Apple Watch starts at $349 and launches in early 2015

Posted:
in General Discussion edited September 2014
Promising it will be "worth the wait," Apple Chief Executive Tim Cook revealed on Tuesday that his company's upcoming smart wearable device, the Apple Watch, will go on sale in early 2015 with a starting price of $349.




The Apple Watch will come in two screen sizes, three different styles, and with six different types of watch bands. In unveiling the hotly anticipated device, Cook called it "the most personal device we've ever created."

Prices for different varieties of the Apple Watch were not revealed Tuesday, though they are likely to be costly: The high-end version sports an 18-karat gold design.


«13456

Comments

  • Reply 1 of 108
    Spectacular!

    There's an AppleWatch Edition in my future....
  • Reply 2 of 108

    Can't wait to pay $350 for something that requires a data plan, is annoyingly large, and does nothing to assuage my fears that the UI will be annoying to work. 

  • Reply 3 of 108
    Airnerd: Not aware that this requires a data plan. As for your other comments, we'll see.
  • Reply 4 of 108
    airnerd wrote: »
    Can't wait to pay $350 for something that requires a data plan, is annoyingly large, and does nothing to assuage my fears that the UI will be annoying to work. 
    Wow, you must be a lot of fun at parties. :rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:
  • Reply 5 of 108
    leighrleighr Posts: 180member
    Glad you're happy with the price point.
  • Reply 6 of 108
    knowitallknowitall Posts: 1,284member
    Ok, I was wrong.
  • Reply 7 of 108

    Well, 

     

    it took only 2 comments before we got a snarky, negative response. Maybe I'm an optimist but I thought we could go at least 5.

     

    I wasn't interested in the watch, but now it has piqued my interest. Still don't feel like I 'gotta have it' which is fine, you can't get one until next year anyway. What I am interested in is how much can it do without the phone. For example, going for a run without my phone. 

  • Reply 8 of 108
    Since I don't wear a watch, I'm not really in the market, but it looks nice if a little large. I noticed it works with the 5S, AND with Payments, so if I wanted to use Apple Payments, I could actually save money and not have to upgrade my phone.

    I'm thinking a Phillips Hue lightbulb set would be more fun and ... it looks cheap by comparison! (Especially if I put it on my Amazon wishlist!)
  • Reply 9 of 108
    AAPL was up $3.50 at the start of the event. It held in at $2ish up until they said the Apple Watch is coming in early 2015, then it dropped to $0.80 up, now a little lower than that. Guess the analysts think that missing the holiday season without the Watch will doom Apple.
  • Reply 10 of 108
    andysolandysol Posts: 2,506member

    For $349- it's worth it to me.  The next iteration will be better, of course.  But I'll use this day one.  Curious if the sport version will cost more?  (I wouldn't think so)

  • Reply 11 of 108
    to add my sarcasm too; is this the new iPod shuffle?
  • Reply 12 of 108
    jfc1138jfc1138 Posts: 3,090member
    Quote:

    Originally Posted by Andysol View Post

     

    For $349- it's worth it to me.  The next iteration will be better, of course.  But I'll use this day one.  Curious if the sport version will cost more?  (I wouldn't think so)


    And oddly I'd have expected the case material to be swapped, Aluminum for the "vanilla" and stainless for the "sport", maybe just having been trained too think sport with stainless for all the years dive watches have been made of that material.

     

    The easily interchangeable band design is a nice touch.

  • Reply 13 of 108
    MacProMacPro Posts: 18,166member
    I am amazed Apple missed an 'in time for Christmas' delivery for Apple Watch after all this time.
  • Reply 14 of 108

    Did they say if I can monitor the heart rate of someone else wearing the watch , like my elderly grandfather for example,  from my iPhone?

  • Reply 15 of 108
    MacProMacPro Posts: 18,166member
    andysol wrote: »
    For $349- it's worth it to me.  The next iteration will be better, of course.  But I'll use this day one.  Curious if the sport version will cost more?  (I wouldn't think so)

    Of course it will, it goes faster! ;)
  • Reply 16 of 108
    jfc1138jfc1138 Posts: 3,090member
    Quote:

    Originally Posted by DogCowabunga View Post



    Since I don't wear a watch, I'm not really in the market, but it looks nice if a little large. I noticed it works with the 5S, AND with Payments, so if I wanted to use Apple Payments, I could actually save money and not have to upgrade my phone.



    I'm thinking a Phillips Hue lightbulb set would be more fun and ... it looks cheap by comparison! (Especially if I put it on my Amazon wishlist!)

    There's two sizes so if one is too large maybe the other will be "just right". 

     

    Goldilocks strategy?.

  • Reply 17 of 108
    MacProMacPro Posts: 18,166member
    knowitall wrote: »
    Ok, I was wrong.

    Time to add a prefix to your handle then maybe? :D
  • Reply 18 of 108
    jfc1138jfc1138 Posts: 3,090member
    Quote:

    Originally Posted by RalphMouth View Post

     

    Did they say if I can monitor the heart rate of someone else wearing the watch , like my elderly grandfather for example,  from my iPhone?



    The one demo had the presenter communicate with a co-worker for lunch and the co-worker responded back with his heartbeat... so very well could be.

  • Reply 19 of 108

    Call me a "hater" or anti-Apple, but I am insulted at how poor this UI looks. Graphics are reminiscent of the iPhone 1, size looks like the first iPad, and the price is almost double that of the new iPhone! 

     

    It literally looks like something I would win for $0.25 from the claw machine at the arcade. I am intrigued by the Apple Watch but will not go near this thing until they make some revisions and improvements with future models. 

  • Reply 20 of 108
    SO, MOTO 360 is the best DESIGNED WATCH.
Sign In or Register to comment.