Apple announces 4.7" iPhone 6 and 5.5" iPhone 6 Plus: New design, A8 CPU, Retina HD display

18911131418

Comments

  • Reply 201 of 343
    Quote:

    Originally Posted by PhilBoogie View Post



    I'm sure many are happy with these new display sizes, but for me they're too large. Unfortunately they didn't make a new 4" so now I need to decide if I want all the new HW features or settle with last year's 5s. Problem is with the latter, they most likely won't make a 4" anymore so at some point the 4.7" will be their smallest iPhone.



    Still, happy for all those people using larger Android devices; they now don't have any reason not to switch over/back to iOS.

     

    My sentiments precisely. If one thing wins me over to a 6 model at the moment, it's battery life.

  • Reply 202 of 343
    chronsterchronster Posts: 1,894member
    Quote:

    Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

     

     

    I don’t get it. The phone is too large for its interface to be used with one hand. Apple explicitly admits this.

     

    Ah, I see. If you say it long enough, that makes it true.

     

    The “overwhelming number”, meaning 10% of the market? Okay¡


     

    Depends on the hand, I guess.  I know a guy who's 6'7'' and has hands that look like a bushel of BANANAS.  Personally that 4.7 inch seems like the sweet spot for me.  I've got a 4.7 inch Android and it is perfect for one handed use.  5.5?  I could see that being a bit much for me.  I've held the Samsung Note and thought it was more like a tablet.

     

    As far as predictions - a few years isn't very long, and I didn't need to say it much before being lambasted left and right, so it's not like I've been walking the street with a sign warning people of the pending big iphones or something.  It's just something people were saying was going to happen.

     

    As far as an "overwhelming number"  - 10% of the phone market is an overwhelming number.  You might not think so, but that's some serious money being lost on something as simple as screen size.  When I type on my wife's iphone, I'm constantly having to redo things because I'm used to being able to be slightly sloppy about it.  A bigger screen does that to you.  I'm one of those people who view a 4.7inch screen as perfect.

     

    Also, if the number of people asking for this wasn't substantial, Apple wouldn't be doing it.  C'mon

  • Reply 203 of 343
    Quote:

    Originally Posted by EricTheHalfBee View Post

     

    So the A8 is 25% faster. However it's also more efficient than the A7.

     

    What I want to know is where are all the extra transistors? A7 was over 1 billion, A8 is over 2 billion. More cache? Memory? Additional GPU's?


     

    Eric - congratulations on your mobile payments prediction! It looks to me as though you were spot on! 

  • Reply 204 of 343
    Who hoo! 5.5 inch screen! I'm buying. Thank you Apple! THIS is what we wanted when we asked for a bigger screen NOT iPhone 5.
  • Reply 205 of 343
    chronsterchronster Posts: 1,894member
    Quote:

    Originally Posted by Benjamin Frost View Post

     

     

    My sentiments precisely. If one thing wins me over to a 6 model at the moment, it's battery life.


     

    Go to the Apple store and hold the 4.7 inch 6 when they come out.  Tell me that's too big.  I mean really, I've had a 4.7 inch screen now for 3 years, and I can't imagine going much bigger or smaller.  If you're of average build, 4.7 inch will feel very natural.

     

    For people like my wife, however (teeny tiny Thai hands lol) she's gonna be like you and not want the new screen.  There's really not THAT much of an improvement over the 5s that you will be losing out significantly.  I'm sure next year they'll reintroduce the 4" in the new model, knowing the 5s can make it another year compared to the competition on the market.

  • Reply 206 of 343
    Originally Posted by chronster View Post

    Depends on the hand, I guess.  I know a guy who's 6'7'' and has hands that look like a bushel of BANANAS. Personally that 4.7 inch seems like the sweet spot for me.


     

    Bingo.

     
    As far as an overwhelming number  - 10% of the phone market is an overwhelming number. Also, if the number of people asking for this wasn't substantial, Apple wouldn't be doing it.  C'mon

     

    Not when the regular iPhone commands the rest, it isn’t. 

     

    Look, it’s 10% now with garbage phones–I imagine it may even get up to a quarter thanks to the iPhone name. But that’s still only a quarter of phones! Ten percent isn’t substantial at all!

     
    When I type on my wife's iphone, I'm constantly having to redo things because I'm used to being able to be slightly sloppy about it.

     

    Part of that could also be her auto-correct expects her and not you, but I certainly see what you’re saying.

     

    I'm one of those people who view a 4.7inch screen as perfect.


     

    I don’t have banana hands, but I’m feeling sort of the same way. I warmed up to the screen size via holding the HTC One, and the iPhone 6 is three millimeters thinner than that!

     

    Originally Posted by AppleFanPro View Post

    Who hoo! 5.5 inch screen! I'm buying. Thank you Apple! THIS is what we wanted when we asked for a bigger screen NOT iPhone 5.



    Not really.

  • Reply 207 of 343
    dasanman69dasanman69 Posts: 12,985member
    I don’t get it. The phone is too large for its interface to be used with one hand. Apple explicitly admits this.

    Why did they make such a big phone? Releasing 2 different sizes is very unApple.
  • Reply 208 of 343
    kevliu1980 wrote: »
    Oh man, I can't believe the phones look exactly like the leaks. I was holding out hope that the back and sides would look different than the leaks but they are exact.

