Apple Watch revealed: A wrist-worn, personalized communications & fitness device with 'digital crown

Comments

• Reply 81 of 267
    That's interesting because I was extraordinarily excited by the iPad, so were my friends. I remember looking forward to it for months. Believe it or not, I actually liked the Nike+ wristband, although I never wore one. But if there's something I absolutely hate, it's having something constantly weighing down on my wrist.

Then don't effing wear one. Did Apple say you have to wear this or die? Some people just want to be negative for the sake of being so. You don't want something weighing your wrist down. Some folk don't mind. Give it a rest already.
  • Reply 82 of 267
    sflocal wrote: »
    What you're hearing is the sound of all the Samsung copy-machines firing up.  

They can stop them right now. They really don't know how or what to copy this time around. It's far beyond their scope and abilities as a company, both technically or design-wise. There's never been a "fashionable" Samsung anything.They don't even control a worthwhile OS to build out any semblance of a quality app... let alone a cohesive eco-system.

Save the energy, and make a bigger Note. iPhone just kicked the 4 to the curb.
  • Reply 83 of 267
    dacloodacloo Posts: 890member
    So.... basically this watch requires you to have an iPhone to do cool stuff. Which makes it a fancy wireless extension of my phone (but with sensors that tell me to move my ass and get back to the gym). I just don't get this product.
  • Reply 84 of 267
    gilly33 wrote: »
    Then don't effing wear one. Did Apple say you have to wear this or die? Some people just want to be negative for the sake of being so. You don't want something weighing your wrist down. Some folk don't mind. Give it a rest already.

The next time you see someone wearing a Breitling or Rolex Submariner... you just go right up to them and tell them, OK? Then ask them if they care what you think. I know the answer. Do you?
  • Reply 85 of 267
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by ThePixelDoc View Post

Funny... because I think it's the smartest smart watch we have seen to date. WatchKit, HealthKit, Pay... all wrapped in some nice looking container, just waiting for the fashion industry to add the personal touch. Believe me... they ARE going to the runway on this.

Listen, I'm not saying it won't sell or anything. But I truly think smart watches are idiotic, personally speaking. It duplicates many of the functionality of the iPhone, but on a smaller screen. I also just hate the feeling of having something constantly weighing down on my wrist. What's wrong with simply pulling out your phone to check on things? I don't get it.

I'm sure a lot of people will buy it; particularly those in the fashion industry like you alluded to. I'm sure many others could make great use of it, just not me, nor the people I just spoke to about it.

• Reply 86 of 267
    Quote:

Originally Posted by EauVive View Post

That ticks you off? image

If taken at face value you'd think so.

... but when I think about it for a second I can just dial it out and life becomes crystal clear again.

• Reply 87 of 267

Well, I'll be interested to see one.  I have to admit, it does look nice, but what it actually does will be the key thing for me.

My problem is my watch is a piece of jewelry first, and a timepiece second.  As a piece of jewelry, I don't want to wear the same thing on my wrist as everyone else does, so the fact that I can see this selling loads makes me less likely to want one.

Unless I'd find it useful enough to make it a useful "thing" instead of primarily a piece of jewelry.

I can see myself buying one, but I'm not going to be selling any of my current watches to pay for it.......

• Reply 88 of 267
    pokepoke Posts: 506member

It is the nicest smart watch so far and that's the problem. Google/Samsung will have been watching this event and what will they take away from it? That their smart watches are pretty much fine, except they need to better build quality and a goofy way of sharing your heartbeat with someone else. Other than that, Apple Watch is very similar to Android Wear. That's probably the biggest indictment of an Apple product I can think of. Samsung/Motorola/Google et al got it pretty much right. They won't be losing any sleep tonight.

• Reply 89 of 267
    Quote:

Originally Posted by jfc1138 View Post

"useless" for you.

For myself for instance, with lab work where I can't touch anything while I'm working, it's going to be very useful. 

Of course “useless” to me. As are all the iPhones from the 4 (that I own) on, since I place 5 calls and write 10 SMS a month on the go (I am on a prepaid card without 3G), don't play games neither watch videos on such a ridiculous tiny screen and own a Nikon 24MP reflex with a lot of lenses when I want to do great photos. I have very basic needs that an iPhone 4 more than suffices to slake.

