Apple ditches 32GB capacity for iPhone 6, offers storage sizes of 16, 64 & 128GB starting at $199

Posted:
in iPhone edited October 2014
Apple's new iPhone 6 and iPhone 6 Plus will offer users more storage than ever before, topping out at a whopping 128 gigabytes of space on high-end models of its two new handsets.

The entry-level 4.7-inch iPhone 6 starts at $199 with 16 gigabytes of storage on a new two-year service contract. Moving to 64 gigabytes jumps the price to $299, while the 128-gigabyte version will cost $399.

As for the 5.5-inch iPhone 6 Plus, the 16-gigabyte version will start at $299, with $100 price jumps for 64 and 128 gigabytes each.

The new models push last year's iPhone 5s down to $99, while the iPhone 5c remains in the lineup free with a new service contract.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 50
    "As for the 5.5-inch iPhone 6 Plus, the 16-gigabyte version will start at $299, with $100 price jumps for 64 and 128 gigabytes each."

Why even bother with 16gb on that size? Use the rest of the 32gb inventory might have been better?
  • Reply 2 of 50
    Originally Posted by ThePixelDoc View Post

Why even bother with 16gb on that size?

Because people will pay up to the next one. It’s brilliant.

• Reply 3 of 50
    jfc1138jfc1138 Posts: 3,090member
    That way they catch low end potential customers and then... everybody else.
  • Reply 4 of 50
    wizard69wizard69 Posts: 13,377member
    "As for the 5.5-inch iPhone 6 Plus, the 16-gigabyte version will start at $299, with $100 price jumps for 64 and 128 gigabytes each."

Why even bother with 16gb on that size? Use the rest of the 32gb inventory might have been better?

One phrase: Corporate Sales!

At times corporations are seriously whacked when buying technology buying just enough to get what is currently needed done.

As for the other two models I don't think they had any choice really, the cost of flash has dropped so much that the iPhone line up was looking like a big ripoff. The line up is much more reasonable now.
  • Reply 5 of 50
    mpgnmpgn Posts: 10member

only a blind fanboy like TS can call this brilliant. How is 16 GB better than 32 GB?

• Reply 6 of 50
    solipsismxsolipsismx Posts: 19,566member

I know a lot of people that don't store large apps or music where 16GB is more than adequate. I was finally going to jump to 32GB this year but with 64GB seeming like overkill I might stick with 16GB. it crossed my mind momentarily on sticking with my current capacity because 64GB feels excessive.
  • Reply 7 of 50
    fallenjtfallenjt Posts: 4,053member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

Because people will pay up to the next one. It’s brilliant.

Yup...very smart, Apple. They make people feel like they get a good deal on 64GB version by spending $100 more.

• Reply 8 of 50
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by SolipsismX View Post

I know a lot of people that don't store large apps or music where 16GB is more than adequate. I was finally going to jump to 32GB this year but with 64GB seeming like overkill I might stick with 16GB.

That doesn't make sense logically though, if you were willing to pay for 32GB, you'll still get another free 32GB, it's the same price. 

I admit I was wrong on this, the other day I was convinced there had to be a 32 one way or another, but alas I was wrong. 64 for me.

• Reply 9 of 50
    saareksaarek Posts: 1,520member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by fallenjt View Post

Yup...very smart, Apple. They make people feel like they get a good deal on 64GB version by spending $100 more.

It's not a bad deal $100 to go from 16gb to 64gb, just annoying as a customer that they did not standardise on 32gb. I know why they did it, they want to make more money, it makes business sense, but still sucks.

• Reply 10 of 50
    andysolandysol Posts: 2,506member
    Quote:

I know a lot of people that don't store large apps or music where 16GB is more than adequate. I was finally going to jump to 32GB this year but with 64GB seeming like overkill I might stick with 16GB.

That's the dumbest thing ive ever heard.

So you were going to jump up to 32gb because you needed it- but now that it's 64gb- and the same price- you aren't?

• Reply 11 of 50
    andysolandysol Posts: 2,506member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by fallenjt View Post

Dude- I bought a 64gb before.  This is a price cut of $100.  It is a good deal!

• Reply 12 of 50
    That doesn't make sense logically though, if you were willing to pay for 32GB, you're still get another free 32GB, it's the same price. 

I admit I was wrong on this, the other day I was convinced there had to be a 32 one way or another, but alas I was wrong. 64 for me.

andysol wrote: »
    That's the dumbest thing ive ever heard.

So you were going to jump up to 32gb because you needed it- but now that it's 64gb- and the same price- you aren't?

