Apple Watch will come in two sizes & three collections, with six different strap styles

Comments

• Reply 21 of 102
    Originally Posted by SolipsismX View Post

2) Does this run iOS, Pico OS, or something else? It seems very iOS-ish but that seems like a power hog,

It may run a modification of the iPod nano software.

• Reply 22 of 102
    sockrolidsockrolid Posts: 2,789member

Originally Posted by maxtosh View Post

BTW, the stock peaked at apple pay and has been dropping since the iWatch was revealed. I think a lot of people are nervous how this will fly. 

First rule of AAPL investing: "Buy on rumor, sell on news."

• Reply 23 of 102
    Ugh. Thought Apple would bring it with a killer use case for the iWatch, like advanced medical tracking.

Seems just as pointless as the competitors on the market. What can I do with it that I can't do better with my phone which is 1 ft away from my wrist?
  • Reply 24 of 102
    MarvinMarvin Posts: 15,322moderator
    andysol wrote: »
    It'll likely be a one-time authorization when you're setting up your watch.  Then- when it's within range, it'll work still.

Essentially- theyd have to steal your fingers, your watch, and your phone.  If that happens- you have more to worry about than credit card fraud :)

If the watch works in range, they'd just have to steal the watch and phone to be able to make payments without requiring any security but perhaps the watch can detect a different wrist and it's unlikely someone would be able to steal both a watch and phone unless they knock you out or threaten you with a weapon.
  • Reply 25 of 102

This is the most impressive watch UI I've ever seen, also the watch's performance was smooth and flawless. I adore how well the wrist gesture worked, at first I thought it would be a bit gimmicky but seeing it work changed all that, of course I'll have to try it out first.

So they made several armbands and colors for the same frame, it would've been more fitting (given that a watch is a strong fashion statement) if they made other frame designs as well, I have a feeling that'll be coming in the future. 

I'm no stock-market expert, but I have a feeling AAPL will drop for a while until the market people wrap their heads around what happened today, and after ApplePAY and the iPhone 6 start churning in some stats.

Final observation: Too bad the Apple Watch missed the xmas boat, it would've been the perfect gift for the year and would've definitely kicked the Kindle out of Amazon's top spot.

• Reply 26 of 102
    dasanman69dasanman69 Posts: 13,002member
    sockrolid wrote: »
    More like 6 versions of existing-smart-watch-crushing.

Different markets. If it worked cross platform you'd be correct.
  • Reply 27 of 102
    sockrolidsockrolid Posts: 2,789member

Originally Posted by SockRolid View Post

More like 6 versions of existing-smart-watch-crushing.

Different markets. If it worked cross platform you'd be correct.

The basic Apple Watch needs an iPhone to work.  Tim didn't say anything about the Sport and Edition lines, did he?  I don't remember him saying whether the mid- and top-level Apple Watches can function autonomously.  

Or did  Tim group all Apple watches into a single "Apple Watch" umbrella?   (As opposed to the "Apple Watch" low-end line vs. the "Apple Watch Sport" and "Apple Watch Edition" lines.)  Sounded to me like just the low-end line needed an iPhone.  Then again, Tim didn't give us too much detail on that.

• Reply 28 of 102
    rogifanrogifan Posts: 10,669member
    Just looking at photos of the watch on Apple's website and it looks very well made, high quality materials. And looking at the screen shots the bezel doesn't stand out at all. No it doesn't look that much different than some of the Android Wear devices but I'll bet it's better made.
  • Reply 29 of 102
    pazuzupazuzu Posts: 1,728member
    Looks like my 6th gen iPod shuffle without the health kit.

Very Casio.
  • Reply 30 of 102
    pazuzupazuzu Posts: 1,728member
    schlack wrote: »
    Ugh. Thought Apple would bring it with a killer use case for the iWatch, like advanced medical tracking.

Seems just as pointless as the competitors on the market. What can I do with it that I can't do better with my phone which is 1 ft away from my wrist?

Get an electric shock easier?
  • Reply 31 of 102

"iPod Nano/shuffle" watch, but with a great UI, that does more. 

Different styles and colours. 

"Let's make a watch out of the 6th Gen Nano. Might as well wear it on your wrist. 

And let's make it so you can do more stuff with it."

Makes a lot of sense when you think about it. 