But, in a lab, don't tell me you don't have a clock somewhere on a wall (or cannot get one installed for 1/10th the price of this device).

• Reply 90 of 267
    ipenipen Posts: 410member

Only $349!  Wow, i thought it'll be $3490 like a Rolex.  Maybe I'll sell 3 shares of AAPL when it gets to $130 to buy this.

• Reply 91 of 267

I own all of the other Apple products and really wanted to like the watch too. I think it would be an awesome stand alone product but if I have to have my iPhone with me to do anything why have the watch. I do think it looks great and hope they sell a ton of them. 

• Reply 92 of 267
    Can it be turned 180 degrees so that lefties can wear it on their right arm?
  • Reply 93 of 267
    Quote:

Originally Posted by island hermit View Post

... but when I think about it for a second I can just dial it out and life becomes crystal clear again.

Now that watch's gonna be the next casus belli between parents and kids:

“Doug'! Did you see John? I’m sure he’s on the phone again!”

“No, he's on the watch.”

• Reply 94 of 267
    tundraboytundraboy Posts: 1,885member

The people who don't like the ?Watch, or pretty much any new product that Apple comes out with, all seem to be pretty offended that the product was not designed specifically for their needs and desires, and furthermore seem to imply that if your needs and desires aren't identical to theirs, there's something seriously wrong with you.

I like the fitness aspect and if ?Pay on ?Watch will work even if I only have a 5s, then it becomes really compelling for me except that I have never bought the inaugural model of any Apple product line.  Style wise, as long as it's not hideous, fine with me.  Wonder if the sensors at the back can do biometric ID.

• Reply 95 of 267
    Quote:

Now that watch's gonna be the next casus belli between parents and kids:

“Doug'! Did you see John? I’m sure he’s on the phone again!”

“No, he's on the watch.”

Asking somebody to watch the kids will take on a whole new meaning.

• Reply 96 of 267
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by island hermit View Post

Asking somebody to watch the kids will take on a whole new meaning.

As will ‘watch out’ :)

Quote:
    Originally Posted by tundraboy View Post

I like the fitness aspect and if ?Pay on ?Watch…

Speaking of ?Pay, I think they'll have a hard time puffing it here in France. Our new (but standard) VISA cards already have a NFC antenna installed so you can pay with them without even having to remove them from your wallet.

• Reply 97 of 267
    tundraboytundraboy Posts: 1,885member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Hans01 View Post

I own all of the other Apple products and really wanted to like the watch too. I think it would be an awesome stand alone product but if I have to have my iPhone with me to do anything why have the watch. I do think it looks great and hope they sell a ton of them. 

I wear a cheapo Seiko kinetic because I really don't like pulling out my phone and pressing a button, then pressing a button again and putting away the phone every time I need to check the time.  The whole process of checking the time for me takes less than a second.  In fact the only drawback of wearing a watch is that people who don't want to wear a watch will bother me for the time because they can't be bothered to muster the effort required to check their own phones.  I respect your reasons for not needing a watch provided you're not one of those time moochers. :-)

• Reply 98 of 267
    evilutionevilution Posts: 1,399member
    Quote:

I concur. Never have been wearing a watch for 25 years. That's not going to change. It's not a stupid device though. Just useless.

Useless to you doesn't mean useless to others.

I can imagine this selling very well.

Personally, I'm not a fan of the design. It's a bit bulky.

When Apple pay becomes more main stream i'll consider the new iPhone and will look with interest at the Gen 2 watch when it comes out.

• Reply 99 of 267
    chronsterchronster Posts: 1,894member

How funny is this? At the top of the main page are links to the rumor threads, with images of a super thin iphone, and a transparent iwatch.  All we got was Apple catching up.  The days Jobs brought are long past, and Apple is falling behind.  Tim Cook seems like a good guy, but he also doesn't seem like the kind of guy to push his company very hard, or take the kind of risk Jobs would take.  Let's be honest, the first iphone was a huge risk that ended up paying off big time.

C'mon Apple, put that money into something great again, like a power glove!

• Reply 100 of 267
    Impressive. The breadth and depth of new features and functionality is remarkable. It appears to render the other so-called smart watches not quite so smart.