    I'll reserve final judgement until I hold it in-hand, but it's the first industrial design I've seen from Apple that I didn't love on first look. It looks borderline ugly to me :(
  • Reply 209 of 343
    dasanman69dasanman69 Posts: 12,985member
    chronster wrote: »
    Also, if the number of people asking for this wasn't substantial, Apple wouldn't be doing it.  C'mon

    It's a sad day when Apple does what people ask for. It's obvious that SJ's Apple is gone.
  • Reply 210 of 343
    Quote:

    Originally Posted by dasanman69 View Post





    Why did they make such a big phone? Releasing 2 different sizes is very unApple.

     

    This is something that I'm also wondering.

     

    Apple's manufacturing capacity is already stretched.

     

    As if they hadn't learned from the incident with the 5S and 5C... expecting in the beginning to sell more 5Cs and less 5Ss... but they were still only dealing with 3 models. Now they want to throw even more balls into the air.

     

    In my opinion, the 4.7 was enough.

     

    We'll see.

  • Reply 211 of 343
    rogifanrogifan Posts: 10,669member
    I noticed on Apple's webpage for iPhone they don't talk about much. With the 5s they had a separate page for design and one for features. I'm not completely sold that Apple wanted to make bigger phones, regardless of what Phil says. And I didn't hear much about breakthrough display technology that would indicate it wasn't possible to release a larger phone before this year. My guess is Apple is doing this because they had to, not because they wanted to.

    Something about this phone seems very off. And my guess is Jony Ive was heavily involved in the watch project and that was eating up most of his time. And I also think because the 5/5s was complex from a manufacturing standpoint the 6 was all about being easier to manufacture. Not sure if I'll get one when my contract is up in January. Maybe wait for the 6s when the phone has sapphire glass display and the 4.7" model gets OIS. And maybe by the time Apple figures out how to make the antenna lines less visible.
  • Reply 212 of 343

    Any word on the RAM specs?

  • Reply 213 of 343
    Quote:

    Originally Posted by Rogifan View Post



    I noticed on Apple's webpage for iPhone they don't talk about much. With the 5s they had a separate page for design and one for features. I'm not completely sold that Apple wanted to make bigger phones, regardless of what Phil says. And I didn't hear much about breakthrough display technology that would indicate it wasn't possible to release a larger phone before this year. My guess is Apple is doing this because they had to, not because they wanted to.



    Something about this phone seems very off. And my guess is Jony Ive was heavily involved in the watch project and that was eating up most of his time. And I also think because the 5/5s was complex from a manufacturing standpoint the 6 was all about being easier to manufacture. Not sure if I'll get one when my contract is up in January. Maybe wait for the 6s when the phone has sapphire glass display and the 4.7" model gets OIS. And maybe by the time Apple figures out how to make the antenna lines less visible.

     

    Yeah. In the end, Jony Ive is one man, and he can only concentrate on so much. I guess the iPhone is getting old news for him now, which is fair enough, as he's been designing it for eight years plus. I'm not taken with the watch; it's all a bit fiddly and superfluous.

  • Reply 214 of 343
    dasanman69dasanman69 Posts: 12,985member
    rogifan wrote: »
    My guess is Apple is doing this because they had to, not because they wanted to.

    They suffered from what I call Daffy Duck syndrome, 'can only do it once'; that's when you make a product so good that you leave yourself no options to improve it, so you have to find other ways to improve it even if it's something once ridiculed. What are they going to do 2 years from now?
  • Reply 215 of 343
    dasanman69dasanman69 Posts: 12,985member
    In my opinion, the 4.7 was enough.

    I couldn't agree more. IMO the 5.5" could've waited for the next refresh.
  • Reply 216 of 343
    cnocbuicnocbui Posts: 3,613member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

     

     

    The “overwhelming number”, meaning 10% of the market? Okay¡


     

    And there you go with one of your classic dumb-as-f**k one-liners that are so incredibly wrong, people scarcely know where to start with a response.

     

    Quote:

     What exactly do people want to see in the next iPhone? 

     

    Coupon website WalletHero conducted a survey asking people what features they wanted to see in the iPhone 6 and 97% of its 1,500 respondents said they would be more likely to buy the next iPhone if it had better battery life.



     



    http://www.businessinsider.com/iphone-6-survey-battery-life-2014-7

     
  • Reply 217 of 343
    Originally Posted by dasanman69 View Post

    What are they going to do 2 years from now?



    7.2” iPhone.

     

    Originally Posted by cnocbui View Post

    And there you go with one of your classic dumb-as-f**k one-liners that are so incredibly wrong, people scarcely know where to start with a response.


     

    I didn’t know that “battery life” and “screen size” meant the same thing, but okay. Thanks for the links that prove me right, though!

  • Reply 218 of 343

    2 years from now will be iBone.  A Bone shaped construction of 7.2" in size.

  • Reply 219 of 343

    Protruding lens!

     

    =fail.

  • Reply 220 of 343
    dnd0psdnd0ps Posts: 253member
    Quote:

    Originally Posted by Richard Getz View Post

     

    Thanks Apple. Live feed SUCKS!!!!! 


    cleared up after the iPhone part for me. Heads will roll at Cupertino

Sign In or Register to comment.