Apple Watch features include fitness tracking, Apple Pay, Siri & inductive charging

Comments

• Reply 21 of 58
    I wonder, will you be able to design specially built apps for it? It's be strange if you couldn't.
  • Reply 22 of 58
    Originally Posted by TheRealTom View Post

I wonder, will you be able to design specially built apps for it? It's be strange if you couldn't.

You can design your iOS app to have iWatch compatibility and an interface, but as it doesn’t work without an iPhone…

• Reply 23 of 58
    malaxmalax Posts: 1,598member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by TheRealTom View Post

Yes.  Developers will be getting the details "later this year."

• Reply 24 of 58
    docno42docno42 Posts: 3,755member
    Induction charging was my only must have for hardware - I'm very happy to see it.

Now I just need to make or get somone to make a holder for my nightstand with the charger built in. Take the watch off before bed, charges while I sleep. No biggie. Who want to sleep with a huge thing strapped to your wrist?
  • Reply 25 of 58
    malaxmalax Posts: 1,598member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by NOFEER View Post

watches are "resistant" to so many meters

my timex is to 50meters i wear it ALL THE TIME never take it off

wear it in the shower in the rain etc

so if this is resistant to 50m and does apple pay with my 5s Hmmmmmmm

AND THE BIG QUESTION

how often do you need to charge this puppy?

does the charger come with the phone or separate?

I'm in the same boat you are, somewhat.  I take my watch off in the shower, but keep it on while sleeping.  I like being able to check the time without squinting at a bedside clock.  So I would prefer not having to take it off at night, but oh well.  I expect I'll be a somewhat late adopter.  Maybe by the second version they'll have better charging options (not that I know the details of the current one of course).

• Reply 26 of 58
    dachardachar Posts: 330member

What will be the real cost of the basic iWatch? With all those different types of straps I suspect these will be at various prices as an additional cost on top of the $349. Anyone know the likely costs for the straps?

• Reply 27 of 58
    docno42docno42 Posts: 3,755member
    therealtom wrote: »
    No, but you'd at least expect it to get past 100 dollars.

Not if you have any history of watching Apple stock around announcements.

For any other company you are right - it would go up. For some reason Apple has to prove it by shipping scads of devices and then Apple stock might take off.

Amazon never turning a profit? No problem - buy! Apple owning the majority of profit in large market segments? Can't risk that...
  • Reply 28 of 58
    Does the Apple Watch have NFC? I think I saw a picture with someone wearing the watch near a NFC reader, but I'm not sure.

Edit: I found the image: http://cdn.arstechnica.net/wp-content/uploads/2014/09/IMG_0922.jpg
  • Reply 29 of 58
    iaeeniaeen Posts: 588member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Andysol View Post

Never does.  In 2016 people will be wondering what they did before it (like the iPad).  This isn't game-changing, yet.  But once developers developers developers get their hands on it, it'll be impressive.

I really like it.

Four clarifying comments that are still needed:

1- No Battery Life claim

2- No Waterproof/Water Resistant claim

3- No Sizes mentioned- just big and small

4- Confused on pricing.  Is smaller less/more than the larger?  Is the sport more or the same (as it uses a lesser material).

38mm and 42mm

• Reply 30 of 58
    rcfarcfa Posts: 1,124member
    The question is: will the watch "replace" what's missing from the iPhone 5/5s/5c and enable these models wirelessly with NFC or will it only act as a remote wrist relay for the iPhone 6/6+
  • Reply 31 of 58
    jungmarkjungmark Posts: 6,926member
    adefowler wrote: »

Missing the holiday sales period is a bit of a disaster in my honest opinion.

Rushing a product out just to sell before the holidays would be a worse disaster.
  • Reply 32 of 58
    dasanman69dasanman69 Posts: 13,002member
    jungmark wrote: »
    Rushing a product out just to sell before the holidays would be a worse disaster.

Then why announce it now?
  • Reply 33 of 58
    jungmarkjungmark Posts: 6,926member
    dasanman69 wrote: »

Same reason they announced the iPhone and iPad months early: FCC regulations will make it public anyways prior to release.
  • Reply 34 of 58
    Did they mention if it has any built in RAM for songs? Really don't want to brings along a 4.7" iphone along on runs and to the gym. That's kind of the main feature I was hoping for. Just Bluetooth headphones and the apple watch.
  • Reply 35 of 58
    Originally Posted by dasanman69 View Post

No competition from the rest of the company and a non-holiday year’s worth of sales gives a better idea of how the product will do.

• Reply 36 of 58
    solipsismxsolipsismx Posts: 19,566member
    dasanman69 wrote: »

Two reasons: Control of the announcement and needing to get partners onboard.

Apple can't stop leaks from 3rd-party vendors when there is a huge volume of merchandise ready to sell so if they waited until next year we would know everything about it.

Also, look at how many months of lead time ALL their new product announcements had before going on sale. This is not an unusual event.
  • Reply 37 of 58
    jungmark wrote: »
    Same reason they announced the iPhone and iPad months early: FCC regulations will make it public anyways prior to release.

That's not an answer, it's a deflection.
  • Reply 38 of 58
    solipsismx wrote: »
    Two reasons: Control of the announcement and needing to get partners onboard.

Apple can't stop leaks from 3rd-party vendors when there is a huge volume of merchandise ready to sell so if they waited until next year we would know everything about it.

Also, look at how many months of lead time ALL their new product announcements had before going on sale. This is not an unusual event.

See [@]jungmark[/@], that's how a question is answered. Thank Soli, that makes much sense.
  • Reply 39 of 58
    After seeing the Samsung Gear S last week and hearing everything great about Apple's version (Ive's Swiss comment, ABC's historic moment, etc) this watch is telling me that Apple dropped the ball big time with this one.

- Music via bluetooth headphones?
    - no SIM card for cell connectivity?
    - battery life?
    - make/receive calls?

I mean this bulky thing is even WORSE than the mockups!!! If I sound disappointed it's because I am. I wanted the perfect watch, not this. I would have laughed if someone had told me that this was even just an early prototype from Apple. What does Ive even do anymore?
  • Reply 40 of 58
    solipsismxsolipsismx Posts: 19,566member
    ajbdtc826 wrote: »
    - Music via bluetooth headphones?
    - no SIM card for cell connectivity?

Those are horrible ideas for 2014 so I'm very glad it doesn't have those.