI would be difficult to use. I can't wait to get some initial reviews.
  • Reply 20 of 102
    sockrolidsockrolid Posts: 2,789member

More like 6 versions of existing-smart-watch-crushing.