Apple Watch revealed: A wrist-worn, personalized communications & fitness device with 'digital crown

Comments

• Reply 101 of 267

I can't say I really want a smart watch, but I will buy one of these anyway :)

• Reply 102 of 267
    TL,DR;

Going to comment first, then read posts bottom to top ...

Love the watches ...

Wonder how much additional bands cost -- I suspect a watch oner will buy multiple bands -- a goldmine for Apple ...

Think the rotating physical crown is a weak point -- suspect that by release they will accomplish this without physical movement (looks it was designed for that).

Fantastic that the watches work with ApplePay!

The iPhones make nice accessories for the Apple watches :D
  • Reply 103 of 267
    Quote:

Originally Posted by tundraboy View Post

fact the only drawback of wearing a watch is that people who don't want to wear a watch will bother me for the time because they can't muster the effort required to check their own phones.

Watch is like smoking. When you've one, you check time every five seconds. When you really get rid of it (and, as I said, for me wearing a watch is an ancient story), you just realize how futile this is and how seldom in a day you really need to have a precise reading of time. Besides, your brain develop a sort of time-awareness that is just hobbled when you wear a wristwatch. 

• Reply 104 of 267
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by EauVive View Post

As will ‘watch out’ :)

Speaking of ?Pay, I think they'll have a hard time puffing it here in France. Our new (but standard) VISA cards already have a NFC antenna installed so you can pay with them without even having to remove them from your wallet.

The wallet is so last year :) The future is walletless. I have a stack of 20 cards in my wallet, I hate it, will be glad to see it die.

• Reply 105 of 267
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Hans01 View Post

I own all of the other Apple products and really wanted to like the watch too. I think it would be an awesome stand alone product but if I have to have my iPhone with me to do anything why have the watch. I do think it looks great and hope they sell a ton of them. 

Forgot to say I will be replacing my 4s with a new iPhone 6!

• Reply 106 of 267
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Evilution View Post

Useless to you doesn't mean useless to others.

I can imagine this selling very well.

Of course, I already responded on this (I speak only for myself)

Oh yeah, it will sell because it is branded Apple and watches are still nice objects to offer for a birthday or Xmas when nothing else comes to mind.

And it's more sexy than a smartphone.

Nevertheless, unlike smartphones, the concept of Swiss-knife watches has already been tried during the '80 and the '90 when some watches could do all but fry your eggs. Somehow, people returned to the real Mc Coy. I'm not sure it's gonna be that popular.

• Reply 107 of 267
    Quote:

Originally Posted by monstrosity View Post

The wallet is so last year :) The future is walletless. I have a stack of 20 cards in my wallet, I hate it, will be glad to see it die.

Uh. You're a kingpin with a lot of bank accounts. I have one credit card, and I manage to do everything with it since years. I belong to the rabble, though ;)

• Reply 108 of 267
    Quote:

Watch is like smoking. When you've one, you check time every five seconds. When you really get rid of it (and, as I said, for me wearing a watch is an ancient story), you just realize how futile this is and how seldom in a day you really need to have a precise reading of time. Besides, your brain develop a sort of time-awareness that is just hobbled when you wear a wristwatch. 

You claim this to be personal opinion, so why all the second-person usage?

(I wear a watch regularly... time-awareness? No.  Check every five seconds? No.)

• Reply 109 of 267
    Quote:

Uh. You're a kingpin with a lot of bank accounts. I have one credit card, and I manage to do everything with it since years. I belong to the rabble, though ;)

They are not all credit/debit cards! Entry cards and so on, all of which need not exist in the future.

• Reply 110 of 267
    Quote:

Originally Posted by PScooter63 View Post

You claim this to be personal opinion, so why all the second-person usage?

(I wear a watch regularly... time-awareness? No.  Check every five seconds? No.)

Uh. Sorry, that was a little provocative, agreed.

In the same vein, there is a joke in France which goes like this:

“What is the only object you can’t snitch from a state employee during his work hours?

Ans: their watch, because (s)he checks it every five seconds.”

• Reply 111 of 267
    eauvive wrote: »
    evilution wrote: »

Useless to you doesn't mean useless to others.
    I can imagine this selling very well.

Of course, I already responded on this (I speak only for myself)
    Oh yeah, it will sell because it is branded Apple and watches are still nice objects to offer for a birthday or Xmas when nothing else comes to mind.
    And it's more sexy than a smartphone.