• Reply 32 of 102

If you don't already have a "smart watch," I guess you will wonder what the use of the Apple Watch will be. Even my Pebble, as simple and limited as it is, is incredibly useful when it actually works correctly. I think enough people will find the Apple Watch essential, as many now find our smartphones even though we don't use them solely to make phone calls. The key for me will be looks and battery life. In the looks department, I think it is ok. Apple will have to come up with more variety for watch cases for future generations. Battery life has to be more than a day or it will be a big hassle. One good thing about Apple products. The resale value is always very good, so it makes upgrading in the future less painful. 

• Reply 33 of 102
    crowleycrowley Posts: 10,453member
    It looks alright. Not exactly leagues ahead of the competition, but alright. Not exactly mind blowing, but expecting that was asking for disappointment.

I'll wait until I see one to judge it any more. So far, it looks ... just alright.
  • Reply 34 of 102
    maestro64maestro64 Posts: 5,043member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by stuffe View Post

Don't see how it's Apple Pay compatible if there is no Touch ID on the phone. I suppose you would have to fiddle around in your pants with one hand and wave your other one around in front of the sensor.

I was wondering that too, but i think they are assuming the watch and phone being close to one another is enough, People phones get stolen not their watch and phone at the same time. I would imagine the watch will not make a payment unless it is linked with your phone and the phone has to be close to the watch. 

• Reply 35 of 102
    solipsismxsolipsismx Posts: 19,566member
    crowley wrote: »
    It looks alright. Not exactly leagues ahead of the competition, but alright. Not exactly mind blowing, but expecting that was asking for disappointment.

I'll wait until I see one to judge it any more. So far, it looks ... just alright.

I agree with the look, but the internal aspects seem pretty great. The new S1 chip, the inductive charging and the home button knob are nice.
  • Reply 36 of 102
    I think Apple have missed the boat again. We don't want tiny screens on our wrists. Samsung has got it right again - I want nothing less than a 3.5 inch screen, with 1080 HD and an SD card slot on my smart watch /s
  • Reply 37 of 102
    dachardachar Posts: 330member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by blackbook View Post

They made a f***ing gold version and you're saying they didn't focus on the jewel aspect of the watch? Unbelievable.

As Jony said Switzerland is f***ed!

Whist it may have been reported in some places, having seen and heard Jony Ive speak in Apple videos, it does not seem to me that the language he would have used was "Switzerland is f***ed".  Many Swiss watches are high quality, well designed products that a designer like Jony will probably greatly admire.  What I can believe is that other smart watch makers might now be saying something like "We are well and truly  ****** ." 

• Reply 38 of 102
    MarvinMarvin Posts: 15,322moderator
    blackbook wrote: »
    They made a f***ing gold version and you're saying they didn't focus on the jewel aspect of the watch? Unbelievable.

As Jony said Switzerland is f***ed!

Just making a gold version of something doesn't make it attractive. Square digital watches are tacky looking. This is like a $350 Casio watch. There's nothing about the shape to glint in the light.

I never thought I'd see the day Apple was outdone in style, availability and price by the likes of Motorola:

What's the deal with the physical dial? This is horrendous. Can you imagine panning something then grabbing the dial and twisting in and out? It's so unintuitive. And why have two buttons when they could have you hold a button in? The UI isn't nice either and to require the use of the phone is such a bad move. Some Android watches have their own cellular capability and if telecoms operators let you share the data charges with the phone, they're going to make fun of the watch that is an accessory to the phone you can't leave behind.

This will never affect sales of luxury analog watches and it will never sell in high volume when the Moto 360 is $100 less.

Tim was even using a similar tagline during the presentation "Moto 360 begs to be worn", he said it was 'made to be worn' or something.

It's good they have so many different styles but people aren't going to buy a sports model and an edition model for different occasions. Missing the Christmas sales is going to kill this dead.
  • Reply 39 of 102
    MacProMacPro Posts: 19,727member
    crowley wrote: »

Don't judge a book by its cover. My Rolex is better looking but it does squat.
  • Reply 40 of 102

One thing that strikes me about how Apple Watch is being presented is how much emphasis on customization/personalization is made. On the one hand (no pun intended), long, careful thought at Apple has arrived at hardware/software design that says, "this is pretty much how we think it should be done. Don't mess with it." An approach that I actually appreciate. In this case, that same thought process results in recognition right up front that customization is the way it should be done for a wearable device. This may seem obvious, but I don't know what other wearable tech out there offers this degree of choice.