That's the thing, I don't need it but thought with the growing size of the OS might just get it to be safe, and I then I stated 64GB feels like overkill. I'm talking about perception. I'm fully aware that the same scenario with having 16GB for the iPhone 6 with an ever increasing iOS size hasn't changed, hence my " seeming like overkill". But I did word the end poorly by saying "I might stick with 16GB." It would have been better stated as, "It crossed my mind momentarily on sticking with my current capacity because 64GB feels excessive."
  • Reply 13 of 50
    nofeernofeer Posts: 2,427member
    pre order process???
    can you pre order from the iPhone apple store app???

what's earliest on the 12th this pre order starts???
  • Reply 14 of 50
    chronsterchronster Posts: 1,894member

No, Tallest Skill, it isn't brilliant, it's tacky.  Apple is devolving, and little things like this are proof.  

A brilliant move isn't something Joe consumer figures out on the spot and gets pissed about.  A brilliant move is getting Joe consumer to buy the bigger model and feel like he's getting a deal.  You don't do that jumping from 16 to 64. 

• Reply 15 of 50
    it makes sense, and was predictable.

many people don't need more than 16gb. why take on the cost of providing everyone with something that only some people need/want. yet for those who do want it, provide them with more for the same cost. everyone is happy. except for trolls, who are never happy.
  • Reply 16 of 50
    Quote:

That's the thing, I don't need it but thought with the growing size of the OS might just get it to be safe, and I then I stated 64GB feels like overkill. I'm talking about perception. I'm fully aware that the same scenario with having 16GB for the iPhone 6 with an ever increasing iOS size hasn't changed, hence my " seeming like overkill". But I did word the end poorly by saying "I might stick with 16GB." It would have been better stated as, "It crossed my mind momentarily on sticking with my current capacity because 64GB feels excessive."

I understand where you're coming from. I've had 32 for some time now, and if 64 wasn't the same price now, I'd go back to 16 before paying more for 64 since it's beyond what I need on a regular basis. 

• Reply 17 of 50
    chronsterchronster Posts: 1,894member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Andysol View Post

Dude- I bought a 64gb before.  This is a price cut of $100.  It is a good deal!

Yeah, I remember when I bought a 128gb ssd for like $300.  Now a 128gb ssd is around $60, which means it's a good deal!  It isn't just the natural progression of technological affordability or ANYTHING like that! :D

• Reply 18 of 50
    Originally Posted by chronster View Post

No, Tallest Skill, it isn't brilliant, it's tacky.

Then every storage tier they’ve ever done is tacky.

A brilliant move isn't something Joe consumer figures out on the spot and gets pissed about.

Yeah, see, regular people have been surveyed. They find the pricing to be affordable. They’re going to look at this, see 4x the space for only an extra 100, and buy it. Period.

A brilliant move is getting Joe consumer to buy the bigger model and feel like he's getting a deal.

Which is exactly what this does.

You don't do that jumping from 16 to 64. 

So how do you do it, exactly? By offering only twice the storage for 100 instead of four times?

• Reply 19 of 50
    h2ph2p Posts: 329member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by chronster View Post

...A brilliant move isn't something Joe consumer figures out on the spot and gets pissed about.  A brilliant move is getting Joe consumer to buy the bigger model and feel like he's getting a deal.  You don't do that jumping from 16 to 64. 

chronster - You don't seem to understand that iPhone buyers will get a 64gb chip for the PRICE of a 32gb chip (previous price). On this one, I'm Joe consumer -- I've owed 2 iPhones, both 16gb. I've outgrown them and had to uninstall a few apps, get rid of a bit of music to leave room for pictures and video. Then I make sure to clear off my photos/video ASAP to leave room for the next round. I had determined that I'm going for the 32 (now 64!). Great.

• Reply 20 of 50
    chronster wrote: »
    No, Tallest Skill, it isn't brilliant, it's tacky.  Apple is devolving, and little things like this are proof.  

A brilliant move isn't something Joe consumer figures out on the spot and gets pissed about.  A brilliant move is getting Joe consumer to buy the bigger model and feel like he's getting a deal.  You don't do that jumping from 16 to 64. 

I think it's both brilliant and tacky. Here's why…

In my situation, as poorly stated previously, I was hoping they would double up the capacities at a give price point this time. They did, save for the lowest capacity model, which means my desire for a 32GB iPhone 6 cannot happen at the $199 price point. Instead I will have to pay $299 for the 64GB model. That's brilliant! And I agree it's tacky but it's not even close to being an issue, especially when there are so many other visual advances of the newer device.