Nevertheless, unlike smartphones, the concept of Swiss-knife watches has already been tried during the '80 and the '90 when some watches could do all but fry your eggs. Somehow, people returned to the real Mc Coy. I'm not sure it's gonna be that popular.

You can quickly and securely buy fried eggs with an Apple Watch -- it will revolutionize the way people shop and gift.
  • Reply 112 of 267
    antkm1antkm1 Posts: 1,441member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

It was stated in the keynote that ?Watch requires an iPhone (I imagine an iPad, too). That’s going to be a restriction. Not that a standalone wouldn’t have had its own restrictions, but having to own both is going to self-limit the number they can sell.

?Watch can control music on your computer! That’s pretty great. You could be at a house party or whatever and change things up right on your wrist.

I'd imagine if it can control apps on your mac and (as Tim said, his  Apple TV), then there must be some sort of independent element about the device.  I think it's telling that they did not give you much about the specs.  No storage options?  so you can only control things like a remote, not store music or playlists.  So if i want to go out for a run or cycling and want to listen to a podcast or music, I still have to bring a device I can stream from.  I don't see a headphone jack.  Where does the music come from?  Blutooth i'd presume but not sure from the iPhone or the Apple Watch?

• Reply 113 of 267
    Quote:

Originally Posted by monstrosity View Post

They are not all credit/debit cards! Entry cards and so on, all of which need not exist in the future.

You’re right. Sometime in the future, a miniaturized chip with NFC capabilities will be implanted under the skin at birth, and we will have all data stored in it: identity, criminal offenses, bank accounts, health problems, etc.

• Reply 114 of 267
    Quote:

Originally Posted by gwmac View Post

Thank God they have one in gold. I do not ever want to wear plastic on my wrist that is seen in public and at work. I love the variety for many tastes. This immediately made the competition look cheap and obsolete. (more than they already were)

Anyone want to buy a Breitlling? 

Wall Street seems pleased. AAPL up 2.37

and there's your $1000 Apple Watch rumor.

• Reply 115 of 267
    Originally Posted by antkm1 View Post

I'd imagine if it can control apps on your mac and (as Tim said, his  Apple TV), then there must be some sort of independent element about the device.

Bluetooth to iPhone, iPhone’s Wi-Fi to local Wi-Fi network.

Quote:

So if i want to go out for a run or cycling and want to listen to a podcast or music, I still have to bring a device I can stream from?

Like they said, it requires an iPhone to work. You couldn’t listen to music on the watch anyway.

• Reply 116 of 267
    I'm hoping gas pumps will start taking NFC payments. Those are typically compromised by hit and run card skimmers.
  • Reply 117 of 267
    flaneurflaneur Posts: 4,526member
    I missed the start of the presentation, did they mention battery life?

Charge every night, lasts all day, so they said. I'm sure early users will suck it dry at first. Major FUD campaign awaits, lots of marginal characters like SirLance, pazuzu, other trolls will revel in pig manure.
  • Reply 118 of 267
    dasanman69dasanman69 Posts: 13,002member
    Will it have a driving mode? It's really simple for someone to look at their wrist whilst driving, and take their eyes off the road.
  • Reply 119 of 267
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Dick Applebaum View Post

You can quickly and securely buy fried eggs with an Apple Watch -- it will revolutionize the way people shop and gift.

I'm sure the watch will also tell you how many calories you've swallowed and by how much your cholesterol rate in your blood has just increased!

• Reply 120 of 267
    Quote:

Originally Posted by BeowulfSchmidt View Post

Honestly, it does more than I need.  At the $349 price, I don't know if I'll get one.  I wish they'd come up with a health only one...

I'm actually very shocked that it's as App rich as it is.  I don't know who copied who, but its seems like Apple wasn't thinking outside the boundaries of the term "Watch" when they designed this.  The first thing they talked about was how accurate it tells the time.  That's not innovation.  that's not a personal experience.  There are a billion other devices out there that do this.  All the other apps?  I find the interface confusing.  the pressure taps vs. the regular taps.  the crown navigation vs. swipes.  There are about 4-5 different ways to interact with the watch. so how is apple going to easily demonstrate that to someone who just bought one online without any prior knowledge?  Just doesn't look very easy to intuitive to use.  Maybe it's much better than the Moto 360 or the Pebble, but I just don't see it.